PS4 And Xbox One Have An 'Exclusive' Problem

Psygnosis were pretty much pioneers of the thin-veneer game, all style and not much substance.
They certainly did some weird games, did you play Barbarian on the Amiga/ST which was an icon driven fighter? WTF! But then they put out awesome games like Brataccas which was next to impossible to play except on a high-res monitor, and Blood Money, Menace and Obliterator. Then later on PlayStation Destruction Derby then after Sony's acquisition, G-Police (my favourite PS game ever), Colony Wars and Wipeout.

They had way more epic games than oddities but I think it's fair to say that in the early days of the Amiga/ST there was a lot of style over substance.

They certainly did some weird games, did you play Barbarian on the Amiga/ST which was an icon driven fighter? WTF! But then they put out awesome games like Brataccas which was next to impossible to play except on a high-res monitor, and Blood Money, Menace and Obliterator. Then later on PlayStation Destruction Derby then after Sony's acquisition, G-Police (my favourite PS game ever), Colony Wars and Wipeout.

They had way more epic games than oddities but I think it's fair to say that in the early days of the Amiga/ST there was a lot of style over substance.

Shadow of the Beast... How much did they crow about the parallax!

They certainly did some weird games, did you play Barbarian on the Amiga/ST which was an icon driven fighter? WTF! But then they put out awesome games like ...

...Colony Wars ...

*Heavy Sigh*... :cry:

Sony please give us a new one! I'm begging you!

Wow you had a CD32? That's like, proper rich-80's-kids type of gaming.

More like; "properly confused, should have waited for a Playstation and stuck with the SNES poor-90s-teen" type of gamer.

Edit: CD32 not to be confused with CD-i, which I think covers the demographic better.

Wow you had a CD32? That's like, proper rich-80's-kids type of gaming.
I think you may be confusing it with the CDTV.

CDTV
cdtv-right.jpg

CD32
cd32_3_big.jpg

Microcosm was awful. They did follow it up with Novastorm, though. A pretty good shooter in the same style. It was only good on certain systems, though. The PC version was pretty good despite suffering from stamp-sized, windowed FMVs. The Playstation version was prettier, but it was missing entire levels and had its gameplay turned from a hectic yet deliberate shmup into a graceless bullet hell clusterfuck.

Yeah. I remember seeing CD-i and CDTV in the a Debenhams AV department. Of course these days, minimalist boxes with mobile interfaces probably makes more sense. I'd like to see a high-end AV gear version of the consoles though, just to see how well they do. Maybe consumers will pay a little premium for a different style?

I'm sorry but that's a horrible list. Not only did you forget a bunch of PS4 games, you included some last gen games for XB, some unannounced XB games, and one isn't even exclusive. Then you even go on to make a note that some of the PS4 games went unnoticed save for graphics, but make no mention of that for Ryse.

If you want to play the list game, you forgot:
-Uncharted 4
-No Man's Sky
-Until Dawn
-Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
-The Tomorrow Children
-Tearaway Unfolded
-Ratchet & Clank Re-imagined
-Hellblade
-Rime
-Wild
-Hot Shots Golf
-MLB The Show
-The Witness
-LittleBigPlanet
-Planetside 2
-Draw to Death
-The Playroom
-Yakuza
-Persona 5
-Disgaea 5
-Deep Down
-Singstar
-Guilty Gear Xrd
-Plus a bunch of indie and smaller titles that I left out

And since you included unannounced games, God of War is definitely coming. And Guerrilla is working on a new IP.

You say MS has the edge for variety... I COMPLETELY disagree.
Fair enough. Still, we can also talk about the console sellers --not only about the library of games.

PS4 console sellers:

Gran Turismo
The Last of Us
Uncharted
Street Fighter V
Bloodborne
LittleBigPlanet

WiiU console sellers:

Mario
Wario
Mario Kart
F-Zero
Zelda
Metroid

Xbox One console sellers:

Minecraft
Forza
Halo
Ori and the Blind Forest
Killer Instinct
Gears of War
Perfect Dark
Alan Wake --or by extension Quantum Break

If we talk about console sellers, the Xbox One has some extra variety.

In an era where companies admit that they don't go after 3rd party exclusives as they used to, exclusivities are more valuable than ever.

If that's not the case, console gaming could become an oligopoly.

Back