If other games looked like The Order 1886

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm gauging the public opinion on this matter. Mhh.
1) OK, perhaps I went too far there.
2) This is true but it counts also as a comparison between games that do use motion blur and games that don't (although it's somewhat possible to add that in After Effects, actually). Also Ryse's MB implementation is super subtle in comparison to The Order so I also wanted to illustrate that a bit.

You forgot these:
If the plan is to choose the most blurriest shot you can find in the game and equate the entire game experience to that, you'd be doing well.
Look how blurry TLoU was when playing!
Blur2.png

If you want to try a legitimate comparison, you need to match more closely, which in a singular comparison sample would have to be the average (mode) impact of the post processing. That's far less blurred than your opening attempt, or even your second. UltraGPU's image shows Ryse has about the same amount of motion blur itself! The DOF and soft lens effect in TO is low-key. Motion blur is present, but locally on motion, and in motion, showing its impacting in the videos more than the stills. I'm sure no-one would be extolling how beautiful TO:1886 was if all the screenshots were entirely blurred sweeping cameras. For a fair test, you need to take a shot in 1886 and try to match it (estimate blur radius and distribution from 1886 screenshots and reproduce), and not your personal, exaggerated perception of what 1886 looks like.

Just because - we can't do this without paying tribute to one of our own.

g5fP8HK.jpg

Edit: I was trying to match the stonework of the era. ;)

Last edited:
I’m not sure I buy into the whole DOF/motion blur ruin the look of a game. It’s fair to say that in a screenshot you can easily make a game look truly awful, as you can any media, but when you take that screenshot completely out of the context of its game, you remove its merit. I think Shifty Geezer's screenshot of TLOU perfectly demonstrates that; the game never looked like it had too much motion blur when playing, only taking a random screen when swinging the view around makes it appear awful. In reality TLOU never had too much blur.

You could quite easily do the same with a fast action film in a scene showing lots of quick and short shots of people fighting, take a screenshot of a person’s elbow filling up the screen and it could be blurred to the point of just being a smear across the scene. Does that mean the film has awful cinematography? No, I sure don’t think so – it just means the context has been removed.

Personally, I have nothing against games using DOF, motion blur (in moderation), chromatic aberration, or film grain. I feel it can make something feel less ‘gamey’.

The Order 1886 is probably awful though. If the story is strong enough I still may get it for that alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure I buy into the whole DOF/motion blur ruin the look of a game. It’s fair to say that in a screenshot you can easily make a game look truly awful, as you can any media, but when you take that screenshot completely out of the context of its game, you remove its merit. I think Dsoup’s screenshot of TLOU perfectly demonstrates that; the game never looked like it had too much motion blur when playing, only taking a random screen when swinging the view around makes it appear awful. In reality TLOU never had too much blur.

You could quite easily do the same with a fast action film in a scene showing lots of quick and short shots of people fighting, take a screenshot of a person’s elbow filling up the screen and it could be blurred to the point of just being a smear across the scene. Does that mean the film has awful cinematography? No, I sure don’t think so – it just means the context has been removed.

Personally, I have nothing against games using DOF, motion blur (in moderation), chromatic aberration, or film grain. I feel it can make something feel less ‘gamey’.

The Order 1886 is probably awful though. If the story is strong enough I still may get it for that alone.

Agreed. Still shots are bad especially considering there is video readily available to make a better comparison.

Troll thread? When in motion Ryse has a substantial amount of blur too and it looks way better than in still.
In motion.
imTsuAv1o9mlH.png

Still
kVSkPfK.jpg

Still vs still, both unaltered:

kVSkPfK.jpg

image_the_order_1886-27140-2752_0010.jpg

motion vs motion, both unaltered:

imTsuAv1o9mlH.png

ntyznb.png

Crisp and clean, The Order it is not.

The fact of the matter is that every single screenshot/video of The Order is blurry and dirty, BY DESIGN. Even without motion blur there's still chromatic aberration, DOF and noise, not to mention the desaturated, monotonous color palette.

It appears very clear to me that you're suggesting that motion blur causes games (specifically The Order: 1886) to look bad. I have read through both the main game's thread and this one since the start of them both and it would seem that you've taken a dislike to the IQ of the game. It seems you feel very strong about it.

I like the look of the game's effects - the developer has done an amazing job of making the game appear cinematic (not CGI to my eyes). The graphical effects are superb, though I have a strong suspicion the game may well very be poor.

Both look great really, real treats so far.

Edit: Lets not start a trend, I want to be able to see things far off in the distance. :yes: Although it worked in Mass Effect, I would leave the filters on vs off.

Still vs still, both unaltered:

(images removed)

motion vs motion, both unaltered:

(images removed)

Crisp and clean, The Order it is not.

The fact of the matter is that every single screenshot/video of The Order is blurry and dirty, BY DESIGN. Even without motion blur there's still chromatic aberration, DOF and noise, not to mention the desaturated, monotonous color palette.

Is that Ryse shot from the PC or Xbox One? Just curious because it looks really sharp.

The problem with this thread is that we ended up unwillingly assuming that what makes The Order look so good, is ultimately thanks to the "dirty" post processed look when it should be doing a lot more than that

I still think the Order 1888 looks absolutely horrible. And it was my game of E3 for visuals when I first saw it. But the more videos and more screenshots I see the more I hate the graphics.

But that shouldn't surprise me. People loved the blurry look for KZ 2 and 3. So why shouldn't they love the blurry look of The Order? I'm just glad I don't have to play them. :)

And to the OP. Yeah, anything with blur, DOF, motion blur, Chromatic aberration, etc. added just completely destroys the graphics IQ, IMO. Some games can overcome this to some degree with light useage. Others, not so much.

I want my games to look more like real life. And not as if I was nearsighted (among other eye disorders) without glasses. :p

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back