All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I should have said "compared to PS4" - The Order, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, SF5, Gundam, Rime, Tomorrow Children, Deep Down, No Mans Sky just to name a few then there's likely more to come too - we already know PS4 is producing more games including new IPs...I can't see PS4 games drying up.

Well considering two of those games on your list were supposed to be out in 2014 I'd have to say there are good odd's that other games will also be pushed. I was also under the impression that SF5 was a 2016 title but I could be wrong.

For the xbox one I guess we should add Ori , below , Tomb Raider to the list also.

Like I said I'm sure MS will announce more at E3 , I wouldn't be too worried about them.

Its the same source as the one who told me about the upclocks days before that information was leaked out by other sources. I'm not sure what else you expect me to tell you , i'm not going to give you a name.

If you don't believe me that is fine.

How does your dev-friend know about the manufacturing costs of both consoles or has inside information on yields of their chips, doesn't seem like something a person like him would know or be told, and it doesn't even make sense for that upclock to have a drastic effect on the yields, no sense at all... There were plenty of rumors going around the web with regards to some spec upgrades prior to MS announcing them, and that actually is something a dev would probably have information on.

I'm not a fan of people bolstering their posts/opinions with "I know a guys" at least when the info given makes little sense.

How does your dev-friend know about the manufacturing costs of both consoles or has inside information on yields of their chips, doesn't seem like something a person like him would know or be told, and it doesn't even make sense for that upclock to have a drastic effect on the yields, no sense at all... There were plenty of rumors going around the web with regards to some spec upgrades prior to MS announcing them, and that actually is something a dev would probably have information on.

I'm not a fan of people bolstering their posts/opinions with "I know a guys" at least when the info given makes little sense.

That's fine. You can think what you want.

It always struck me that MS should be able to get good yields from their chip despite it's size. They not only have two redundant CUs (like PS4), but also have a huge area of fault tolerant sram. And it seems that degree of being able to soak up faults on the chip should be helpful when they move to a new and smaller process.

MS may be better placed to handle the move down to the next node than Sony, which you'd hope would be reflected in the price they can offer revisions for.

Lower cost and bundling highly desirable games seems to have done a lot for MS this month, and one assume it will be a strategy they'll be looking to use in the run up to Christmas in future years.

Sony does not enforces regional blocking of games purchased in foreign territories. Because of that, people from all over the world are purchasing US PSN wallet cards and buying games in dollars, which offers excellent savings.

Additionally, many people share accounts between 2 or even 3 users, making game purchases via US accounts sometimes even more than 300% cheaper than in their home countries.
Say whaaaaaat? How?

Argos (UK) have a great PS4 bundle, GTA V, TLoU and Far Cry 4 for £350, ends 16th Dec. Easily the best deal I've seen so far for the PS4, Amazon has only a GTA V bundle for the same price.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...Product/partNumber/3554003.htm&referrer=COJUN

And just looking at Amazon, the standard white PS4 is £309. Their stuff is looking pretty bad value in comparison.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-P4HEHWSNY43681-PS4-Console/dp/B00BE4HOIM

WOAH hold the phone, GAME has awesome deals too. FIFA 15, TLoU, DC for £350 - DC, TLoU, FIFA 15, Destiny Vanguard, Watch Dogs + Inbetweeners 2 for £400, CoD instead of FIFA, Transformers instead of Inbetweeners for £400. Some amazing bundles there.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/playstation-4-ps4-consoles/

Looks like Sony aren't happy about MS winning last month by a supposedly large margin. They're playing for keeps!

Looks like Sony aren't happy about MS winning last month by a supposedly large margin. They're playing for keeps!
Lol that's not fair to Sony exactly. We all work full time, I have never heard of a performance objective based on how much better your company beats the competition or how poorly your competitors do? Sure they will look at these numbers but I hope my bonus better not have anything to do with how the competitors are operating !!

We set targets and stretch targets and you hope to meet them.

Respectively to their own goals we won't really know if either company succeeded or failed.

Well, the BOM of the PS4 was reportedly not much higher than the XB1 excluding Kinect. If $349 is the new price of the XB1, Sony could easily match that if they wanted to. The question is, do they care enough to do so when they're leading worldwide at the current price point. My guess is probably not. They still have a significant lead and will probably only drop the price if XB1 starts cutting into that lead. I don't see that happening with the XB1 at $349.

That's if you accept the I Supply report.

It seems common sense to me XBO should be maybe ~$50 cheaper BOM. They're very similar in all respects, die size same within a few %, so it comes down to DDR3 vs GDDR5 imo, and I think there's quite a significant difference there no matter what anybody says. I've always said the XO ESRAM design is not one I favor, but it does have it's positive, and that positive is mainly the allowance of use of cheaper DDR3.

Now just looking at the boxes, I've also always said I could see the XO giving back some of those savings with tank like build quality, sheer size etc.

I dunno, I guess Microsoft quarterly report could give us some hints if they're losing money on XO hardware. My guess it's something around break even or perhaps lose a small amount.

The other issue is the respective financial positions of the companies. Sony probably needs/wants all the profit it can get.

The main thing MS has to care about, besides some bragging rights, is they dont want to slip low enough in share to risk starting to see more and more 3rd party PS4 exclusives. I have no idea where that point is or if they're honestly at all worried about that, but it's a thought. Probably my guess is they aren't anywhere close to that point, and would have to way below even their moribund early 14 levels to get there, but anyway. It's possible they wanted to stave that off with a good showing in US and UK.

Last edited:
Great sales figures all round though, and it's good that WiiU saw a sales increase too. Even though it's not a platform that suits my tastes I feel a gaming lanscape without Nintendo would be diminished, less vibrant.

I believe the Xbox 360 outsold the WiiU. That puts Nintendo sales in perspective.

That's if you accept the I Supply report.

It seems common sense to me XBO should be maybe ~$50 cheaper BOM. They're very similar in all respects, die size same within a few %, so it comes down to DDR3 vs GDDR5 imo, and I think there's quite a significant difference there no matter what anybody says. I've always said the XO ESRAM design is not one I favor, but it does have it's positive, and that positive is mainly the allowance of use of cheaper DDR3.
They put the die cost difference at about 10% which seems reasonable for a $100 part, a bit more area, worse aspect ratio, clocked it higher, etc...

I think the iSuppli analysis only makes sense in the context that it was made at launch, because back then DDR3-2133 was an expensive bin. At the time I was looking at parts suppliers, and 1333, 1600 and even 1833 were within a few cents, while 2133 was significantly more expensive. So I'm guessing if iSuppli update their analysis today, DDR3 price advantage would shine a little more.

Let's not forget that GDDR5 was a dangerous wildcard, it had large fluctuation and a questionable future. It's very telling that Sony was planning 4GB until the last minute. Things could have gone very wrong here.

Lol that's not fair to Sony exactly. We all work full time, I have never heard of a performance objective based on how much better your company beats the competition or how poorly your competitors do? Sure they will look at these numbers but I hope my bonus better not have anything to do with how the competitors are operating !!

We set targets and stretch targets and you hope to meet them.

Respectively to their own goals we won't really know if either company succeeded or failed.

What I heard is its a little more than $30 between the two systems with the xbox one being cheaper. Sony could drop to $350 without loosing to much per unit. But then MS could go down to $320 with a similar loss per unit.

That month is just another proof that price is of the highest important even though it is not "everything", hardware performances are not.
Now let see how this play in the longer run, MSFT is still playing "nice" imo.

Well considering two of those games on your list were supposed to be out in 2014 I'd have to say there are good odd's that other games will also be pushed. I was also under the impression that SF5 was a 2016 title but I could be wrong.

For the xbox one I guess we should add Ori , below , Tomb Raider to the list also.

Like I said I'm sure MS will announce more at E3 , I wouldn't be too worried about them.

Well everything you've said can be applied to both camps so it's a wash. The fact is early next year (when sales will struggle) MS has very little compared to Sony, and anything announced at E3 will likely be for the following year, and as I've already said I can't see the PS4 momentum slowing...I mean, why would it?

The fact is early next year (when sales will struggle) MS has very little compared to Sony, and anything announced at E3 will likely be for the following year, and as I've already said I can't see the PS4 momentum slowing...I mean, why would it?

It's possible - nay likely - that Microsoft have heavily cannibalised their January and February sales with their very generous sale.

January and February often show a lull in sales anyway but for any prospective Xbox One buyers who were planning or saving to buy a One early next year, then the November / December price cut is a phenomemally tempting reason to stretch yourself and get it earlier than planned, rather than in one or two months time when the price goes back up and the tempting bundles disappear.

If all they achieve with the sale is front-loading sales for the November thru February period and, on average, sell no more than they would have done anyway, but have also lost revenue because of the sales and bundles, then that's not great except in PR terms.

Of course WHAT IF questions are impossible to answer, but they'll be a sense of sales in January and February using whatever metrics people can scrape together.

Why would the momentum continue?
It's definitely a valid question but the history of video game consoles - well PlayStations (and Xbox) at least - show momentum in sales year on year until that undefinable point when a generation is perceived to be drawing to a close.

Certainly next year, in terms of games, looks pretty good for PlayStation 4. The as game libraries fill up and consoles become cheaper, more people get on board. Gaikai is also launched next year although what the hell the draw of that is I really don't know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back