All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon 2014 Top 100 Best Sellers
------------------------------------------------------------ PS4 Hardware and Accessories
#4 PS4 Game System (40 / 42)*
#9 PS4 Dual Shock Gaming Pad
#31 PlayStation Gold Wireless Headsets
#34 Destiny Bundle (10 / 12)*
#54 Power A PS4 DualShock Controller Charging Station
#56 PlayStation 4 Camera
------------------------------------------------------------ PS4 Software
#13 Destiny (1)*
#21 Watch Dogs (67)*
#25 Infamous: Second Son
#27 The Last of US
#32 FIFA 14
#41 Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zero
#43 Call of Duty: Ghost
#55 Battlefield 4 (26)*
#57 Killzone: Shadow Fall
#70 Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
#74 Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
#76 MLB 14: The Show
#96 Need for Speed: Rivals
------------------------------------------------------------ XB1 Hardware and Accessories
#24 XB1 Gaming Pad
#44 Titanfall Bundle
#47 Kinect System
#77 Stereo Headset Adapter
#86 Play and Charge Kit
------------------------------------------------------------ XB1 Software
#14 Destiny
#16 Titanfall
#37 Call of Duty: Ghost (6)*
#81 Battlefield 4
#88 Watch Dogs

*Competitive spots ahead.

Forza just doesn't sell that well, and its not because its a bad franchise from a critic standpoint, its always rated very well and has brought a lot of innovation to the genre. These types of games do far better in EU where xbox traditionally doesn't have a strong install base. Arcade racers do fine but with these quasi-sim car museum racers, few come close to GT numbers which hit north of ~10 million units every release with the exception of 6 being quite the outlier. Thats why Forza exists after all.

And as a bit of an off-topic opinion... I think GT5 (clearly unfinished) hurt the GT franchise (We will see how GT7 turns out) and I think the frequency of the Forza releases hurt the Forza franchise.

This, Forza is a good IP, it suffers a bit in sales due to the frequency of releases. Not that sales represents how good or bad an IP or platform is afterall...

Do we have any numbers on how well the PlayStation Gold Wireless Headsets are selling? they seem to be doing really good & seem like they might be a big money maker for Sony if it don't cost much to manufacture them.

Forza just doesn't sell that well, and its not because its a bad franchise from a critic standpoint, its always rated very well and has brought a lot of innovation to the genre. These types of games do far better in EU where xbox traditionally doesn't have a strong install base. Arcade racers do fine but with these quasi-sim car museum racers, few come close to GT numbers which hit north of ~10 million units every release with the exception of 6 being quite the outlier. Thats why Forza exists after all.

And as a bit of an off-topic opinion... I think GT5 (clearly unfinished) hurt the GT franchise (We will see how GT7 turns out) and I think the frequency of the Forza releases hurt the Forza franchise.

I don't think so, Forza is the best selling racing franchise on Xbox and FM5 is the fastest selling racing game on XB1. Also, FH is very different than FM and I like their approach with yearly release of FH/FM. Actually, they are working on their game constantly and sharing their resources, so while they are modeling new cars/tracks or making a new physics engine for the next version of their game (FM6), they can sell some of the contents as DLC for their latest game (FM5), and use most parts of their technology/resources in other series (FH2). This way they can remain always productive.

Also, they said that there could be yet another new series, which could be interesting. So, in the near future we may see FM/FH/FX cycle which could be a good thing for both Forza and players. IMO, they only need to hit the quality bar constantly and bring new experience for peoples with different tastes to expend the franchise.

However, Forza won't touch GT level of sales.

Smash Bros 3DS tops Amazon. Good to see something other than boring PSM cards occupy the top slot.

Shadows of Morder seems doing not bad for a 2nd tier title, #5 PS4 and #7 X1.

Forza Horizon 2 #25.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox...ter-fifa-15-and-price-cut-sales-spike/0139066

Sales of Microsoft’s Xbox One edged past PS4 this week as the machine enjoyed a massive sales spike on the back of FIFA 15.

An anonymous retail source has told MCV that Xbox One hardware sales jumped 155 per cent week-on-week, presumably thanks to a combination of Microsoft’s recent price cut and the arrival of EA’s game.

PS4 sales were up too, however, jumping 80 per cent with help of a rival price cut of its own – but that wasn’t enough to stop Xbox One edging ever so slightly ahead in hardware sales for the week.

A report earlier today claimed that the PS4 version of FIFA 15 outsold the Xbox One SKU, claiming a 32 per cent share of the week’s overall physical sales in the UK.

Xbox One claimed 22 per cent – behind the Xbox 360 with 30 per cent but ahead of PS3 on 15 per cent.

"Anonymous retail source" doesn't seem very official if it's not specifically Chart Track nationwide data. This could be very well be for one chain or something like that.

Interesting how past gen consoles did relatively much better. It seems a game like Fifa would be like the USA's Call of Duty or Madden or something, so mainstream that sales will slant back towards the previous gen and it's giant install base a bit.

Yes that is exactly what FIFA is, Europe's equivalent of Madden, and I think it does better than Madden.

Yes that is exactly what FIFA is, Europe's equivalent of Madden, and I think it does better than Madden.

I expect because the global audience for football is greater than for American football. I ain't using the 'S' word.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

FIFA 15 on PS4 beats Xbox One by 100,000 sales in UK charts

Sales broken down by console show that the PlayStation 4 led the pack with a commanding 32 per cent. The Xbox 360 was next on 30 per cent, the Xbox One in third on 22 per cent, and the PlayStation 3 fourth with 15 per cent.

Chart-Track doesn’t reveal actual sales figures, since companies have to pay to access that information and aren’t supposed to make it public. But an insider tells us that the PlayStation 4 version was ahead of the Xbox One by 100,000 units.

UK individual formats chart – 27 September

1 (-) FIFA 15 (PS4)
2 (-) FIFA 15 (360)
3 (-) FIFA 15 (XO)
4 (-) FIFA 15 (PS3)
5 (1) Destiny (PS4)
6 (2) Destiny (XO)
7 (3) Destiny (360)
8 (8) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (360)
9 (6) The Sims 4 (PC)
10(-)Fantasy Life (3DS)

UK all formats chart – 27 September

1 (-) FIFA 15 (Wii/360/PS3/XO/PS4/PC/3DS/PSV)
2 (1) Destiny (360/PS3/XO/PS4)
3 (2) Disney Infinity 2.0 (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4)
4 (6) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (360)
5 (7) Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC)
6 (4) Watch Dogs (360/PS3/XO/PS4/PC)
7 (5) The Sims 4 (PC)
8 (-) Fantasy Life (3DS)
9 (8) Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition (360)
10(10)Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360/PS3/XO/PS4)

GAF/GFK Chart Update

FIFA 15 Tops The League

29/Sep/2014

The prelude to the all-important Q4 season begins in earnest this week with the ‘FIFA 15’ onslaught.

EA’s latest FIFA is the 21st in the main series, dating back to 1993 with FIFA International Soccer on Sega’s Megadrive (list excludes World Cup/Street/Management spinoffs). ‘FIFA 15’ accounts for 80% of all entertainment software units this week and a whopping 87% of revenue. Unlike last year, ‘FIFA 15’ debuts on 8 formats simulataneously - there are no more PS2/PSP versions this year and the later PS4/XO releases from ‘FIFA 14’ now arrive alongside all other versions.

Consequently, GfK Chart-Track total UK market estimates are that ‘FIFA 15’ is +15% units / +23% revenue over ‘FIFA 14’ (weeks 39 compared). If you align all the week 1 sales, so adding in week47/2013 PS4/XO sales (both Gen 8 versions launched in that week) then ‘FIFA 15’ is actually around the same in units and +6% in revenue. Finally, ‘FIFA 15’ Gen 8 versions (PS4/XO) account for 54% of sales units, with Gen 7 (360/PS3) holding a still considerable 45%. There were a few other new releases this week but the only one to make the Top 40 is Nintendo’s 3DS RPG adventure ‘Fantasy Life’ at No8 which is developed by Level 5, best known for the Professor Layton series.

Code:
01 (NE) FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 961,000 / NEW

PlayStation 4 - 307,520
Xbox 360 - 288,300 (down 43% YoY)
Xbox One - 211,420
PlayStation 3 - 144,150 (down 55% YoY)

Chart-Track UK
1 FIFA 15 PS4 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
2 FIFA 15 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
3 FIFA 15 XB ONE EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 FIFA 15 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
5 DESTINY PS4 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
6 DESTINY XB ONE ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
7 DESTINY XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
8 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
9 THE SIMS 4 PC EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
10 FANTASY LIFE 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
11 DESTINY PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
12 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION 3 EDITION PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.
13 DISNEY INFINITY 2.0 XB360 DISNEY INFINITY DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
14 THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED PS4 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.
15 HYRULE WARRIORS WII U NINTENDO NINTENDO
16 WATCH DOGS PS4 UBISOFT UBISOFT
17 TOMODACHI LIFE 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
18 FIFA 15 VITA EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
19 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS PS4 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
20 GRAND THEFT AUTO V XB360 ROCKSTAR

SoItBegins.jpg

fbuNZq3.jpg

Now that is a good deal, it will surely push a lot of PS4s in UK now that October is upon us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
01 (NE) FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 961,000 / NEW

PlayStation 4 - 307,520
Xbox 360 - 288,300 (down 43% YoY)
Xbox One - 211,420
PlayStation 3 - 144,150 (down 55% YoY)
Chart-Track UK
That four placements is curious. PS4 on top, PS3 on bottom. I guess that shows those PS3 owners likely updated. PS3 is 55% down, so 320,300 last year. 176k less (upgraded to PS4?). XB360 is 43%, so 500k last year (dang, FIFA's popular on 360!). 218k less. PS3 less + XB1 less = 394k. 500k PS4+XB1 buyers, so I guess a lot of upgraders.

While still not great for next gen (32% of FIFA sales versus 22% of FIFA sales), Microsoft has to be happy with the income that is generating for them. Licensing revenue on 52% of FIFA sales versus 47% of FIFA sales. That combined with Destiny sales for Xbox combined being ahead of PS combined in the UK is at least mitigating some of the sting of losing the next gen battle.

And damn, 87% of all software games revenue for consoles was FIFA for that week. :oops:

Also, if the reports are true that hardware sales had Xbox on top for that week are true, then perhaps the discounted price has finally gotten some more of the X360 holdouts in the UK to upgrade.

Although can't be much as X360 FIFA sales came close to beating out PS4 FIFA sales, so even with the price cut most X360 owners in the UK are still hanging tough to their X360s.

Regards,
SB

Presumably that won't account for the digital copies on the XBOX bundles?
Chart track does include bundle sales, digital or not.

While still not great for next gen (32% of FIFA sales versus 22% of FIFA sales), Microsoft has to be happy with the income that is generating for them. Licensing revenue on 52% of FIFA sales versus 47% of FIFA sales. That combined with Destiny sales for Xbox combined being ahead of PS combined in the UK is at least mitigating some of the sting of losing the next gen battle.
Destiny PS vs Xbox was 50/50 on launch week in the UK IIRC, then Destiny XB1 sales dropped slightly more compared to PS4 on week 2. So I'm not sure Xbox outsold PS for Destiny.

As for Fifa, it has always sold considerably more on X360 vs PS3 in the UK. Despite MS's deal with EA, PS4 managed to sell 100k more than XB1. The price drop paired with Fifa obviously helped HW sales though, so that's something.

Licensing revenue on 52% of FIFA sales versus 47% of FIFA sales. That combined with Destiny sales for Xbox combined being ahead of PS combined in the UK is at least mitigating some of the sting of losing the next gen battle.

How did you come to that conclusion that FIFA/Destiny software is earning more revenue in the XBOX family? How did you factor in all the FIFA/Destiny freebie and bundle editions to reach that conclusion?

Chart track does include bundle sales, digital or not.

Destiny PS vs Xbox was 50/50 on launch week in the UK IIRC, then Destiny XB1 sales dropped slightly more compared to PS4 on week 2. So I'm not sure Xbox outsold PS for Destiny.

As for Fifa, it has always sold considerably more on X360 vs PS3 in the UK. The price drop paired with Fifa obviously helped HW sales though, so that's something.

Yeah, was just pointing out that even though Xbox One is losing the next gen battle in hardware sales, it's not all doom and gloom for MS as they are still taking a good chunk of overall game licensing revenue. That combined with accessory sales is where the meat of the profits are made.

Once more of the X360 holdouts decide to upgrade, it'll be interesting to see how things turn out. PS4 will most likely still stay comfortably ahead, but the ratio of PS4:XBO might narrow slightly.

Regards,
SB

My point is, I'm not so sure MS is happy. Software sales on X360 have always been considerably higher than PS3 in the UK (especially shooters), and Xbox as a whole is being helped out greatly by X360 sales. If you single out XB1 vs PS4, Fifa sold 100k more copies (or ~45% more) on PS4 despite MS having a partnership deal with EA. Even Destiny, a shooter, sold 30%+ more on PS4 than XB1 (but to be fair, Sony had a partnership deal with Activision).

And I think that just as many X360 owners are migrating to current gen as PS3 owners, so that point doesn't really have any significance IMO.

My point is, I'm not so sure MS is happy. Software sales on X360 has always been considerably higher than PS3 in the UK (especially shooters), and Xbox as a whole is being helped out greatly by X360 sales. If you single out XB1 vs PS4, Fifa sold 100k more copies on PS4 despite MS having a partnership deal with EA.

And I think that just as many X360 owners are migrating to current gen as PS3 owners.

Happy overall? Probably not as there's a finite lifespan for continuing X360 game sales.

Happy with revenue generated from software sales. Of course, and that was what I stated.

It's mitigating somewhat the fact that they are losing in terms of next gen hardware. Meaning their revenue for the Xbox division (at least the last report of it) was still increasing YoY versus the Playstation division (again last I saw) which had decreased YoY. Again, that's just a short term thing as X360 sales won't last forever, and eventually PS4 sales (software licensing revenue) will greatly outpace what PS3 brought to the table last year.

What that means is that while the situation certainly isn't great for XBO, Microsoft's Xbox division is still doing well. And that gives them time to try to either adjust expectations of where XBO will compete, or figure out a way for it to claw back some of the lost marketshare. Without having to do it while the division spirals downwards.

And the numbers, at least in the UK indicate that more PS3 users are likely upgrading as a percentage of install base. X360 sales were only down 43% YoY while PS3 sales were down 55% YoY.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back