All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
riiiiiight.... :LOL:

it's called post-holiday sales, ie normal and will be true for all consoles.

the spin from this news....

If you say so, the Ps4 still sells out instantly from all retailers, there is pent up demand.

On Amazon, the PS4 is #2 for top sellers in 2014 when it has been out of stock most of the time. The XB1 is #12 and has been in stock all of 2014. So what spin?

Just for completeness the PS4 controller is #10 and the XB1 controller is #33. I would say MS has hit the wall, the core Xbox fans are depleted. Sony is still selling to the fence jumpers and new gamers. Word of mouth and the friend effect is driving sales.

Like I said before the BB insider who posts regional info said they had 6,000+ XB1s in stock in his region with 10 sold during one week. The PS4 is zero for the region. Not zero because they don't stock them either, they sold them all. Sony in in the phase of selling as many as they ship, that is not true for MS.

If Sony can ship as many in Jan as they did in Dec, they could easy sell 2x-3x PS4s as MS sells XB1, unless demand suddenly hits a wall which is beyond the horizon at this point.

More data to measure demand, via ebay.

XB1 new: $459
PS4 new: $460

XB1 used: $430
PS4 used: $464

Edit: Amazon

XB1 new: $500 (MSRP, in-stock)
PS4 new: $495 (3rd party)

XB1 used: $439
PS4 used: $496

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbox One sold more than PS4 in December NPD.

that is the only current "fact" about sales to date in NA.

everything else is wishful thinking, projection and spin.

Did you expect them to be dreamcasted? if not then who expected them to be dreamcasted? .

of course not, that would have been foolish... but a lot of people said such foolish things.

read the internet from May '13 until November and you will find lots of evidence of just that.

Moar random numbers

From Aquamarine (reliable)

2013 Total Software Revenue Marketshare (five random companies):

Take 2 - 18.1% (up 89.2%)
Activision Blizzard - 17.3% (down 23.2%)
EA - 16.2% (down 1.8%)
Nintendo 1st-party - 10.6% (down 4.7%)
Sony 1st-Party - 5.1% (up 43.2%)

As was said before no one knows where that demand ends. It's possible that at XB1 levels of supply they may still not reached those numbers. A lot of people won't queue up to buy a product or buy from amazon or whatever else. We won't get a fix on where sales are headed until supply is fairly ready for both products in all regions (I've yet to see either in a retailer in my area, so locally demand is greater than supply for both).

I'm not sure where you live, but I don't know of any region in NA where XB1s are hard to find. in Silicon Valley you can find one in every BB and Target, I just checked two zip codes with the in-store pickup function and not one was out of stock for a 25 mile radius. Neither has PS4s (in fact they won't even let you search, it is disabled).

As was said before no one knows where that demand ends. It's possible that at XB1 levels of supply they may still not reached those numbers. A lot of people won't queue up to buy a product or buy from amazon or whatever else. We won't get a fix on where sales are headed until supply is fairly ready for both products in all regions (I've yet to see either in a retailer in my area, so locally demand is greater than supply for both).

Yep, it's guessing and nothing else, but it seems like good guessing based on what we think we know :) and if we are guessing wrong it wont hurt anyone.

Xbox One sold more than PS4 in December NPD.

that is the only current "fact" about sales to date in NA.

Nope, we also have November NPD. Which means there are two facts that we can state:

XBox One sold more than PS4 in December.
PS4 has sold more than the XBox One in the US

In other words, depending on which side of the isle you want to play on either of these are true:

* The PS4 is the best selling next gen console in the US to date.
* The XBox One has sold at the fastest rate of the next gen consoles in the US to date.

Both are facts about to date sales, and neither should be ignored. I would also state that much of the rest of the debate has been about context - not spin or wishful thinking.

I'm in Canada, none of the major retailers have stock of the xb1 locally or on their .ca portals. Best Buy, futureshop, walmart or target. Not sure about walmarts online they might have a bundle.

Ok, I thought we were talking US. I guess MS screwed Canada, tons sitting around down here ;)

Ok, I thought we were talking US. I guess MS screwed Canada, tons sitting around down here ;)

It's not quite the same situation as in the US, but it's still not hard to find one here either. Xbox Ones have only recently sold out at futureshop/bestbuy; target doesn't have online shopping, and walmart still has bundles available. Ebgames still has stock and amazon.ca has them available for the end of January. They've been available for the majority of January and the latter part of December across all online retailers in Canada. I have seen several people on redflagdeals.com reporting that they've seen plenty of Xbox Ones and rarely do they see PS4s. When PS4s are in stock, they sell out within hours in store and within minutes online (thanks to stock trackers). I've only seen a handful of people say that they haven't seen either console in store.

Xbox Ones may be supply limited in a few parts of North America, but if anyone wants one, it's not hard to find one at all. Either you'll be able to find one on an online site, craigslist/kijiji/usedcanada, or there will be one within driving distance. The Xbox One isn't even close to being as supply constrained as the PS4, not for the past 3-4 weeks.

Now I'm interested in January though. I overall expect PS4 to win handily, but I guess since X1 won Dec the thought they could win Jan too based on supply has creeped in.

Something like, X1 350K>massive supply. PS4>250K, extremely tight supply.

Dont get me wrong, I still 95% lean PS4 will win Jan and Feb, quite possibly even by 2:1 type ratios, (then in March we see about Titanfall)

The 360 went from 1.1m in Dec to ~240k in Jan in its first unconstrained holiday season (2006-2007), I don't think the XB1 has the demand to drive more than the 360 especially in light of not selling its stock in Dec. I'm guessing the XB1 will see 150-200k. I also doubt the PS4 is going to go from 850k supplied in Dec to 250k, did a factory burn down?

You keep bringing up this bogus metric that has no relevance to total sales.

I said demand, not sales.

usually demand would indicate you can sell consoles..

The real question is if the demand is just as high with the xb1 but they have supply and therefore can sell more even though we might think that those boxes we see on shelves indicates lesser demand.

The Amazon's topseller lists indicates this to not be the case.

Its confirmation of Amazon's anti XB1 bias.... j/k

In all seriousness we only have 2 months worth of data, lets see what happens over next quarter and even then the PS3 shows that you can have a horrible start and still come back. But the current sales in aggregate are a positive sign for the overall health of the gaming industry.

We still don't have any really important titles out for either platform other than BF4 and COD and those are arguably in decline, when Titanfall, thief and Infamous hit in a couple months we'll begin to have some indication of demand as well as enough of a trend to point to relative strengths of each platform.

I'm in Canada, none of the major retailers have stock of the xb1 locally or on their .ca portals. Best Buy, futureshop, walmart or target. Not sure about walmarts online they might have a bundle.

ZQR8i8d.png

Apparently they didn't bother to stock Canada since December 2013.:rolleyes:

No wonder you can't find any.

Do we really have to continue to lecture Rudecurve on stuff you can learn in first year university?

If people are going to start attributing every opinion to platform bias, this thread may as well just be closed.

Does anyone remember this graph?

h3CewVz.png

This is why demand is half of the equation, when stock is not the bottleneck, sales are not necessarily equal. At some point MS and Sony are going to ship enough to meet demand, the question is why is the slope of the equivalent graph? At this point (probably sometime in mid-Dec) MS shipped enough to meet their demand (everywhere but Canada?). We don't yet know when Sony will hit their wall. When they do, 3rd party prices will finally equal MSRP -simple economics.

I think this graph is difficult to interpret and extrapolate without knowing supply frequency.

Not related to December NPD, but this list is far more telling:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/

One is in stock as always. Yet, PS4 is still higher on the list.

This is what I'm trying to point out is necessary. We can dream up scenarios where MS could have sold a lot more in December if more supply was available. Same for Sony. But why speculate and presume? I actually think you are probably right that MS couldn't have sold much more, but I'm guessing too. Nothing in the NPD data, or the anecdotes posted here and elsewhere about availability in late December, or online sales rates during the same, or eBay prices, or anything else can prove that.

Why bother with reading into data what isn't there when more data is coming?

Uhh, there is more data coming when Microsoft tells their shipment numbers this thursday. There shouldnt be a reason to hide this.

Then you compare it to 3 million sold to consumers.

I think this graph is difficult to interpret and extrapolate without knowing supply frequency.

Not related to December NPD, but this list is far more telling:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/

But UK is far more troubling on multiple levels http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye

They were both in stock for 8+ hours (huge shipment of PS4s), the graph is the end when they went OOS. This is why the graph is meaningful, when both are adequately stocked, sales reflect demand.

So, hypothetically, if both MS and Sony were able to get 2 million units each into the chain during December then MS would still have sold ~900k whereas it looks as though Sony would have sold the entire 2 million!?

That is some pent up demand!

They were both in stock for 8+ hours (huge shipment of PS4s), the graph is the end when they went OOS. This is why the graph is meaningful, when both are adequately stocked, sales reflect demand.

For that window. Demand is elastic. There could be more or less people who want one today than wanted one yesterday (and certainly demand (the number of people willing to pay for a product now) has changed from pre holiday. Just because their need or desire wasn't met it doesn't mean it still exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back