All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I didn't explain myself better before. I meant that the Iberian Peninsula is where PlayStation has the largest market share of the world, with Portugal -not Japan- being the first and Spain the second.

http://pt.videogamer.com/news/playstation_portugal_e_o_nosso_melhor_mercado.html

Where president Obama mentions the Xbox sometimes in his speeches, in Spain people talk about the "la play" all over the place. "Do you have la play?" "I am going to buy la play."

Sometimes things get too far though when in some places you are likely to be banned if you aren't a supporter. Even when the PS3 was pretty expensive it was just selling better than the Xbox 360, despite huge strides made by Microsoft with the Xbox 360.

As for Portugal it is perhaps most understandable. I gotta admit that I never liked how Sony *worried* about Europeans in the past, launching the consoles later here, but they care about Portugal at least in the way they translate their games and stuff like that.

People in Portugal are usually good at English anyways -they are used to watch many TV shows and stuff in the original version with subtitles-, but I think every language has its charm (I know that well 'cos just as like there are especial expressions and words in English you can't really translate into other languages without losing some of its meaning in the process, I speak a minority language and there are many special terms and sayings, etc etc).

Yeah, it's good that they make Portuguese dubs for games, but I've hated every one I heard so far.

The thing is.. we don't have a strong translation/dub market, so we don't have many or very good voice actors. Everything is made ridiculously low-budget.

Usually, what happens in a game is that we hear the same 2 persons doing the voices for all 20+ characters, trying to diversify with funny (stupid) voices and exaggerated (stupid) accents.
The end result is embarassing, to say the least.

PSN forced me to install the portuguese version of Killzone Mercenaries for the Vita. I haven't been able to touch the game because of that.

First of all, congratulations to Sony. They might be on the way to win this generation.

Second of all, I just hope that the Xbox One ends up selling well.

As a Console in the traditional sense the PS4 is clearly ahead of the of the other 2. Better price/value, better specs, truly centered on games in more than one way (Playstation Now) and a good size that fits nicely into the Console world and so far it has the sales to back it up.

As a vision i agree that the XB1 is the bolder move and they are taking a greater risk than Sony, but there is absolutely nothing in that vision that has been presented that convinces me it will add up to a "better" console, i would go so far and say on the contrary since they compromised spec and price to get to that vision. But as a "vision" i think that Microsoft have done very well to sell 3 million before 2014, maybe it's just the core (big core!) but it's not a flop.

*Likely to be off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
One odd/interesting thing I have noticed on BF4stats, often, not usually but often, the ratio of Xbox One to PS4 exceeds that of 360 to PS3, despite PS4 outselling One, while 360 and PS3 are tied (360 ahead in the west that plays bf4)

An example is right this second, there's 27k players on PS3, 12k on 360. 14k on PS4, 10k on One. There's 46% as many 360 players as PS3, but 68% as many One players as PS4.

I think this is PS4's pay online holding player counts down, where PS3 free online is a big advantage over 360.

As a Console in the traditional sense the PS4 is clearly ahead of the of the other 2. Better price/value, better specs, truly centered on games in more than one way (Playstation Now) and a good size that fits nicely into the Console world and so far it has the sales to back it up.

As a vision i agree that the XB1 is the bolder move and they are taking a greater risk than Sony, but there is absolutely nothing in that vision that has been presented that convinces me it will add up to a "better" console, i would go so far and say on the contrary since they compromised spec and price to get to that vision. But as a "vision" i think that Microsoft have done very well to sell 3 million before 2014, maybe it's just the core (big core!) but it's not a flop.

*Likely to be off topic.

Now I find myself wondering how the sales would look if XBO was 399 too. Would it still be sold out like PS4? Which would have greater demand (I suspect PS4 by a hair at this early stage)?

I kind of think this would be the true measure of the consoles, because what is conventional wisdom, as I heard for example on the ifixit XBO teardown? That Kinect is why the XBO is $100 more.

But that assumes PS4 and XBO standalones are equivalent, but XBO seems less powerful, so they aren't really equivalent.

So basically I think the real equivalency tradeoff begins if/when the two machines are the same price. At that point you're trading less power for Kinect with XBO. Currently you're trading less power AND a $100 for Kinect, which is a tough pill to swallow. So we'll see how that goes.

I mean I see the "pure" XBOX tradeoff as "here is somewhat less power, but hopefully you wont notice too much, but also Kinect". Not, "here is less power, and also more expense, but also Kinect".

I think the extra $100 was basically to line MS pockets, they adopted a hard line of "break even or better on hardware right from the start" whereas Sony cut extras to the bone (the cheap "headset" for example) and also decided to lose a few bucks.

I also kinda think if MS had it to do over they'd shoot for 399. I think once you announce a price, you cant really cut it too soon unless it's really desperate, because you will look desperate, and also tick off early adopters.

It seems bizzaro world, MS is the one with the fat pockets, yet playing less aggressively.

Now I find myself wondering how the sales would look if XBO was 399 too. Would it still be sold out like PS4? Which would have greater demand (I suspect PS4 by a hair at this early stage)?

I kind of think this would be the true measure of the consoles, because what is conventional wisdom, as I heard for example on the ifixit XBO teardown? That Kinect is why the XBO is $100 more.

But that assumes PS4 and XBO standalones are equivalent, but XBO seems less powerful, so they aren't really equivalent.

So basically I think the real equivalency tradeoff begins if/when the two machines are the same price. At that point you're trading less power for Kinect with XBO. Currently you're trading less power AND a $100 for Kinect, which is a tough pill to swallow. So we'll see how that goes.

I mean I see the "pure" XBOX tradeoff as "here is somewhat less power, but hopefully you wont notice too much, but also Kinect". Not, "here is less power, and also more expense, but also Kinect".

I think the extra $100 was basically to line MS pockets, they adopted a hard line of "break even or better on hardware right from the start" whereas Sony cut extras to the bone (the cheap "headset" for example) and also decided to lose a few bucks.

I also kinda think if MS had it to do over they'd shoot for 399. I think once you announce a price, you cant really cut it too soon unless it's really desperate, because you will look desperate, and also tick off early adopters.

It seems bizzaro world, MS is the one with the fat pockets, yet playing less aggressively.

I think it would be about the same, first of all Microsoft was limited by supply (guessing) and the extra $100 didn't matter to the first buyers imho. And secondly the general (very little to back it up) impression is that the PS4 is "hot" the XB1 "not so much" and it's been like that since the reveal with Microsoft making up ground since though i think the momentum has slowed down.

I am certain that Microsoft is going to play hardball by next Xmas if things looks to slow down to much, on the other hand, i see no reason why Sony shouldn't be ready to counter by next XMAS.

All in all i think Microsoft is doing a great job, they aren't reacting in panic, they seem focused and confident.. they just need to launch in my country please :)

Shorbread, as usual I agree with IGN, love 'em. A price drop is necessary for the console to become mainstream, and while I am quite positively surprised with the initial sales -after the bad PR and negative journalism- at 500$ it's normal that they will lose momentum rather sooner than later.

I agree. I believe MS needs to rethink their pricing.

As of now, I can't find no value in purchasing the XB1. As a current PS4/PS3/XB360 owner, I find myself wanting to support XB1, but I can't, for a few reasons. But I will not get into that... but hopefully, MS will address this sooner, rather than later.

I think it would be about the same, first of all Microsoft was limited by supply (guessing) and the extra $100 didn't matter to the first buyers imho. And secondly the general (very little to back it up) impression is that the PS4 is "hot" the XB1 "not so much" and it's been like that since the reveal with Microsoft making up ground since though i think the momentum has slowed down.

I am certain that Microsoft is going to play hardball by next Xmas if things looks to slow down to much, on the other hand, i see no reason why Sony shouldn't be ready to counter by next XMAS.

All in all i think Microsoft is doing a great job, they aren't reacting in panic, they seem focused and confident.. they just need to launch in my country please :)

I disagree I think pricing is the biggest factor here. Been saying that since E3, the media took away "oh noes the DRM" and it drowned out everything else, but I thought from day 1 the real issue was that price.

My guess is MS drops to at least 449 if not 399 by next Christmas as you say.

A lot depends on how important the horse race is to both these companies. Are you content with a console that does decent business, is supported, and makes a nice profit, or do you want to BEAT THE OTHER GUY. Of course the answer is some of both, but in what proportion? Microsoft could leave XBO as is, it seems to be doing OK, but it will lose to PS4. Pachter said recently the horse race is important to these companies, but it seems a whole lot more important to Sony to me (reading at E3 about how everything they did was a reaction to MS, how it was rumored they scrambled like crazy to hit 399 hours after MS announced 499, etc).

I dont see PS4 price coming down until 2015 really. For one thing half-drops are rare, so the next logical step for PS4 is 299, which is way too low this early, PS3 is still $249, and there is still 8GB GDDR5 onboard...

I disagree I think pricing is the biggest factor here. Been saying that since E3, the media took away "oh noes the DRM" and it drowned out everything else, but I thought from day 1 the real issue was that price.

A lot depends on how important the horse race is to both these companies. Are you content with a console that does decent business, is supported, and makes a nice profit, or do you want to BEAT THE OTHER GUY. Of course the answer is some of both, but in what proportion? Microsoft could leave XBO as is, it seems to be doing OK, but it will lose to PS4. Pachter said recently the horse race is important to these companies, but it seems a whole lot more important to Sony to me.

I dont see PS4 price coming down until 2015 really. For one thing half-drops are rare, so the next logical step for PS4 is 299, which is way too low this early, PS3 is still $249, and there is still 8GB GDDR5 onboard...

A lot depends on how important the horse race is to both these companies. Are you content with a console that does decent business, is supported, and makes a nice profit, or do you want to BEAT THE OTHER GUY. Of course the answer is some of both, but in what proportion? Microsoft could leave XBO as is, it seems to be doing OK, but it will lose to PS4. Pachter said recently the horse race is important to these companies, but it seems a whole lot more important to Sony to me (reading at E3 about how everything they did was a reaction to MS, how it was rumored they scrambled like crazy to hit 399 hours after MS announced 499, etc).

Around here the price difference isn't significant in anyway, it's pretty much on par and the price difference i have seen would not be a real problem.

I think SONY has more to lose than MS. Anyway I think it's logical for MS to price drop next holiday season maybe by $50.They will have great bundles too like Halo.

Is it too much to assume that MS has sold so much by smartly prioritiizing their stock toward the markets where they actually sell? The US was going to eat that thing up. And apparently the EU is Sony zone as well as most of Asia, so for them its a matter of resources. Sony has to deal with way more countries which will probably hurt them significantly with NPD numbers

MS didn't delay the launch in those territories because they thought their initial launch countries were sufficient, but because they couldn't make launch. Localization isn't done. Voice libraries aren't ready. They chose not to release something that would be even less functional than what the rest of the EU got, compared to the US.

Sorry in Switzerland, no problem of language... They launch in the biggest territory or where the Xbox brand is strong...

It will be interesting to see the Xbox One sales in January, February and March... Sony will sell every PS4 in stock until march or April in some country. In France preordering a PS4 now and the availability is March or April depending of the retailer...

My brother want a PS4 and just preorder...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it too much to assume that MS has sold so much by smartly prioritiizing their stock toward the markets where they actually sell? The US was going to eat that thing up. And apparently the EU is Sony zone as well as most of Asia, so for them its a matter of resources. Sony has to deal with way more countries which will probably hurt them significantly with NPD numbers

Yes and no. If there is unsold stock in even it's highest-demand territories and no stock in territories that would buy even 10's of thousands than sales are lower than they *could* be. But this is better than under-supplying their high demand territories and having excess stock in low-demand territories (like XBOX 360's original allocation to Japan, for example).

Again I don't see how MS can cut cost and Sony can't until we have smaller silicon but I could see MS being more aggressive with services and go after something like IP TV which if they managed to pull it off would push things solidly in their favor.

Sony announced Playstation Now and a new Live TV service but didn't provide details for either service and personally I think the TV integration will be key for who ever gets there first. And to be clear, I'm referring to a true IP TV service not HDMI pass through or Netflix type of integration but live broadcast TV.

Again I don't see how MS can cut cost and Sony can't until we have smaller silicon but I could see MS being more aggressive with services and go after something like IP TV which if they managed to pull it off would push things solidly in their favor.

You don't see how MS could reduce the cost of kinect to less than $100?

I think he's saying Sony can cut the price too.

Which is true, but I think MS has more room to maneuver because allegedly they are selling at cost/break even whereas Sony is supposedly selling below cost.

I think it's easier for MS to shave off $100 of the price (20%) than for Sony to shave off $100 (25%). If MS cuts the price to $399 and Sony cuts it, but can't reach $299, it's still a very positive for MS. Being in the same "hundred" dollar/euro tier will be very beneficial to MS.

But yet, there is now a 1.2 million gap, compared to the 200-300k gap weeks ago. Yeah, a lot of consumers aren't really pleased with XB1 pricing.

Even I - who don't think at all that the xbone was "foward, innovative and bold" in its market approach but a direct attack to consumers' interests and rights along with a completely disparate notion of what their target audience wants (i.e. - not TV and sports), and that Microsoft should hurt bad for even trying to pull that bullshit on gamers - don't think even for a bit that the difference in sales has something to do with policies or pricing.

Everything that has sold so far was limited by supply. Nothing else.

I think SONY has more to lose than MS. Anyway I think it's logical for MS to price drop next holiday season maybe by $50.They will have great bundles too like Halo.
I agree. Sony can't afford to take risks and hope the market works in their favour and I have little doubt they are willing to bite some loss on the console if they are confident of recouping that quickly on subsequent game sales.

But while demand is outstripping supply, that's not something they need to consider.

Huh?

Xbox One has not been for weeks...

It's not sitting on shelves in every store. I've yet to see one available in retail in my area. Just because you can find one doesn't mean supply limits aren't affecting their sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back