All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly puts Dec NPD back into play for PS4...

It actually will be pretty interesting after we get Dec NPD to see how many each sold outside the USA.

It's a very impressive number and even moreso since it's still supply constrained.

IGN actually had a decent writeup for a mainstream site http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/what-sonys-42-million-ps4s-sold-figure-actually-means

Although IGN makes the point these sales blow by PS3/360 launch, they fail to note those were extremely supply constrained. Then again, at some point sales are sales I suppose regardless of other factors.

Wii U was at 3.91m shipped by the end of Oct. So they're still ahead of PS4 after holiday sales, but probably not by that much. Looking at the 4th quarter then, they've got 273k in Oct/Nov NPD with Dec outstanding (400k at a guess?), I'd have to check Japan sales, and Europe will probably be ~USA or significantly less considering Wii U has done the worst there.

So I dont know 1.5-2.0m Wii U's in the 4th quarter seems plausible. So, 5.5-6.0m Wii U's as of Jan? PS4 did come close to wiping out Wii U's lead already.

And the "next gen duo" of PS4/XBO install base at over 7 million, already did.

IGN also points out that with PS3/360 at ~80 million, these PS4/XBO numbers are equivalent to the opening minutes of a ballgame, for all those who would rush to declare a winner already.

It's interesting how much MS/Sony were able to get the manufacturing in order this time around. I guess the combo of an SOC and comparatively non-performance aggressive hardware did wonders. A very notable side effect of shooting for mid range.

Note 2: PS4 demand is still very high, actually increased after the Holiday season, per GameStop. XB1 demand is strong, but sales have dropped by 32% between GS/BB as of today, the first initial drop (9%) occurring during Christmas week, another 21% by the following week.

Note 3: Some vendors/distributors have an abundant of XB1 units in waiting. One vendor has confirmed a few orders were larger than expected – compared to what was initially ordered (could be an error on either end). I'll let you know within a week or so how this plays out...

The truth of the matter is this; this is what's happening.

I believe MS has about the same production yields as Sony. It's the initial XB1 demand that has fallen sharply, causing the 1.2 million units sales gap between them and Sony. That's why MS stated; sold out at "most" retailers. It doesn't take a genius to understand why some vendors/distributor channels have so much XB1 stock.

Edit: Also, the one channel that I know of (verified as well), has over 123K XB1 in waiting. Hence my earlier thread comments... and this particular channel is somewhat small (warehousing wise), when compared to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
The truth of the matter is this; this is what's happening.

I believe MS has about the same production yields as Sony. It's the initial XB1 demand that has fallen sharply, causing the 1.2 million units sales gap between them and Sony. That's why MS stated; sold out at "most" retailers. It doesn't take a genius to understand why some vendors/distributor channels have so much XB1 stock.

Edit: Also, the one channel that I know of (verified as well), has over 123K XB1 in waiting. Hence my earlier thread comments... and this particular channel is somewhat small (warehousing wise), when compared to others.

If this is true, though, than the number of territories launched in has actually become relevant to those overall sales numbers. If there really are significant numbers of XBOnes sitting unsold anywhere, those are consoles that could have sold to consumers somewhere else where there was no availability.

It's all speculation without knowing supply constraints.
I very much doubt MS have 1.2 Million XBOnes sitting in warehouses or on store shelves, they probably just produced less.

If this is true, though, than the number of territories launched in has actually become relevant to those overall sales numbers. If there really are significant numbers of XBOnes sitting unsold anywhere, those are consoles that could have sold to consumers somewhere else where there was no availability.

As of now, I can walk into any major retailer in Michigan and Chicago (was there last week), and purchase an XB1. Hell, even the major e-retailers have them in stock.

MS, should have went after other territories... Them putting most of their eggs into the US/EU territories, and thinking those territories (consumers) will buy up every XB1 was a mistake, IMHO.

It's all speculation without knowing supply constraints.
I very much doubt MS have 1.2 Million XBOnes sitting in warehouses or on store shelves, they probably just produced less.

I'm not saying that all...

What I'm saying is; MS XB1 sales (demand) has declined sharply, effecting overall sales. There could be less than 300k units idling by in the USA alone, I can't speak for the other 13 or 15 territories.

+1 also considering it's "less powerful" too, launched later than PS4 and had bad PR.:cool:

But yet, there is now a 1.2 million gap, compared to the 200-300k gap weeks ago. Yeah, a lot of consumers aren't really pleased with XB1 pricing.

The PS4 only launched earlier in North America, it launched later in Europe/Australasia. They were both available for pretty much the same amount of time. The gap is only beginning to widen as supply has surpassed demand for XB1, but hasn't for PS4.

As of now, I can walk into any major retailer in Michigan and Chicago (was there last week), and purchase an XB1. Hell, even the major e-retailers have them in stock.

MS, should have went after other territories... Them putting most of their eggs into the US/EU territories, and thinking those territories (consumers) will buy up every XB1 was a mistake, IMHO.

MS didn't delay the launch in those territories because they thought their initial launch countries were sufficient, but because they couldn't make launch. Localization isn't done. Voice libraries aren't ready. They chose not to release something that would be even less functional than what the rest of the EU got, compared to the US.

But yet, there is now a 1.2 million gap, compared to the 200-300k gap weeks ago. Yeah, a lot of consumers aren't really pleased with XB1 pricing.

The PS4 is available in many more countries right now, making a direct comparison harder till we get more solid numbers on a region by region basis. It doesn't say much if most of the gap comes from territories the XB1 isn't available in.

The PS4 is available in many more countries right now, making a direct comparison harder till we get more solid numbers on a region by region basis. It doesn't say much if most of the gap comes from territories the XB1 isn't available in.

It doesn't...the extra territories are small in terms of console market and wont account for much sales.

With limited supply, there's no doubt that both companies are giving the bigger markets higher priority. And traditionally, Xbox has only done well in the US and UK, so I don't think it would really matter much either way. Plus we know the PS4 is supply constrained everywhere. And the launch in Japan will only help widen the gap for the PS4.

MS didn't delay the launch in those territories because they thought their initial launch countries were sufficient, but because they couldn't make launch. Localization isn't done. Voice libraries aren't ready. They chose not to release something that would be even less functional than what the rest of the EU got, compared to the US.

That is not what MS said.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...nating-console-market-with-4-2-million-sales/

The console war is still hard to gauge right now — both machines have been available in different numbers of markets for different amounts of time. Still, launch and holidays still account for a huge number of sales, and I have yet to see more than one or two PS4s in the wild on store shelves. It looks like Sony is pulling ahead, and the PS4 hasn’t even launched in its home market of Japan.

There are many reasons why Sony has seen such a positive response in the past couple weeks, but going forward, its main advantage remains the fact that it costs $100 less than the Xbox One. The former hasn’t made the argument for that extra price yet, so the PS4 becomes the most logical choice. I’d expect these numbers to keep climbing at a brisk pace until supply finally catches demand.

Yup, pretty much what's going on in retail.... and pretty much how I feel about XB1 current price.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/97-million-playstation-4-games-sold-so-far

During that same time period, 9.7 million PlayStation 4 games were sold both at retail and digitally via the PlayStation Network. Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, and Killzone: Shadow Fall are among the best-selling games on the console.

Sony also revealed that PlayStation Plus subscriptions have increased more than 90 percent since PS4 launched.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/what-sonys-42-million-ps4s-sold-figure-actually-means

4.2 million PlayStation 4s have been sold worldwide since the console launch on November 15 to December 28 - around six weeks. The console hasn’t launched in Japan yet, either. But since Sony is still selling PS4s as fast as it can make them, the sales figure would essentially be 4.2 million even if the console was available globally. PS4s are still out of stock at most retailers - until supply catches up with demand, it’s hard to gauge how high global demand for the console truly is.

3 million Xbox Ones have been sold from its launch on November 22 through December 31, a period of about 5.5 weeks. Like the PS4, The Xbox One isn’t yet available in Japan, and in 2013 Microsoft also sold virtually every console as fast as it could make them. But unlike the PS4, Xbox Ones are now in stock on Amazon, GameStop, and various other retailers - it appears that supply has caught up with launch demand, and in the coming months we should get a clear look at true Xbox One demand.

First of all, congratulations to Sony. They might be on the way to win this generation.

Second of all, I just hope that the Xbox One ends up selling well.

Where do you get that info? I doubt there are more PS owners in Spain than USA or UK.
Sorry I didn't explain myself better before. I meant that the Iberian Peninsula is where PlayStation has the largest market share of the world, with Portugal -not Japan- being the first and Spain the second.

http://pt.videogamer.com/news/playstation_portugal_e_o_nosso_melhor_mercado.html

Where president Obama mentions the Xbox sometimes in his speeches, in Spain people talk about the "la play" all over the place. "Do you have la play?" "I am going to buy la play."

Sometimes things get too far though when in some places you are likely to be banned if you aren't a supporter. Even when the PS3 was pretty expensive it was just selling better than the Xbox 360, despite huge strides made by Microsoft with the Xbox 360.

As for Portugal it is perhaps most understandable. I gotta admit that I never liked how Sony *worried* about Europeans in the past, launching the consoles later here, but they care about Portugal at least in the way they translate their games and stuff like that.

People in Portugal are usually good at English anyways -they are used to watch many TV shows and stuff in the original version with subtitles-, but I think every language has its charm (I know that well 'cos just as like there are especial expressions and words in English you can't really translate into other languages without losing some of its meaning in the process, I speak a minority language and there are many special terms and sayings, etc etc).

Shorbread, as usual I agree with IGN, love 'em. A price drop is necessary for the console to become mainstream, and while I am quite positively surprised with the initial sales -after the bad PR and negative journalism- at 500$ it's normal that they will lose momentum rather sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back