Amazon Video Games Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
People just over reacting to the drm. Can't even find a xbone to preorder....

They're available on Amazon at the moment, but that might just be in the UK.

I don't think it is just the DRM that people are reacting to, I think it is more the entire package that MS have projected this time. It's the whole 'deal with it' attitude and execs like Mattrick basically jamming their feet in their mouths during every interview.

They just aren't doing themselves any favours this time from a PR stance.

Most of these comments people care getting "outraged" about are nothing at all imo.

Like Mattrick saying buy a 360 if you want offline. Perfectly legitimate answer.

At the end of the day, no one can force you to buy a product. So why are people so obsessed with it? The Xbone hate really goes overboard.

If you hate the Xbone a lot, the logical response would be to file it away as do not buy and move on with life.

What if you want next-gen gaming offline? His response was basically 'buy the opposition'. to which, let's be honest, there is no other answer and no right answer! MS made their choices. But handling that PR is difficult when you are turning your back on your current fanbase to chase a new fanbase. There's always going to be backlash when you go against people's loyalties (even if they shouldn't be loyal to CE brands).

What if you want next-gen gaming offline?

Buy a PS4? A Wii U? An iPad? A PC?

Besides, does anybody really want that? Take my PC choice above. Who is going to game on a PC and not be online?

It's my understanding even Steam's offline mode makes you jump through hoops to even use it. There's also at least a mandatory one time check-in per game I believe, so it's not totally offline either. So many vagaries.

But yes, he's really saying for offline next gen console gaming, buy the competition. I'm fine with that.

What if you want next-gen gaming offline?

Honestly I think by enlarge you'll be SOL.
I don't know how many games are not going to have multiplayer integrated into the single player experience, with the expectation that the game is played predominantly online.

For example I've been told that EA has an internal policy that requires any new title to have s significant online component in order to get green lit. It was one of the reasons for the SimCity online design. Look at the games Ubisoft was showing, and I can't imagine Blizzard/Activision are any different.

Just look at how much of what's been discussed about the consoles from both parties is centered around online social interaction

I thought his answer was weak, but it's probably pretty accurate.

Right. but that means people who like MS's games and play offline and have been with MS for 10 years have been told, "go away, we don't want you any more." That's why they're grumbling, because they feel 'betrayed'. And I think their sentiments can be contagious to other gamers who appreciate the 'betrayal'.

Honestly I think by enlarge you'll be SOL.
I don't know how many games are not going to have multiplayer integrated into the single player experience, with the expectation that the game is played predominantly online.
Most of the games I have played the past few years have online components which I choose not to play. I'd rather play against bots 9 times out of 10. Online for me includes spawn-killings, rage-quits, problems finding decent full games, games ending midway when the host quits, etc. Online has been unreliable and I'll still be looking for decent single player experiences in whatever games I play in the future. You are guaranteed to get the game you want when you want it offline.

Every online poll and general posts of sentiment I've seen from a sites or forums I've visited recently (both gaming and non gaming) has been heavily skewed towards PS4 over Xbone. Tales of longtime loyal Xbox fans jumping ship, Gamestop employees pushing PS4, etc etc. But I guess this is just the hardcore 3% I keep hearing about on here that are following the news.

Most of the games I have played the past few years have online components which I choose not to play. I'd rather play against bots 9 times out of 10. Online for me includes spawn-killings, rage-quits, problems finding decent full games, games ending midway when the host quits, etc. Online has been unreliable and I'll still be looking for decent single player experiences in whatever games I play in the future. You are guaranteed to get the game you want when you want it offline.

I think you'll find a shift towards driving you online to play almost any experience.
Largely because the easiest way to monetize with microtransactions is social pressure, which doesn't work if you are playing on your own, and I think will be a driver next gen, whether F2P or otherwise.
I personally do not like online competitive games, but that's not what I'm talking about here, I think you'll see a lot of cooperative games, games that allow strangers to enter single player games as friends or foes, shared play spaces in games, games that require connection to dynamically change the world etc etc etc.
I think the strong strictly single player experience will be a rarity with next gen.
Look at Ubisofts driving game with "seamless multiplayer", and NFS has basically the same mechanism.

Every online poll and general posts of sentiment I've seen from a sites or forums I've visited recently (both gaming and non gaming) has been heavily skewed towards PS4 over Xbone. Tales of longtime loyal Xbox fans jumping ship, Gamestop employees pushing PS4, etc etc. But I guess this is just the hardcore 3% I keep hearing about on here that are following the news.

They sold out on Amazon which is a positive, I'd say there's reason to be concerned but much of this is overblown bc the mainstream doesn't even know new consoles are coming yet and in the US anyway when parents ask many kids will say the new Xbox without even doing any research. The Gamestop multiplier could shift things a bit bc someone working in the store who is a gamer has credibility with parents trying to make decisions but again we just don't know for sure what the sentiment will be of their employees and how much of impact it would be. Much of this is anecdotal atm....

They sold out on Amazon which is a positive, I'd say there's reason to be concerned but much of this is overblown bc the mainstream doesn't even know new consoles are coming yet and in the US anyway when parents ask many kids will say the new Xbox without even doing any research. The Gamestop multiplier could shift things a bit bc someone working in the store who is a gamer has credibility with parents trying to make decisions but again we just don't know for sure what the sentiment will be of their employees and how much of impact it would be. Much of this is anecdotal atm....

Dunno, I think it's getting to a level of sentiment shift that's unprecedented and will definitely have effects that continue down the line. Have we ever seen a company reverse and dump all their goodwill this hard with a new product before? Word is spreading, no doubt. That Sony used game policy joke video on YT has almost 11 mil views. The indirect FUD as a byproduct is working I think.

Hardcore sentiment obviously didn't affect Wii sales since casuals were there to support it right off the bat. If that situation doesn't happen for Xbone then I think they're in for a steep, uphill battle.

I think it was a big mistake for MS to announce it at 499. I had a good feeling that Sony would win the hardcore market but thought MS would win the casual market... but at 499 I'm not so sure anymore.

Dunno, I think it's getting to a level of sentiment shift that's unprecedented and will definitely have effects that continue down the line. Have we ever seen a company reverse and dump all their goodwill this hard with a new product before? Word is spreading, no doubt. That Sony used game policy joke video on YT has almost 11 mil views. The indirect FUD as a byproduct is working I think.

Hardcore sentiment obviously didn't affect Wii sales since casuals were there to support it right off the bat. If that situation doesn't happen for Xbone then I think they're in for a steep, uphill battle.

But all that's a reflection in the change of the online world, the very world that MS is banking on to jump onto the new xbox, and the one that's turning around to bite them on the ass. When the PS3 and the 360 were launched Facebook, Twitter etc were still more or less the domain of the geek but now everyone and their dog are using social media. Right from little Johnny up to his grand parents.

The whole worlds got a lot smaller and bad PR spreads so much faster to multiple strata's and that permeates everything. IMO MS really need to get a grip on this over the next month and get at least one positive PR meme that sticks into the social media.

Right. but that means people who like MS's games and play offline and have been with MS for 10 years have been told, "go away, we don't want you any more." That's why they're grumbling, because they feel 'betrayed'. And I think their sentiments can be contagious to other gamers who appreciate the 'betrayal'.

Complaining about a company whose products you supported for an extended length of time but who no longer provides a product you can support is about as irrational as a business who generated profits off you for an extended period of time complaining about you choosing a different product to support.

Imagine in 5 years, Nintendo sending nasty facebook messages to all the Wii owners who didn't to buy a Wii U.

Most of these comments people care getting "outraged" about are nothing at all imo.

Like Mattrick saying buy a 360 if you want offline. Perfectly legitimate answer.

At the end of the day, no one can force you to buy a product. So why are people so obsessed with it? The Xbone hate really goes overboard.

If you hate the Xbone a lot, the logical response would be to file it away as do not buy and move on with life.

Yeah until the hardcore Xbox fan like ranger don't buy it. Ms has nothing to worry about.

They will sell everyone they make this year.

Saying Rangers won't buy XB1 is like suggesting the next version of Windows wont have a service pack.... :cool:

Well the second one might actually happen, it's my understanding MS is trying to move Windows to the Apple model of annual releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back