Alienware Ultrawide OLED on sale £660 on Amazon.

I don't normally post deals but I know from speaking to a few people that they have been waiting for the Ultrawide OLED's to drop in price.

Today only the Alienware AW3423DWF is £660 on Amazon and Dells website.

It released at £1100.

It also has a 3 year burn in warranty.

I've ordered one and will be here on Wednesday.

And no I don't get paid for, just trying to help some members out from potentially missing out on the deal.

Last edited:
As the current owner of a far cheaper Monoprice 35" ultrawide, give your eyes (and brain) a little bit of time to get accustomed to it. The best part about these monitors is how immersed you become just from the additional field of view, without ever realizing it. Starfield has been a great example of how much the extra real estate makes some settings feel far more epic...

If you hate it, let me know and I'll trade you for my Dell U2711 and I'll even cover all the shipping fees!. I's literally the same height as what you're using now, just with the narrower field of view (2560x1440 instead of 3440x1440.)

It's arrived, it's impressive looking but I can't help but think it's a waste as I only look at the middle of the screen??
Once you get used to it you can never go back. It's not all about the games either. Productivity is awesome on ultrawidea.

It's very tempting to buy, but the recent Rtings 10-month burn-in update has left me concerned. Playing any 16:9 content will cause the central part of the screen to have higher ABL than in the 21:9 aspect, which will lead to accelerated differential wear. Unless I compromise and play any 16:9-only content on a console+TV :unsure:. And no fullscreen YouTube I guess 😅.

It's very tempting to buy, but the recent Rtings 10-month burn-in update has left me concerned. Playing any 16:9 content will cause the central part of the screen to have higher ABL than in the 21:9 aspect, which will lead to accelerated differential wear. Unless I compromise and play any 16:9-only content on a console+TV :unsure:. And no fullscreen YouTube I guess 😅.

I was worried but it has a 3 year burn in warranty so I'm OK and that rtings test is absolute WORSE CASE.

Still not convinced burn in is a solved problem, my lcd doesn't have a burn in warranty why? because it doesn't need one.

Still not convinced burn in is a solved problem, my lcd doesn't have a burn in warranty why? because it doesn't need one.
All display technologies have their pros/cons, it's about what the user is looking for in features and quality, how much they're willing to spend, and what they're willing to compromise on. OLED displays have very few cons compared to other displays, so if the price and features is within range, then many would consider the possibility of long term burn-in to be acceptable risk. And there is nothing close to OLED for picture quality.

well that's good then
I do have a question about that monitor, The specs say peak brightness of 1000 nits so why only the hdr400 designation ?

Last edited:
well that's good then
I do have a question about that monitor, The specs say peak brightness of 1000 nits so why only the hdr400 designation ?
Peak brightness doesn't equate to meeting some kind of certification. "HDR-1000" is not a certification, "DisplayHDR 1000" is. The monitor cannot display enough pixels in the screen at 1000nits for a sustained period to meet anything higher.

ok that explains it, but why cant they display enough pixels at 1000 nits I thought each oled pixel produces its own light (unlike lcd which relies on a back light) so if 1 pixel can hit 1000 nits why cant they all since they all produce their own light ?

ok that explains it, but why cant they display enough pixels at 1000 nits I thought each oled pixel produces its own light (unlike lcd which relies on a back light) so if 1 pixel can hit 1000 nits why cant they all since they all produce their own light ?

Heat.

But I will add, in normal gaming this Aliemware monitor is no different in terms of brightness than my old Cooler Master GP27Q.

Which was a 576 zone mini-LED monitor with FALD that did 1200+ nits.

The LG OLED on the other hand is way behind the Alienware and Cooler Master in terms of HDR brightness.

Keep in mind that while LCD's don't generally have pixel burn in, their backlight does degrade over time. Whites will tend to start becoming more yellowish, for example. So LCD's aren't perfect either. Not to mention LCD's start off worse when brand new (panel and backlight uniformity, grey instead of black, much lower real contrast ratio, etc.).

OLEDs do have burn in risks with Samsung panels thus far exhibiting higher burn-in risk than LG panels. But that can be mitigated on PC by lowering max brightness (you almost never need max brightness on OLED due to the extremely high uninflated contrast ratio), having a secondary monitor for permanent desktop items (icons, task bar, windows that you always keep open), periodically moving things around on your main display, getting a display with good burn-in management (LG is tops here), etc.

Is it a little more work to lower burn-in risk? Sure, but it's nothing I notice anymore. And the benefit is those absolute blacks versus the grey blacks on an LCD or light fringing on LCDs with mini-LED backlighting and incredibly low display latency. My LG CX is now almost 3 years old with no sign of burn-in by doing the things I mentioned above.

Regards,
SB

Back