DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

New one! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=546970348720663

They also said that they decided to delay full race video until more optimizations is done.

OMG ! They are approaching photorealistic lighting !! Money, money, money, where do I get all that money for all these awesomeness-es :mad: !

From thier fb page for this video:
Because the skies are organic and dynamic in #DRIVECLUB, none of our lighting is baked or painted on, so this exact moment is a once in a lifetime event!

We want you to know that #DRIVECLUB is still improving day by day. We're still optimising the skies, frame rate, reflections, lighting (in car and out), audio and much more - and that we will keep you up to speed with development as much as we can. Thanks again everyone!

So, the cockpit lighting will improve. (y)

Just noticed the real god rays in this video, not added "just because we want you to see god rays". Falling out of the clouds.

It's not bad. The car interior isn't so hot, but the externals are fairly convincing. Thank goodness they are treating the camera as a human viewer and not a video camera - no lens flare! The HDR is a little too narrow a range though. We've got spectacular white-out in the clouds when driving in the shadow of the mountain, to only reveal the sky detail when exposure has adjusted for the bright lights. It may not be possible to get true photorealism without an HDR display, because the tone mapping will lose the visual sense of being there. One's eyes could make out detail in the sky while in the shadows, but it may hurt the eyes. Current LDR displays can only show comfortable detail or white-out.

This one is very impressive in car lighting. The environment and internals aren't going to wow, but when playing and focussing on the cars in front, the headlight reflection is very believable. I suppose factoring in peripheral vision limits, reducing scenery and interior detail makes some sense.

The details in the cockpit look flat (where's the AO?), but outside looks fantastic. Their Sunlight finally seems to have got a "Glow" which was missing earlier. Now, only if they release a 1080p video on gamersyde , or the new High Bit -rate trend, then we can actually relish some details. The environments looks so damn good.

I thought the dash looked really flat as well. Or seemed to be lacking texture and depth compared to previous videos. Maybe each time we're being shown new features, in this case dynamic global illumination and cloud generation, other features get turned off whilst they are fine tuning the framerate?

An interview quote from mercedes site
One of the limiting factors is that traditional televisions don’t fill your peripheral vision, and in a real car it’s your peripheral vision that gives you a much better sensation of speed. Equally, this wider view gives you the ability to look further ahead or into an upcoming corner. We are however actively working on solving this challenge and are confident it’s something we can improve to bring the game ever closer to real life.

Talking about VR?

I thought the dash looked really flat as well. Or seemed to be lacking texture and depth compared to previous videos. Maybe each time we're being shown new features, in this case dynamic global illumination and cloud generation, other features get turned off whilst they are fine tuning the framerate?

This time there was no direct light falling on the dashboard, leading to no shadows.They mentioned at FB that lighting improvements are happening for both outside the car and inside.

I'm afraid the game will have long load times. For me this will deter from the fun.

It would be great if they can implement this (for online).
Because many of the tracks are often based on 1 locale, the game should keep that environment in memory, where you can participate in many races, different types, tracks and so on. When joining a lobby you only load the other peoples data, the map/environment data stays. This way you will have a seamless racing experience, you could even be test racing while the lobby is being formed.

Is this a good idea? or has it already been done before?

installing a faster HDD will help with any load time concern, good thing all games gets install, but I still wish it was an option.

A new video has been released (with some KZ footage):

http://vimeo.com/80618520

The environments are gorgious with impressive draw distance. I find the AA really impressive, it seems perfect...too perfect? I hope they didn't overdo with the FXAA... my only fear for this game.

What do you think?

s986r.gif

I think it's real in-game... it looks very similar to recent footage.

Everything looks incredible... I have very few complaints now, if any. They've dramatically improved the car models, shaders, lighting and AA. Environments were always great, but I see improvements there, too. I still hope for 60fps, but I highly doubt it. Seems like they're focusing on the IQ and getting the framerate solid. The delay has been worth it, it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you accept 60fps... if it meant having the same image quality as Forza 5? So lighting and everything stays, but the image quality drops..
60 fps guys, yes or no?

A new video has been released (with some KZ footage):

http://vimeo.com/80618520

The environments are gorgious with impressive draw distance. I find the AA really impressive, it seems perfect...too perfect? I hope they didn't overdo with the FXAA... my only fear for this game.

What do you think?

s986r.gif

Wow the footage in that video is beautiful, especially the night time ! THey are really going to deliver a great image in the end.

Back