KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

Some bad shader aliasing here and there but for the most part it looks good.

EDIT:
I thought there wouldn't be more overblown whites now that they're using HDR. Guess I was wrong.
ibm2WS3I80Zrs7.png
They were using HDR before; it just wasn't gamma-correct. And where'd you get the idea that HDR prevents blown-out whites? Have you not played Battlefield 3?

Well, at least now we know that they are not wasting 50gigs on some stupid stuff like prerendered Bink FMVs [or worse, 3D FMVs]. :D

I don't think that the 720 < 900 < 1080 comparisons will die away this generation. In fact I think that the push to 1080, certainly on Sonys behalf, is going to make people realise just how good things can look on their 40"+ TV, especially at native resolution.

Just how good upscaled images are going to look on average, none calibrated, TV's we don't know yet. All we have seen are off screens and PR shots.

Decent surround setups are probably harder to find than HDTV's in a regular living room. And though surround sound is important, and there have been some cracking uses on the PS3, I don't think it's going to divert the course of conversation away from the eny candy.

I agree with you on the merits, I'm referring to the less objective hand waiving and emotion that somehow always comes up. We'd have a much better conversation generally if people don't know the platform an IP is coming to.

Fur in the insides of his jacket = 9 points of nextgenness

ivfa7QjKDLvlo.png

The fur looks quite bad and overall character lighting looks flat in the above shot.

Why does this shot below look much better? Even in this higher quality model you could see polygon edges on his head and collar. I would think the PS4 has enough power when solely doing a cutscene.

ipmRGp8Prh42.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The fur looks quite bad and overall character lighting looks flat.

The only issue for me with this shot is all the guards/soldiers are exactly the same. I really hope we start to see some variety in the sizes, builds and some variation in the characters this generation. Procedurally it shouldn't be too tough to create some variety and as part of start of level randomly assemble some textures for the level and variation for the NPCs. Personally I'd prefer to see that than most other things.

The only issue for me with this shot is all the guards/soldiers are exactly the same. I really hope we start to see some variety in the sizes, builds and some variation in the characters this generation. Procedurally it shouldn't be too tough to create some variety and as part of start of level randomly assemble some textures for the level and variation for the NPCs. Personally I'd prefer to see that than most other things.

Thanks for ruining it for me. I didn't even pay attention to that before.

Agree 100%....good news is Capcom is doing some of that in DR3 so I hope that is a standard for all games to follow going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree 100%....good news is Capcom is doing some of that in DR3 so I hope that is a standard for all games to follow going forward.

If I was a developer that is an area I would place an emphasis on, I don't think it would be too hard to work out the mechanics and its something you could license fairly easily as everyone who makes games could use your tech.

That would be cool. But I hope they go back to refine their AI.

The enemies should behave differently under different scenarios. Some should be more likely to fall back, some should be more aggressive. When they gain in number, they should be more bold. When I'm out of ammo, they should laugh and charge, etc.

The Uncharted AI is pretty good at it.

EDIT: Probably involves lotsa testing. But I prefer this kind of changes to pure eye candy.

You mean downgrade...
From what? KZ 4 is a freaking launch title, what do you want from it, seriously?

Compared to previous console launches we've had nothing that even closely resembles the IQ of first wave software in this generation, even when considering the overall much weaker hardware of past consoles.

It's a joke jab at all the FanBoys who kept touting "downgrades" in the other threads. If other games opt for 30fps instead of 60fps for a portion of the game it's a downgrade, but when Sony does it it's identified as a "trade-offs". When the proper circumstance is both are classified as "trade-offs".

Oh and read my post with the post title of ";)" taken into account.

From what? KZ 4 is a freaking launch title, what do you want from it, seriously?

Compared to previous console launches we've had nothing that even closely resembles the IQ of first wave software in this generation, even when considering the overall much weaker hardware of past consoles.

I think it was an attempted oblique post about another game that couldn't make it to 1080p and keep any eye candy which is a 'design choice' but keeps getting called out as a downgrade. Which it isn't of course. It's just that the system it's running on is too feeble to get to full res without choking :LOL:

Back