KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

I have read that PDF the minute it was released...

I have always stated that I am not a tech guy or a tech addicted, all my comments in the graphic department are due to what my eyes actually see.

For exemple, look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40FceEtj-U

The original reveal of Battlefield 4 - fishing in backu - is something truly nextgen in my eyes.
And we are talking about a multiplatform cross-gen title that will be available for every platform out there.

Killzone, instead, is a First Party Exclusive that once means graphic power.

Fishing in Backu is more than a generation ahead of KZ:SF in my eyes.
And I can read all the pdf you want, join all the hype of this world, but nothing can change this. In my eyes.

Hmm... Pretty boring AI. In KZ2, they would come at me if I'm that close, specially if they heard gunshot downstairs. Perhaps it's because they take more shots to kill, and can do more during an encounter.

At 8:56, it looks like that silly enemy AI was shooting at his own people, before getting knocked out from behind. Seems rather static and fake.

The destruction is there but it has been there since last gens. Will be interesting to see what KZSF adds here.

Other than that, you can criticize it using the same argument, just higher res and textures. In fact, it's available on PS360 right ? Also same annoying lens flare.

Elaborate, please.

I consider the new art style a regression from the KZ2 one. ;-)
Compared to KZ3, i think it's more in line with that direction. The KZSF forest looks better and more convincing than the KZ3 jungle, but they don't look treacherous anymore, probably because it's peace time now (and the location is different). Ah, war is better.

As for long time problems in KZ2 and 3, it's the simplistic party match making. When I join an MP game with my party, we often get split up. In RFOM, it will try its best to put us together.

In KZ3, they took away custom war zones. In KZSF, they are putting it back. So that's an improvement.

Hmm... Pretty boring AI. In KZ2, they would come at me if I'm that close, specially if they heard gunshot downstairs. Perhaps it's because they take more shots to kill, and can do more during an encounter.

At 8:56, that silly enemy AI was shooting at his own people, before getting knocked out from behind. Seems rather static and fake.

The destruction is there but it has been there since last gens. Will be interesting to see what KZSF adds here.

Other than that, you can criticize it using the same argument, just higher res and textures. In fact, it's available on PS360 right ? Also same annoying lens flare.

So to you KZ:SF has the same graphic impact and fidelity that has Fishing in Backu ?

Compared to KZ3, i think it's more in line with that direction. The KZSF forest looks better and more convincing than the jungle, but they don't look treacherous anymore, probably because it's peace time now. Ah, war is better.

As for long time problems in KZ2 and 3, it's the simplistic party match making. When I join an MP game with my party, we often get split up. In RFOM, it will try its best to put us together.

In KZ3, they took away custom war zones. In KZSF, they are putting it back.

You've also got to take into account that KZSF is taking place on Vekta, a far more pleasant and hospitable planet than Helghan. I'll miss the flora of the jungle though. Nothing quite like exploding vegetation to make a kill satisfying :LOL:

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

So to you KZ:SF has the same graphic impact and fidelity that has Fishing in Backu ?

I don't know about same graphics impact, they are different games and we only look at a very limited set of media. They both have high poly close ups, improved lighting, better textures, etc. Same things you criticized.

But the AI in that video are pretty dumb in my opinion. I think "Halo: Combat Evolved" AI is more lively. Like I said, perhaps because the enemies could survive more hits. So they could engage the player more.

In KZ3, they took away custom war zones. In KZSF, they are putting it back.

I don't think that the art style "regressed".
Sure the Vektan side of the wall it's very bright, very rich of colours nothing like KZ 2 but that will only enhance the contrast/dichotomy with the Helghast side which, form what I saw, looks very gloomy, dark, and sinister just like Helghan in KZ 2.

As for the MP I know what you mean.

You've also got to take into account that KZSF is taking place on Vekta, a far more pleasant and hospitable planet than Helghan. I'll miss the flora of the jungle though. Nothing quite like exploding vegetation to make a kill satisfying :LOL:

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

Yes I edited my post to mention that the location is different in KZSF.

The KZ3 jungle looks different, but it is not thick enough. It's kinda funny I could sit there with my butt exposed but the Helghast Elite can't see me with all his advanced surveillance electronics.

KZ3 is interesting because in 3D, the game looks different. Objects and colors are rendered carefully to cater to the scene in 3D space. In 2D, sometimes they become a colorful mess IMHO. In 3D, it all makes sense, and you could locate hiding enemies quicker.

Is graphic the only thing that matters to you?
What abut gameplay, does it matter to you?
I look at Fishing in Baku and there's nothing "new" on the gameplay side.
The only neat new mechanics BF 4 has introduced in SP are tear reloading (also in MP) and squad commands (which SF has as well) but that's it.

SF instead has many neat "new to the serie" gameplay mechanics.
We will be able to: climb ledges, perform takedowns form above (even in MP), chain melee kills, deploy shields, zip-line around the map, activate slow-mo, see through walls, stun enemies, use cover even in MP and even be able to teleport.

All these things are more important to me than better looking trees or a better lightshafts and really make the difference from last/this-gen military FPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put trolls on ignore, it is obvious when someone is interested in talking about a game and when they are not. Move on.

I think airons biggest issue with KZ is that it is on the wrong platform, and therefore shouldn't be getting any praise at all.

It could just be that his monitor needs cleaning after all that licking it got over in the Ryse thread...

Seriously though, we get the point you're an ms fanboi / troll with bad eye sight and have serious OCD about posting the same thing over and over again in the hope that it will come true.

Enough already :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see all the comments on the DF reviews for this upcoming generation. Waiting to see all those comments about how important sound is and how 720P vs 900P vs 1080P isn't. This of course will be in contrast to this generation where 7.1 surround benefits over 5.1 didn't matter and never impacted the outcome of a comparison and 5% more pixels was the difference between best game ever and crap. :LOL:

It will be interesting to see all the comments on the DF reviews for this upcoming generation. Waiting to see all those comments about how important sound is and how 720P vs 900P vs 1080P isn't. This of course will be in contrast to this generation where 7.1 surround benefits over 5.1 didn't matter and never impacted the outcome of a comparison and 5% more pixels was the difference between best game ever and crap. :LOL:

I don't think that the 720 < 900 < 1080 comparisons will die away this generation. In fact I think that the push to 1080, certainly on Sonys behalf, is going to make people realise just how good things can look on their 40"+ TV, especially at native resolution.

Just how good upscaled images are going to look on average, none calibrated, TV's we don't know yet. All we have seen are off screens and PR shots.

Decent surround setups are probably harder to find than HDTV's in a regular living room. And though surround sound is important, and there have been some cracking uses on the PS3, I don't think it's going to divert the course of conversation away from the eny candy.

SF instead has many neat "new to the serie" gameplay mechanics.
We will be able to: climb ledges, perform takedowns form above (even in MP), chain melee kills, deploy shields, zip-line around the map, activate slow-mo, see through walls, stun enemies, use cover even in MP and even be able to teleport.

A good list of never before seen new gameplay mechanics ... :D

I clearly cannot talk about KZ:SF gameplay because I still have to play it.
But, honestly, there is nothing I have seen so far in KZ:SF that looks ground breaking in terms of gameplay.
Actually, speaking about FPS gamplay, the only New Thing seems to be Titanfall with its mix of Tribes and Mechs. But again I have not played Titanfal neither, so it is just a simple impression.

I am purely concentrating on the graphic of KZ:SF because (and here I have to repeat myself x 1000 times sorry guys) KZ in my mind is more associated with graphic than gameplay, Great Graphic.
And, graphically, being impressed far more by Fishing in Backu than KZ:SF is somehow bitter, for many many reasons.

I hope, no I am sure, that the game will be incredible to play and that there will be also incredible graphic moments in the game.

Never the less for what I have seen so far the Next Gen Killzone is more on the side of disappointment that the excitment.

As a margin note, it is incredible how many people here are ready to offend, to attack, or simply to label people that seems to think outside of the chorus ... but I love you all:LOL::LOL::LOL:!!!

I didn't say that those are never seen before mechanics.
I said those mechanics are new to the KZ serie.

EDIT

For the record I am not saying BF 4 is bad.
I am just saying that DICE didn't add many new gameplay mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:
And, graphically, being impressed far more by Fishing in Backu

Frankly, main improvement BF4 has over it's predecesor is higher res. textures an more particles. It just looks like yet antother CoD/BF played on PC (i.e. in higher resolution). I don't see any improvements in amount of polygons pushed into the scene, some of the objects, buildings looks very simple, ocean surface is not up to par with waves we've seen in Resistance 2 .

As for KZ

large.jpg

large.jpg

A good list of never before seen new gameplay mechanics ... :D

I clearly cannot talk about KZ:SF gameplay because I still have to play it.
But, honestly, there is nothing I have seen so far in KZ:SF that looks ground breaking in terms of gameplay.
Actually, speaking about FPS gamplay, the only New Thing seems to be Titanfall with its mix of Tribes and Mechs. But again I have not played Titanfal neither, so it is just a simple impression.

I am purely concentrating on the graphic of KZ:SF because (and here I have to repeat myself x 1000 times sorry guys) KZ in my mind is more associated with graphic than gameplay, Great Graphic.
And, graphically, being impressed far more by Fishing in Backu than KZ:SF is somehow bitter, for many many reasons.

You are mistaken. KZ2 is about both graphics and gameplay. It was and still is the only one that delivers the realistic weight, AI and animation during gameplay. The Fishing in Backu video looks lame because all they do is stay at the same spot and shoot. This applies to both the enemies and friendly forces. KZ traditionally is more like Uncharted, Halo, RFOM where the enemies exhibit more interesting behaviors.

I hope, no I am sure, that the game will be incredible to play and that there will be also incredible graphic moments in the game.

I have never completed a BF SP though. Found them pretty mechanical and artificial. I got it mostly for the MP because Gaffers asked me to join them. Different game for different folks I guess.

Never the less for what I have seen so far the Next Gen Killzone is more on the side of disappointment that the excitment.

As a margin note, it is incredible how many people here are ready to offend, to attack, or simply to label people that seems to think outside of the chorus ... but I love you all:LOL::LOL::LOL:!!!

I don't know why it matters how other people feel to you. That suggests that you have issues accepting your own feelings and are looking to others for confirmation.

It is perfectly fine to be disappointed by the KZSF trailers. I wasn't moved by them or the Fishing in Baku video or the TitanFalls trailers either. But I still love the developers. ^_^

These are all launch titles. I am pretty sure they will improve.

Back