KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

R3 was at least as good as R1 was for me. Loved both of them.
I didn't mind R2 either, but it was forgettable.

I loved R1 and R3. They were on equal footing as far as gameplay went. Obviously the graphics were a world apart.

R2 was just abysmal, a true victim of the cod brain death. I hated the fish you couldn't shoot and the invisible things. But I did like the section where you were in the town with all the greys and pods.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

Resistance SP I played to follow the story, but the best part was coop R2, loved that one. Would have paid tons of cash to have new levels mission for that.

If I am able to secure a PS4 for release date, I will be all DD this time.

I loved the first Resistance but couln't get into the other ones. On the other hand I've loved all Killzone games so far, and enjoyed both their gameplay and looks more (though so far Resistance 1 had cooler breaking glass than most next-gen games ;) ). So for me this is a good trade. I would have played DriveClub to death though so that's a definite loss for me at launch, but there are plenty of other games to be played, and I do want DriveClub to be good.

You didn't play R3 SP ? It's better than RFOM SP and R2.

Resistance SP I played to follow the story, but the best part was coop R2, loved that one. Would have paid tons of cash to have new levels mission for that.

If I am able to secure a PS4 for release date, I will be all DD this time.

The big enemies in R2 co-op were so-so. They are simple tanks.

The chimeras were the stars. Their AI was aggressive and ruthless. It was best when some of the team members underestimated the chimeras and got themselves killed in the forest. Trying to revive them one by one was quite an experience. Those monsters would also use Auger to flush you out of hiding if they knew where you're. The berserkers would charge into the hut if you're recovering there.

Taken with FrAPS from the footage, the footage is too low quality:

We need direct feed :^(

07kk.png

Character hair seems to be WIP still, KZ3 had better hair ( remember Rico :^P )
This one I like, especially the lighting.

Interesting news, especially for the graphics enthusiasts; The developers of the game say that the texture quality increased fourfold since February.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013..._quality_has_improved_fourfold_since_february

Now that you mentioned it, I only remember the black dude's short hair in KZSF. There is a female soldier but she's hooded. KZSF should have much better hair than KZ2 and 3.

GG mentioned that they have better cloth sim in KZSF:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/09/20/killzone-shadow-fall-introducing-the-black-hand/

How has developing for a next-generation platform enhanced the character design and authoring process?

Dan Calvert: There were a couple of important things that we wouldn’t have been able to achieve on older consoles, and if we’d lost these they would have really compromised our vision for the Black Hand. Having all those loose-fitting elements move naturally, respond to the motion of the character, and collide with one another would have been impossible without the advances in our simulation and character rigging.

In addition, we’ve become a lot better at cloth and civilian-style clothing – instead of sculpting the character’s clothes out of digital clay, we now cut and sew digital clothing patterns and then precompute how they would hang on the character to get the most natural folds and seams possible. We’ve also improved our ability to render cloth-like materials and simulate in-game cloth behavior.

I'm not particularly interested in KZSF after KZ3, but I will see how MP looks in that free MP weekend and eventually buy the game in PS+ sale (or free later ;) )

Now that you mentioned it, I only remember the black dude's short hair in KZSF. There is a female soldier but she's hooded. KZSF should have much better hair than KZ2 and 3.

GG mentioned that they have better cloth sim in KZSF:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/09/20/killzone-shadow-fall-introducing-the-black-hand/

Typical...........all that effort in minutia and then they couple it with plasti-skin and a hair helmet and nobody notices the minutia....or cares.

The sad part is that with it being a FPS and with an antagonist that wears a mask it shouldn't have been that performance taxing to have done a top flight skin shader.

I loved R1 and R3. They were on equal footing as far as gameplay went. Obviously the graphics were a world apart.

R2 was just abysmal, a true victim of the cod brain death. I hated the fish you couldn't shoot and the invisible things. But I did like the section where you were in the town with all the greys and pods.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner
R2's campaign was tons better than any COD's. That said, it would have been really great if it had refined R1, which had great ideas, but some confusing weapons and enemies with too many HPs.

I also really hated the, "This is set in the 1950s, but it's actually a mix of 2000s and 1950s," aesthetics. The problem with games set in the 50s and 60s is that the people responsible for the design figure out pretty rapidly that it would be a lot more fun to give the players more modern kit. So we get underslung grenade launchers, DM rifles, electronics that could not imaginably exist in a world of vacuum tubes and early transistors, shoulder-fired AA rockets, and a whole bunch of stuff more suited for a game set in the 1970s or 80s at the earliest. Then there's other little things like shorts being the wrong length, waists being the wrong height, ball caps being from the wrong decade, and hair styles that apparently are based on magazines that fell from a time portal that opened up in 2011. The fictional weapons all suffer from the blizzard of fins, louvres, ridges, hanging plates, knobs, and other junk that artists love but make the gun look ridiculous, too.

It just gets dumber and dumber until I've been completely taken out of the game's world and am playing something that's no more realistic than Super Mario Bros.

I also really hated the, "This is set in the 1950s, but it's actually a mix of 2000s and 1950s," aesthetics. The problem with games set in the 50s and 60s is that the people responsible for the design figure out pretty rapidly that it would be a lot more fun to give the players more modern kit. So we get underslung grenade launchers, DM rifles, electronics that could not imaginably exist in a world of vacuum tubes and early transistors
It's been years since I plays RFOM or R2 but I seem to recall the story explained the advanced weaponry as being the result of allied forces capturing and reverse engineering Chimeran technology.

:D I didn't know you were irked by the inconsistencies. They claimed that the advanced weapons were essentially reworked alien weapons.

I liked RFOM's simplicity and the clan + party system's functionality. All I need is good maps. Some of the RFOM ones could be dominated by camping the sniper rifle spawn point for example.

I didn't even buy the backward engineering concept to begin with becuase if you took a truckload of current-day technology and dumped it in 1950, they didn't have the technology to be able backward engineer it, and that was in peacetime without most of the infrastructure blown to bits by aliens. The alien stuff the humans retro-engineered clearly relied on miniaturization and other processes that simply would have been unobtainable. That's what makes retro sci-fi so hard. Sci-fi writers typical imagine aliens with very, very advanced versions of what we can do today, which is why then imagining reverse-engineering isn't so far-fetched. What the Resistance writers did is have 1950s characters reverse-engineer the imaginations 2000s sci-fi writers, which just plain doesn't work. I think it could have worked if the Chimera used organic weapons (I could more easily imagine 1950s scientists capturing an alien bio-gun, breeding it, and mounting it on a jeep than I could imagine them building tiny radio transmitters to put in bullets), but instead they're using very, very advanced manufacturing and computers.

But my biggest beef isn't with that, it's with the 100% human weapons. M5A2 Carbine is functionally an M16 with an M203, a thing that didn't exist until the late 1960s. Thing is, we already know what the US would have had in 1951, because that's when the Korean War happened: M1 Garands, M1 carbines and rifle grenades. There's simply not enough time between the end of WW2 and the first Resistance game for military technology to have advanced that far. And we know what was in the design pipeline for the West: the FAL and the M14.

Furthermore, the dedicated sniper rifle wasn't even a concept in the 1950s. Until the 1960s, snipers simply used very high-quality battle rifles fitted with optics. In the Korean war, Western snipers used Springfields and Enfields, rifles that predated WW1. In Resistance, the L23 Fareye is basically a Dragunov with an M14 suppressor---it is a 1960s gun, not a 1950s gun.

Also, no, no minguns in 1951. Just...no.

The reason I go off about this is that I would actually like to play a first-person shooter set after WW2, but before 1978!!! But the game industry simply can't bring itself to do that. Gameplay conventions of the genre are firmly rooted in the 1980s and later, so what developers inevitably do is wrap modern technology in wood and steel, play Elvis in the background, and call that "the 1960s."

And don't get me started on Black Ops. What an utterly wasted opportunity that was.

I think think this circles back to the age-old argument of the realism of games. If you took out all of the implausible/impossible weapons from RFOM and made it a more realistic military shooter I definitely wouldn't have bought it and Resistance 2.

R2's campaign was tons better than any COD's.

This, I totally agree with. People keep downplaying R2 but having recently replayed the campaign, it was actually very very good and just visually unpolished in quite some areas. In some areas you could see that the artists left the work unfinished, but as for the campaign itself, it played really good and was a lot of fun ! To qoute Capelli: "It was an Honour!" (maybe not that good when compared to R1 and 3, but it was very Resistance and very fun indeed)

The reason I go off about this is that I would actually like to play a first-person shooter set after WW2, but before 1978!!!

YESH YESH YESH ! Please please make a WW1 and WW2 shooter with next gen graphics and true stories of soldiers and squads. Please do :cry: ! Why , oh gaming gods, why won't anyone make it :cry: !!!!

YESH YESH YESH ! Please please make a WW1 and WW2 shooter with next gen graphics and true stories of soldiers and squads. Please do :cry: ! Why , oh gaming gods, why won't anyone make it :cry: !!!!

Remember when every shooter was either WW1 or WW2 based? Everybody kind of got sick of them! I think that's why we never really see them anymore.

The resistance storyline took place in an alternate time line, hence the difference in weapons and a few other things. It was never meant to be realistic in any way!

My biggest grope with R2 was the way they changed the control scheme and gameplay to more match the expectations of cod. The actual content was a step up from R1 in everyday. And the co-op mode was ace!

KZ for the gold!!

I think think this circles back to the age-old argument of the realism of games. If you took out all of the implausible/impossible weapons from RFOM and made it a more realistic military shooter I definitely wouldn't have bought it and Resistance 2.

I don't mind games with either premise as long as they play well. I think people react more towards obnoxious characters, like Rico in KZ2, or JarJar Binks in StarWars.

Rico could cause the player to die because he blocked the escape path like an idiot. KZ3 friendly AI was miles better. Something like Uncharted's AI would be great.

Back