KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

Believe me I am even sorry for how I feel about KZ, because, I have always considered KZ games as graphic master pieces.
But KZ:SF in its glorious 1080 failed miserably to impress me.

You're comparing 2 different genres of games:
Watch a God of War 3 video then watch Ryse.
Watch a KZ3 video then watch KZ:SF.

GoW3 looked 'next gen' to a lot of people, but that's partly due to the advantages of the genre. The main character is 'over-rendered'.

As a primarily PC gamer, KZ:SF is a game that I'd be interested in on PC.

Airon said:
Believe me I am even sorry for how I feel about KZ, because, I have always considered KZ games as graphic master pieces.
But KZ:SF in its glorious 1080 failed miserably to impress me.

Airon, have you ever played a KZ game before? I think the problem here is all about expectations. Different people will have different expectations depending on what they have seen or played. Different games (developers) make different compromises. To the non-technical-minded, some of these trade-offs result in a more or less impressive experience.

IMO - the biggest wow-effect I've ever had (in the most non-technical-minded sense) has been probably a Metal Gear Solid game. Kojima knows how to create great art-direction and his team puts a lot of effort into fine details that many other developers simply don't care to invest in. One of the most amazing scenes IMO is still that oil-tankership scene at the beginning of MGS2 - rain, wind and watching enemy soldiers through your scope. No matter how much is pre-baked, tricked, repetitive-animation, standing there, looking through that scope, I could really *feel* the wind and the rain. Not many games can pull of such a feat.

Even in todays games, a full generation ahead, we might have a thousand fold of higher resolution textures, more complex game mechanics - but even if todays games are that much more advanced, some of them still fail to capture that "realness", authentic feel that some games miraculously are able to pull off. Why? Because a game could have unlimited amount of textures, but if the scene is bland, it's still as artificial as a lifeless vessel. Yet, add realistic movement, authentic light, the element of wind or rain and even if you have simplistic textures or low-polygon characters moving about, that whole scene might still come across as being way more "impressive".

I think part of what I just described is what you may feel let down in KZ:SF in regards to other games. I have to admit, I haven't seen Ryse, so I can't really compare, but even if it comes across as more authentic, more "next-gen" in your eyes, I think there is a lot in this next KZ:SF to appreciate it as a true next gen game. As I said previously, different devs make different trade-offs. Guerrilla obviously dedicated their resources in stunning IQ, big battlegrounds, complex A.I.

Most of us in this thread I assume have played previous KZ games, so we perhaps a bit more so than others, know what we can expect or we already notice some of the fine details that are now even more impressive than in previous games (because we already drooled over it in previous games), where as others who have not played a KZ game might not fully appreciate these things until you actually play it. This might lead to us who have played previous KZ games to being more impressed, where others are simply judging the game from a different angle.

Anyway, moving on - I'm really excited about this next KZ. I especially have a great feeling about the multiplayer and think this could be as good as KZ2 was (yeah, I'm the one who isn't a fan of KZ3 multiplayer :p)

EDIT: oops, looks like mods are cleaning up this topic. If deemed inappropriate or too derailing, please delete.

Move on folks.

Oh you, you, you.

That was a dry run for the looming console launch.

Have you applied for leave to monitor these fora yet ?

I remember the last time, B3D console forum was shutdown and thrown away like a piece of rag in 2006 or so.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I think people here are discussing a moot point here. One can post links to th elighting presentation of GG and then list down all that their new engine is doing and just stop this 'discussion'. The game has started looking as good as Metro Last Light on highest settings possible and ppl say it doesn't look next gen ! Pfft ! I don't believe it even needs to be explained to someone.

If someone thinks this can be done on the ps3, then I would say save your money and wait for it to be done on the ps3. Last of Us, Halo4 and Beyond have gone as far as it can go and it is nowhere near this high res, high poly, realtime GI infused, lit by area lights ,POM laden , particle boosted extrvaganza with blurred Screenspace reflections and destructable environments to boot. And all that at 1080p and smooth 30fps with 24 AI driven enemy characters with different behaviours who can find their way in thed estructible environments.
If all this isn't next gen to you, I guess, theres no point buying the new consoles then, cos this is how games are going to be.

Btw, looks like all the complainers did not notice how bad the characters' hair are ! Ps3 kz3 did it better, but no one's complaining on it.

Heads-up for anyone who doesn't believe KZ4 looks next-gen; I got some prime beachfront arizona properties that I need to get rid of quick, going for record-low prices, so come, buy buy buy! Before they're all sold!!

;)

It looks stunning.
One can argue if it's the most beatiful game - I think not not becasue I prefer diffrent artstyle.
It is also not the most technicaly impressive, because this position is taken by GTA V (I don't how Rockstar managed to pull this one out on current gen),
Nevertheless, the overall quality and advancement of graphics in Killzone SF is the best I've seen so far.

Holy shit at the destruction...switched of the rest of the clip..,media blackout for me...can't wait!

This clip helped...so now Killzone back on top of my next gen list...a snap in front of Ryse.

Amazon wrote me an email...that Drive Club is not available at launch...so no special bundle for me :(

Maybe I take the KZ bundle now...

It looks stunning.
One can argue if it's the most beatiful game - I think not not becasue I prefer diffrent artstyle.
It is also not the most technicaly impressive, because this position is taken by GTA V (I don't how Rockstar managed to pull this one out on current gen),
Nevertheless, the overall quality and advancement of graphics in Killzone SF is the best I've seen so far.

Technically, I am impressed. But art direction-wise, I hope they reexamine some of the effects.

http://a.pomf.se/8Md5.gif

That scene does capture the KZ2 style very well.

Yeah, the Helghan side they showed in that crossover section is pretty much KZ-like, but we couldn't see anything int hat low quality stream.Also, the broken down building in the forest level has KZ2 esque feel once inside. The video says the game is 50% in the Vektan environments, super clean and beautiful and 50% in the Helghan side of the city. So, we will get enough of our KZ-environments too. I think they just want to wow people with clean beautiful environments. If they are as good as the forest level, I am happy with that decision.

So, we will get enough of our KZ-environments too. I think they just want to wow people with clean beautiful environments. If they are as good as the forest level, I am happy with that decision.

I like the sounds of this. I really liked Killzone 2 (didn't play 3) but felt there wasn't enough variety in the areas. My only concern other concern with Guerrilla Games, based solely on KZ2, is the script writing which I think was awful in KZ2. But being out of a squad and not having to listen inane squad 'banter' will largely solve that. I'll just talk to my Owl thing and annoy my g/f.

KZ:SF will be the first disc I slot into my PS4 on 29 November.. oooh.. not long now :D

From one pov it's better to have the disk version. But a geek inside me wants to try new sony's tech about partial downloads and play :D
Ditto, but I'm going to get Knack digitally along with Resogun and god knowns what else. But I want to be up and shooting Helgast within 20 minutes :LOL:

I so wish there was a Resistance 4 at launch , from Insomniac ! Along the lines of Rsistance 3. The game is too good to be abandoned :(

Yep !

As for MP, I would love it if they get rid of the kill streaks and unfair weapons (especially the one that looks like a vacuum cleaner)

Ditto, but I'm going to get Knack digitally along with Resogun and god knowns what else. But I want to be up and shooting Helgast within 20 minutes :LOL:

There is a promo in USA store atm - spend 50$ and get 10 back. And also there is a preorder for knack. So it could be bought for 50$ :)

I so wish there was a Resistance 4 at launch , from Insomniac ! Along the lines of Rsistance 3. The game is too good to be abandoned :(

I loved the first Resistance but couln't get into the other ones. On the other hand I've loved all Killzone games so far, and enjoyed both their gameplay and looks more (though so far Resistance 1 had cooler breaking glass than most next-gen games ;) ). So for me this is a good trade. I would have played DriveClub to death though so that's a definite loss for me at launch, but there are plenty of other games to be played, and I do want DriveClub to be good.

Back