KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

I say it IS the same crybaby nonsense, because nobody has played this KZ yet outside of the devs and Sony themselves, all we know about the game is what they've shown, which is no more than the equivalent of a fragment of the first level from other shooting games and that's it. Now people with limited minds and imagination are extrapolating the bright and colorful environs of the introduction level to cover the entirety of the gameplay experience whilst loudly whingeing about the "change" in atmosphere, mood etc, and there's just isn't any evidence to support something like that. Literally zero evidence! People are crying even though the game literally drops you off on top of the dark helghast side of the wall, looking down over their city.

The reason they showed this colorful bright level is because such graphics sell. It's a gobsmack introduction, that's why they showed it. Dark muddy dreary trenches - NOT SO MUCH. ;)

...So yeah, the crying seems a little itty bit premature to me.

People have just pointed out what they saw and hope its not representative of the full game

Come on Grall, take a step back an cool down for a moment.

I said that I am hoping that this game also involves the gritty atmosphere...so we are d'accord on this to judge the game when it is released. Independent of this, the art style they showed does not fit in the KZ universe. From the first showing of KZ they went away from dark and gritty to colors. It is my opinion. It is subjective. I felt the same as Nesh when watching. You have to accept that there are different people on our planet with different opinions...opinions which might not be in agreement with yours, just please don't shout 'crybaby' when you don't agree.

People have just pointed out what they saw
It's been "a little" bit more than that I would say.

and hope its not representative of the full game
IMO I wouldn't mind for a second if it was. There's so many shooters with dark depressing graphics, anything id ever made, the entire Resistance series, on and on. I don't fear change if it's for the better.

I say it IS the same crybaby nonsense, because nobody has played this KZ yet outside of the devs and Sony themselves, all we know about the game is what they've shown, which is no more than the equivalent of a fragment of the first level from other shooting games and that's it. Now people with limited minds and imagination are extrapolating the bright and colorful environs of the introduction level to cover the entirety of the gameplay experience whilst loudly whingeing about the "change" in atmosphere, mood etc, and there's just isn't any evidence to support something like that. Literally zero evidence! People are crying even though the game literally drops you off on top of the dark helghast side of the wall, looking down over their city.

The reason they showed this colorful bright level is because such graphics sell. It's a gobsmack introduction, that's why they showed it. Dark muddy dreary trenches - NOT SO MUCH. ;)

...So yeah, the crying seems a little itty bit premature to me.

I know exactly why they changed the graphics and I know exactly why it looks more like Crysis than Killzone.

Buy you need to start qualifying your opinions with 'I think' because you're just acting like the rest of us should just agree with you.

Your complaining about our problems with the design are more disingenuous than our complaints themselves.

Frankly it is easy to tell if you started playing the series from the beginning or not. These are not new complaints for Killzone. They started mainly with Killzone 3, not with Shadow fall.

And keep in mind a lot of complaints don't rest with only colour. They rest just as much with narrative and gameplay. For example there is no secondary fire for most weapons anymore, not even in single player, which a lot of Killzone 1 fans sorely miss.

I don't really care what you specifically want from this series, but don't act like your opinion is somehow better just based on other shooters. You don't want a dark shooter, but some of us do. It doesn't make you right or wrong, and neither does it make us right or wrong, so don't act like it.

And for the record, I played Resistance from the beginning to and I like the dark atmosphere of that game as well. And I also play Halo and appreciate it's great art as well.

But since we're talking about a specific game series here, what I want from Killzone (and is completely independent from what you think is a good idea or what will sell, keep that in mind) is what I bought into at the beginning of the series. Just because what we want differs from what you want doesn't give you any authority that can say our opinions are legitimate or not.

If you don't want to understand that other fans can have a different opinion than you and you want to call it crybaby nonsense that's your problem and your problem alone buddy.

Please take out your aggression somewhere else. Saying we have "limited minds" because we disagree is despicable

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the very same crybaby nonsense.It's not taking place on wartorn Helghan anymore afterall. Destroying something pretty is more satisfying than wreaking havoc in a dump.

In your opinion. I guess no one likes Metro series now right? Or the wastelands of Fallout and Stalker.

You guys are awfully opinionated for people saying others can't have opinions.

I think it's an identity and expectation thing. Some negative reaction shouldn't be surprising. Art style is more noticeable than resolution and frame rate for many people.

You can do beautiful work in any color scheme. The issue is at a quick glance, KZ4 doesn't look much different from other games like BF and Crisis.

When Guerrilla Games made Killzone they talked a lot about the look of the game. How Vekta hadn't been colonised for that long so all the buildings had a very prefabricated look. And in Killzone 2 everything looks like a big dump with the exception of Radec Academy to show you where all the money went. That futuristic city in Killzone SF does look out of place compared to what we had before.

I'm pretty happy Killzone SF takes place 30 years after Killzone 3. Putting some distance between all the crappy characters and storyline from Killzone 3 and this. IMO Killzone 3 left the franchise in a bit of mess. If Killzone SF had to make some changes to the formula to get the series back into focus while also introducing some new ideas then I don't mind as long as it all works well together and makes for a great game.

^Exactly, to both of the above posts.

Killzone 3 really butchered a lot of the appeal of Killzone by pasting a horrible narrative with horrible characters on top of the world. And that's probably the main reason why I'm happy they are throwing the game 30 years into the future.

If GG decides to change a lot of Vekta for the sake of changing direction, I hope they still keep space for the murky Helghast environments on the other side of the wall. My hope is they will strike a balance between a light and dark affair.

But like was said about the 'prefabricated' appearance of Vekta, all of that is lost when Vekta looks like a metropolis and it takes away from the experience we bought into since the first game. Vekta's best looking areas looked like white washed bus stops in Killzone 1, so it's a bit of a shock to suddenly see holograms and mirror-sheen skyscrapers everywhere.

I think further into the future would have made it seem more plausible. Although that would raise the question of why it would have taken the Helghast so long to retaliate for the events of KZ2 and 3.

I know exactly why they changed the graphics and I know exactly why it looks more like Crysis than Killzone.
I'm gonna snip your raging because all of it sums up into "waaah, I don't wanna!"

What I'm saying is that you don't KNOW YET if the game is bright or dark, or colorful or dreary. You've seen a tiny snippet, and then you go completely overboard. Maybe wait until you actually know what tone the rest of the game (which will be the remaining 99+ percent) will have before you start frothing at the mouth, ok?

The introduction is bright and fluffy to set the tone of betrayal, to create a contrast. If the game was a dark hellhole right from the start there would be no contrast at all. There would essentially be no sense of betrayal.

Do you understand?

KILLZONE Shadow Fall (Playstation 4 Exclusive)

I liked Killzone 2, and I liked Killzone 3 a lot more. Neither had great storytelling though if you ask me. Each time I wondered if they wouldn't have been far better off hiring me, which is not something I felt when playing, say, Uncharted. I like the premise for KZ4 a lot, but I hope they manage to do better ...

I'm gonna snip your raging because all of it sums up into "waaah, I don't wanna!"

What I'm saying is that you don't KNOW YET if the game is bright or dark, or colorful or dreary. You've seen a tiny snippet, and then you go completely overboard. Maybe wait until you actually know what tone the rest of the game (which will be the remaining 99+ percent) will have before you start frothing at the mouth, ok?

The introduction is bright and fluffy to set the tone of betrayal, to create a contrast. If the game was a dark hellhole right from the start there would be no contrast at all. There would essentially be no sense of betrayal.

Do you understand?

I know that boss, get off the high horse. But you're not reading what we wrote at all.

Vekta already existed in past games, it's still a surprise and it's still a change. But you're too busy being an elitist so whatever. For some reason you're refusing to appreciate some of already have a connection with the series, and have our own reasons for liking it, but apparently you're already the designer of Killzone SF. Maybe you should read this:

Some negative reaction shouldn't be surprising.

And start understanding not everyone is asking for your elitist opinion.

If you're already convinced you're right, why bother entering the conversation? Just ignore us who are looking for something else, buy your own game, and enjoy it.

Take yourself away from the argument you're making a bit, and recognize it's just a little bit of opinion about a series we enjoy.

God forbid people ever ask questions, sheesh, everyone should be a yes-man and not choose what they want. What's the point of discussing if everyone gets their panties in a bunch just because someone else doesn't like the direction it's taking.

Notice how no one is attacking you for appreciating the art design, or why you think it could be a good thing for the series. Where did I say the juxtaposition would never happen? Do you just automatically assume no one else knows what juxtaposition means?

But you are attacking others, namely me, for wishing there was a different design choice made, or even saying we prefer a certain form of Killzone. Why are you equating admission of liking the dark gritty Killzone with a misunderstanding of narrative use of juxtaposition?

Notice how no one else is saying things like "you can't possibly be taking into consideration juxtaposition blah blah blah blah" except you? Maybe stop assuming everyone else is an idiot if they don't agree with you? How could other people possibly understand the intricacies of design if they disagree with you on this, right? Good one, boss.

You shouldn't be taking that much offense because someone is looking for something else in a game.

So take a step back from the argument and stop trampling other opinions, boss.

I liked Killzone 2, and I liked Killzone 3 a lot more. Neither had great storytelling though if you ask me. Each time I wondered if they wouldn't have been far better off hiring me, which is not something I felt when playing, say, Uncharted. I like the premise for KZ4 a lot, but I hope they manage to do better ...

But you're a fool for liking Killzone 3 more than Killzone 2, how could you possibly not understand the design choices in Killzone 2??? /anti-Grall

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot can happen in 30 years hence the change from killzone 1 vekta to killzone shadow fall.

Of course. But there's the possible problem. When the plot is so further into the future things can change so much that a franchise becomes unrecognizable. Sure there is a logic that in 30 years, technology may evolve immensely and the economy may see exponential growth to the point that the world becomes what we saw in the demo. But is it necessary to do that for the franchise?
I wonder how people would have reacted if GTA was set into a possible super futuristic Metropolis many years into the future.
If you get people to love your game for certain characteristics and then they are no longer part of it due to being set 30 years into the future, you basically take away things that people loved in the series. I am not saying that KZ SF is necessarily doing that, but there is a possibility.

I believe the characters were the worst offenders. I mean...come on! They sucked balls. It makes you wonder how on earth could they put so much work in everything but not be aware that the character designs and personalities were uninteresting with some of the worst lines ever.
I can understand a plot that is mediocre for such a game. But characters are those that are always with you during the whole game experience. They need better care.
I hated all of them. They were the typical smart ass, shouting, tough nut US marine chliche dudes
They should have taken hints from those CGI artists that made the infamous Killzone CGI trailer. Their art and acting was much more convincing
And yes the plot really needed some work too. It had so much potential

The Killzone 2 CGI from 2005 is the best example of a sequel I wanted from the original Killzone.

It keeps everything I remember liking from KZ1, and just amplifies it. I just wonder how they knew exactly what I wanted...

I prefer KZ3 for its online gameplay. Many people hated it but it allowed me to maximize my advantages in different roles. I had to think harder to counter the enemies' advantages throughout the session at the same time.

I like KZ2 for its polishness and incredible atmosphere. The maps, design, post processing are all exquisitely done. The slower and more elaborate animation were extra convincing. Fighting in heavy rain on the beach, or the sandy (blurry) desert is a very special experience.

I replayed KZ3 SP more because of 3D and Move.

For KZ4, I hope they focus more on gameplay ideas... Still hope to see KZ2's personality in KZ4 one way or another.

If they really want to do over-the-top villains, study Kojima and read more manga first. :p

They need a badass protagonist and antagonist, also less brown and dust, more variety in locations and scenery, since this is futuristic why not some space battles and also have some battles fought on a multitude of unique worlds.

They need a badass protagonist and antagonist, also less brown and dust, more variety in locations and scenery, since this is futuristic why not some space battles and also have some battles fought on a multitude of unique worlds.

Hm, maybe because it is Killzone...and not Halo?

More war zones, less corridor zones imo.

Just have huge sandbox levels, control over dropships, AA, tanks, troops, and let us manage the battle. 'RTS' zone :)

Back