News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always, most gamers haven't a clue about any of this crap. If the games look similar, I doubt they will care. Most of them don't sit at home praying platform x is more powerful than platform y cuz they need to have the bestest, that kind of stupidity is pretty much limited to forum warriors.

As always, most gamers haven't a clue about any of this crap. If the games look similar, I doubt they will care. Most of them don't sit at home praying platform x is more powerful than platform y cuz they need to have the bestest, that kind of stupidity is pretty much limited to forum warriors.

I can't agree more

Really? I have games going back over a decade that require online that are still working. Every single one of my Steam games still works.

I can see a publisher stopping a game as time goes on due to limited server resources. But Microsoft is heavily invested in the cloud, so server capacity for something as simple as game ownership verification is a non-issue.

Regards,
SB
I invite you to read up on the history of Microsoft online DRM music system, and also their management of the Hiptop's user data (both were, to some extent, the E&D division). This is Microsoft, they had unlimited resources, and unlimited money available, but as soon as it's not profitable they will shut it down. The goal isn't only to prevent used games in order to gain third party exclusives, the goal is planned obsolescence. My problem is with the planned obsolescence part, I don't care about the price, nor the used games. It's naive to assume they'll keep the servers up forever, considering their past actions.

Steam isn't by Microsoft, and your position is 100% relying on corporate trust. That trust is naive no matter what company we're speaking of. If it's not profitable anymore, of if they'll make more money selling you new games (think the Disney vault principle), they will shutdown the servers.

I also don't consider 10 years to be a long time, maybe it's just me. I have many books from the 70's and 80's which are my favorite ever, I'm also very glad I can show some animated films from the 90's to my (very young) niece and nephew, nothing recent comes close to them, they have a value to me that transcends time. I will still own many games from the 90's and 00's for the next 30 years. 10 years is a very short amount of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
And which part of their policy stops you from doing that? And don't claim the 24 hour check, it is a frakking _connected_ console, if you don't want to connect it, don't buy it.

For me, it allows me to play all my games on my second box, without having to find the disc. It looks like it allows me and my wife to play the same game at the same time, on different consoles. Something you cannot do today. I'm trying hard to find a downside, and the only thing I can come up with is that my old practice of giving away my old xboxes along with a bunch of games is going to be harder.

Of course it's a connected console, and in a way the Xbox 360 also was in a sense. But that's not what I meant.

Those plusses are good. But I just would feel more comfortable with the ability to play some of these games offline completely (Without a time limit) like I can do now with the Xbox 360. Due to the Xbox One's design infrastructure... That's clearly impossible.

But you're right, it's either a buy it or don't buy it decision from MS.

NOTE: I said some of these games. The obvious ones will be using some form of cloud computing which requires a always online connection for full potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
What, it's probably true - did Major Nelson admit the RROD issues or deny them?

Did he ever admit it was a flaw in their login system that allowed the FIFA hacks to run rampant for 18 month? Or did he consistently blamed users for getting phished until a victim discovered the problem that allowed brute force password cracking of Live accounts? That was quietly fixed days later after which account takeovers flatlined, and MS never took any responsibility.

I'm talking about current xbox owners, but yeah, if the overclock is true I don't know how many future Xbox owners there'll be that frequent online gaming fora.

I'm kinda half guessing PS4 will be the one downclocked and Xbone will stay at original clocks. About par for the course.

First no cores reserved now 2, first 512 MB RAM reserved now 3GB, and so forth.

Would be pretty hilarious though :LOL:

If I see anyone "protesting" outside a Gamestop like one GAFer suggested, they better be ready for a full on assault of their choices, character and priorities. The #firstworldproblems hashtag was invented for this meltdown. Gaming is not a right. Gaming is not important. Gaming is a culture slightly better than juggalos.

We have Steam, PSN, Xbox Live, Apple Appstore, Google Play already selling digital games that cannot be sold, rented, traded. Welcome to five years ago. Yes, it changes the value proposition. If you don't like it, don't buy it. You aren't losing anything. You aren't denied anything. Make a choice. You don't have to play games ... if you do, get help.

Next next generation will be digital only. This is the transition. What else are you expecting .

For me, it allows me to play all my games on my second box, without having to find the disc. It looks like it allows me and my wife to play the same game at the same time, on different consoles. Something you cannot do today. I'm trying hard to find a downside, and the only thing I can come up with is that my old practice of giving away my old xboxes along with a bunch of games is going to be harder.

You can do that on the PS3 with all DD games today.I guess with the XB1 all games are DD.

If I see anyone "protesting" outside a Gamestop like one GAFer suggested, they better be ready for a full on assault of their choices, character and priorities. The #firstworldproblems hashtag was invented for this meltdown. Gaming is not a right. Gaming is not important. Gaming is a culture slightly better than juggalos.

We have Steam, PSN, Xbox Live, Apple Appstore, Google Play already selling digital games that cannot be sold, rented, traded. Welcome to five years ago. Yes, it changes the value proposition. If you don't like it, don't buy it. You aren't losing anything. You aren't denied anything. Make a choice. You don't have to play games ... if you do, get help.

Next next generation will be digital only. This is the transition. What else are you expecting .
I'm sorry, the same thing could be argued about the burning of books. Reading books was a first world problem, nobody should care if we're burning books. Right?

Hey, if the kind of games you play have no more artistic value than cheap reality TV, I'm not going to stop you. But I played another game of Journey, and it definitely had value for anyone living, whether they have a lot of money or none at all. If that game was to disappear for business or political reasons, I'd be very angry. However I wouldn't feel a thing about the latest sports game or shooter.

First world problem my ass.

Triple OS and 24h check means to me that piracy is defeated forever on xbox.. This and cloud can make xbox the lead platform of development, in my honest opinion
It's a smart move from Microsoft

Nd. A lot of android devices doesn't need external apps to share internet connection, just go into setting and put tethering on.
I use it often on my nexus

This generation the 360 was hacked much earlier than the PS3 but that didn't impact which platform was used for lead development however we're supposed to believe that third parties are going to be so enamored by the cloud and coding to 3 different operating systems that regardless which system offers the best tools they will all lead with the XB1...

This generation the 360 was hacked much earlier than the PS3 but that didn't impact which platform was used for lead development however we're supposed to believe that third parties are going to be so enamored by the cloud and coding to 3 different operating systems that regardless which system offers the best tools they will all lead with the XB1...

MS constantly banned consoles that were hacked from live. IT was hugely expensive for them i'd imagine and it would still hit some games software sales.

I imagine that ms can offer them better deals than sony. But who knows

is your whole life built around looking for bad things about Microsoft? I've begun to wonder, is this your job?

Seriously, there seems to be a pattern here. All the discussion goes on in Durango threads. The PS4 threads aren't used much.

And that's mostly all the same group of posters who seem like it's literally their job to downplay and criticize everything MS does. Posting over, and over and over, and over and over, and over...

If some people what Microsoft is doing as wrong then I think they should have the right to criticise however they see fit within the rules of the forum. Some people seem to think that Microsoft has cocked up the entire thing and has done nearly nothing right, they should be allowed to voice there opinion.

I've seen nothing but positivity about everything Microsoft has done from you, its like its your job to post over and over and over how about everything they do is right and how all the positive rumours are correct and none of the negative ones are. People have a bias but I don't think they should really be called on it unless it goes majorly overboard (as it has in a couple cases here).

MS constantly banned consoles that were hacked from live. IT was hugely expensive for them i'd imagine and it would still hit some games software sales.

I imagine that ms can offer them better deals than sony. But who knows

If there tools are so much further behind Sony's as has been rumoured then I don't see a lot of places leading on the XB1 tbh, cloud or no cloud, DRM or no DRM. No reason to make your life harder.

I know one of my friends is pissed as all out doors right now.

No more LAN parties for him.

that part amazes me... how will MS handle tournaments and such? EA's Madden tournament has been all about 360 for 7 years now

Also can't LAN party people just be sure they are online when they leave and then they can take the machine and play for 24 hours at a LAN party?

let's not miss this paragraph either... this used game situation is for MS studios, 3rd parties are open to make their own deals...

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends.

also seems like game rentals are still on the table... (but the publishers want a no used/rental 90 day of new policy.)

Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

It's just getting so ridiculous though.

We get it, you guys hate Microsoft. Dont you think the normal thing would be to you know, buy the competing console and forget about it?

MS has screwed everything up? Like Sony isn't going to do the exact same things and we all know it? Like Steam doesn't already do them and it's the most beloved, sainted, service on the planet?

I guess I better shutup now and start using that ignore feature a lot more :D

Hating Microsoft's decisions does not mean hating Microsoft itself. It is possible to separate the two, a great deal of people on GAF where majorly disappointed and upset at Microsoft after the reveal and they were mainly Microsoft fans.

Also Steam is a weird case. For one it can be played in offline mode without a internet connection :) which makes it a bit different to XB1 phone home every 24 hours on your console or every 1 hour when playing a on a friends with your games.

Do you see me posting over and over and over in the (barely even used) PS4 threads? Like you camp the Xbone ones?

Didn't think so.

I dont say anything bad about MS? HAHA, what nonsense.

I have no probably pointing out where Microsoft boned up.

Just like how I think Sony boned up last generation.

Some people don't like being shown where there favourite company screwed up, it would help if they could remove there emotions from the equation.

CBOAT fired back when you were mentioned, bkilian,
Heh, amusing. I'm not trying to flush anyone out, I don't give a damn anymore, I haven't worked for MS for over six months. I'm just pointing out that everything they have said is game developer related, mostly EA. Even the so-called xenon leak was from a developer conference. That gives me zero confidence this person would know anything about chip yields. Anyone can claim yield problems, heck, Charlie from semi accurate was claiming yield problems, except he claimed it was an IBM fab (which it never was), and when he claimed it, they were still simulating the chip and had not fabbed it at all.

I'm sorry, the same thing could be argued about the burning of books. Reading books was a first world problem, nobody should care if we're burning books. Right?

Hey, if the kind of games you play have no more artistic value than cheap reality TV, I'm not going to stop you. But I played another game of Journey, and it definitely had value for anyone living, whether they have a lot of money or none at all. If that game was to disappear for business or political reasons, I'd be very angry. However I wouldn't feel a thing about the latest sports game or shooter.

First world problem my ass.

he's absolutely right.

trivial crap about a console, that is one of but many choices among even consoles, is just stunningly irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back