News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats all i know i promise :p very very vague stuff at best. but combine it with greenbergs tweet and i cant wait for the 21st.

the fact is no matter how much we can all think we know the vgleaks specs must be locked in, until the 21st hits you just have to wonder.

according to aaron greenberg's tweets E3 is where it's at, but they're going to show what they can next week. i'm expecting still some constraint on the info.

The 360 ran the majority of the OG xbox games at higher res. I don't see why the Durango couldn't. I'm going to assume we will see them release its a good revenue stream for ms

But they were not available for DD, right?
I do hope that we can have the majority of the OG Xbox library for download.

according to aaron greenberg's tweets E3 is where it's at, but they're going to show what they can next week. i'm expecting still some constraint on the info.

i've been following his tweets and i dont see where he really cautions this. if you have a specific tweet in mind you may link it.

i know he gave the marketing spiel that the story begins the 21st and ends at e3 in one tweet, but that's just vague/expected.

common sense would say they will have to save stuff for e3 i guess, but i've not seen any actual hints from ms that this event will be vastly limited in information.

yes I think the hold back for E3 will be games, reveal will be all about the machine, the OS and the vision. and a couple games to prove the point

Seems to be one hell of a lot of security to minimize leaks for basically what is being rumoured to be a 1.2TF console with v2 Kinect. I would imagine it's one of the reasons it's being kept on campus.

Are we missing something?

Seems to be one hell of a lot of security to minimize leaks for basically what is being rumoured to be a 1.2TF console with v2 Kinect. I would imagine it's one of the reasons it's being kept on campus.

Are we missing something?

That's what I've been thinking for a long time, MS' latest behavior only reinforces that. There's just TOO MUCH secrecy, especially if as some believe that they don't even intend to reveal any hardware specs. If that was the case they could have held the venue anywhere and been like, "Hey everybody, here's Kinectv2 blah, blah, blah. Motion capture, blah, blah, blah. Face recognition, blah, blah, blah. Thanks for coming, see you all at E3!"

But instead we have Microsoft still taking unusual steps to make sure absolutely no relevant information escapes the campus before the 21st. I don't know what it will be, but MS is certainly behaving like someone with a few surprises.

Anyway, Greenberg is still at it, and now THE TENT is tweeting on it's own. Hilarious! :LOL:

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/334512139832287233

https://twitter.com/XboxRevealTent

Last edited by a moderator:
And also the rumoured yield problems? I wouldn't have expected this to have been a problem with what is supposed to be fairly basic, comparatively low powered, pc architecture.

Xbox Reveal Tent on twitter???!??!

"and so goeth the life of a portable plastic housing structure. It's a glamorous yet transient existence. "

"Only if I get the risiduals. I have a litter of pup tents at home to feed"

"You know what they say... it's all fun and games until the tent starts tweeting"

"Time to curl up with some tent snacks and watch a movie. I have a crush on the 3rd tent from the right in #moonrisekingdom"

Oh, dont be so sure.

I heard another thing from a pseudo-insider today in my pm box at GAF. That's now two incredibly vague references from separate sources recently that something is up with the Durango hardware.

The words were along the lines of "Durango hardware should surprise, I can say nothing else sworn to secrecy"

hmm, the surprise part makes me wonder at even more than clocks/ram fiddling.

but you know "it's impossible" "wishful thinking" "VGleaks.com can't be wrong" "durango it's weaker. stop this now. period." etc

surprised that they are not jumped to bite your throat :rolleyes:

anyway, 6 days to internet meltdown

Again, it's not just VGLeaks, we've got confirmation from other sources that said the specs have not changed.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1702210&postcount=707

dated 2-4-13...

before the 8gb announcement by sony that i believed mandated a durango upgrade in ms view...

from a dev, at a 3rd party, in who-knows-how-frequent contact with who-knows-how-dated durango dev kits. who was apparently chastised and no longer speaks a word about next gen in months.

look dont freak out people, if you chose to disregard rumor, do so. so far as physical evidence i have two extremely vague pm's from gaffers i dont know as reliable (although they are typically in the rumor crew) and greenberg's tweet...

in fact todays pm apparently didn't know if "his sources info checks out". it sounded to me like this is the first this source has told him rather than a known reliable source (though it also sounded like at least the source must have had some reason to seem credible, eg a detailed story etc). about all else i can say is that both pm's are from regulars in the gaf spec threads, at least one of the regulars seeming reliable and the other not well, unreliable to my knowledge.

anyways the thread title IS called durango news and rumors, right?

dated 2-4-13...

before the 8gb announcement by sony that i believed mandated a durango upgrade in ms view...

nobody cares about the topic, let them discuss about price and if they will buy or not an Xbox, any rumors that came from different source than vgleaks.com don't deserve any attention

Anyway the throat they bites is again mine. Sorry if I don't answer to personal provocation to "Xenio" :rolleyes:

dated 2-4-13...

from a dev, at a 3rd party, in who-knows-how-frequent contact with durango dev kits.

look dont freak out people, if you chose to disregard rumor, do so. so far as physical evidence i have two extremely vague pm's from gaffers i dont know as reliable (although they are typically in the rumor crew) and greenberg's tweet...

in fact todays pm apparently didn't know if "his sources info checks out". it sounded to me like this is the first this source has told him rather than a known reliable source (though it also sounded like at least the source must have had some reason to seem credible, eg a detailed story etc)

Of course, but i just wanted to make clear that VGLeaks is not the only source.

But just to make my point clear. I don't care if durango is weaker or stronger, it's not going to make a difference when 90% of games will be multiplatform titles. I'm far more interested on the services they'll be providing us with, and how the platform is going to be connected with the rest of my devices.

BTW If on 21st i'm proved to be wrong, then Durango specs will be one of the best keep secrets of all time, with one of a hell disinformation campaing. I'll really praise MS if that were to happend next week.

dated 2-4-13...

How likely is it they responded to 8gb as opposed to something that actually matters such as the gpu being a big step above them? If we believe the rumours of course.

In my opinion ms would not react to such a thing as it makes absolutely no difference. If ps4 came out with 4gb that would've been a win for the xbox but both having 8 makes no difference either way.

Sure ps4 has greater bandwidth across the whole 8gb but ms have engineered around their limitation so I doubt it will make that much difference.

dated 2-4-13...

The problem I have with this rumour discussion is people appear to be siding one way or the other without trying to connect the dots and make a coherent interpretation of the information. With all rumours, some are true and some are false. Everyone appreciates that, but uses this understanding to support their POV with a disregard for rumours they don't like the sound of rather than to treat all rumours with the same suspicion until backed with decent evidence.

What we know, as much as we've ever known about any console hardware prior to release, is that Durango was an 8 GB, 16 x86 core, 12 CU GPU + 32 MB eSRAM design with memory move engines and an audio DSP block as of February. Regardless of what rumours predate that saying Durango was a monster or it's based on GDDR5 or its more powerful than Orbis (now a known quantity), we know what Durango was a few months ago. That's not somone's guess, but the actual design. Ergo we can use that as a very solid point of reference. A rumour that says, "MS was planning GDDR5 since the very beginning" doesn't fit in with this reference point, so is implausible. A rumour that says there's a second APU is also extremely implausible as that's not what developers have been told. A rumour that says the clocks have increased is far more likely. We can consider MS may have made some knee-jerk response to Orbis, like looking fora way to up the RAM, but it surely has to tie in with the machine they already had. It's not possible to start again from scratch this late, and there are only so many changes of varying difficulty that could be made to the existing Durango design this late in its development, unless MS postpone massively.

If everyone discussing the rumours was comfortable with the known quantity from February, instead of some parties dismissing it out of hand as 'VGLeaks', then the whole investigation could take on a far more productive structure.

BTW If on 21st i'm proved to be wrong, then Durango specs will be one of the best keep secrets of all time, with one of a hell disinformation campaing. I'll really praise MS if that were to happend next week.

I'm not expecting a major revamp. Clock/RAM fiddling was all I ever proposed...

The Durango hardware and surprise PM just makes me wonder a little bit.

I think all of us are flying a little blind here, and even the people swearing it's too late for major upgrades must have a little doubt, simply because we havent heard anything really in months.

It would seem imo at least the whole ESRAM-based mem architecture must be a lock. And the Jaguars...Now I'm wondering if there's any possibility of a super late glomming on of CU's...but that's total wild speculation

if they are going to have semi-complete Durango hardware, in workstations, at the event as it seemed, that would seem to limit a lot of things and indicate hardware is finalized (which doesn't preclude clocks/RAM beforehand though). The PS4/720 hardware must be really near final now because I think production steps must begin soon. It is nearly june.

The Durango hardware and surprise PM just makes me wonder a little bit.

I think all of us are flying a little blind here, and even the people swearing it's too late for major upgrades must have a little doubt, simply because we havent heard anything really in months.

It would seem imo at least the whole ESRAM-based mem architecture must be a lock. And the Jaguars...Now I'm wondering if there's any possibility of a super late glomming on of CU's...but that's total wild speculation

if they are going to have semi-complete Durango hardware, in workstations, at the event as it seemed, that would seem to limit a lot of things and indicate hardware is finalized (which doesn't preclude clocks/RAM beforehand though). The PS4/720 hardware must be really near final now because I think production steps must begin soon. It is nearly june.
Microsoft does have a track record of making huge turnarounds at the last minute, like they did in windows 95. If it were me, and I were in this position, and I wanted to make sure my console were the most powerful, and I was pressed for time, I would double up on the APU. Changing the motherboard design is a much smaller and well understood problem than redesigning an APU at the last minute. It also allows game developers, if they have designed their game well, to update to the new design with minimal issues.

But that's pure speculation on my part, I have not even spoken to any of my old coworkers since I left, and even if I had, we would not have discussed stuff like this.

me too. 1 GHz on gpu gives more than 1,6 TF and this is a trivial frequency for a 12 GCN CU from AMD, as the desktop parts demostrates.
Anyway, about the major hardware surprise, I don't think that could be the up-clock on gpu, It's no so "big" in my POV, and no, I think that the number of CU can't change at all. if they were 12, they will stay 12;

I would double up on the APU. Changing the motherboard design is a much smaller and well understood problem than redesigning an APU at the last minute. It also allows game developers, if they have designed their game well, to update to the new design with minimal issues.

[joke]
At the reveal event Don Matrick says "sorry but sony's APU is stronger than our apu. 1,8 TF vs 1,2.." [people mumbles]
then "But each xbox have two APU's." [internet forums meltdown]
[/joke]

If it were me, and I were in this position, and I wanted to make sure my console were the most powerful, and I was pressed for time, I would double up on the APU. Changing the motherboard design is a much smaller and well understood problem than redesigning an APU at the last minute.
If we all agree that it's probably too late for any modification to the SoC, how could they connect two of them together?
They would need an external multi-processor bus, so they would have planned to have more than one APU from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back