News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they already delayed the event a month it's hard to call it "rushed". Originally this was supposed to take place April 24.

Yup. Rushing to reveal before E3 is what I mean, and figuratively in time of course.. which means no time for a Kinect like reveal. Not like, damn, get on the phone yesterday and order that tent pronto from Al's Tent shop.

Yup. Rushing to reveal before E3 is what I mean, and figuratively in time of course.. which means no time for a Kinect like reveal. Not like, damn, get on the phone yesterday and order that tent pronto from Al's Tent shop.

Yeah. I felt like the PS4 event felt pretty rushed too.

More or less everything in video games feels like it's basically pushed out the door at the last second. It's just the way of the business, sometimes annoyingly so. If companies like Nintendo, Valve and Id could take 15 years to make a game, they would (and Valve might with Half Life 3)

I am sure Sony and Microsoft dont feel like 720/PS4 is in the state they'd like to show, but they have too.

Yeah. I felt like the PS4 event felt pretty rushed too.

More or less everything in video games feels like it's basically pushed out the door at the last second. It's just the way of the business, sometimes annoyingly so. If companies like Nintendo, Valve and Id could take 15 years to make a game, they would (and Valve might with Half Life 3)

I am sure Sony and Microsoft dont feel like 720/PS4 is in the state they'd like to show, but they have too.

Yep, these are just pre-reveal-reveals. Come E3 I hope both are ready to have all their cards on the table.

I just hope they actually show the hardware and they reveal the specs. They should, especially when Major Nelson poked a little fun at Sony for not showing the PS4.

The only thing i care about are the specs - it's the defining factor for me.
I don't care at all about the looks of the console , it's just a shell after all .

but, ms makes 6 billion dollars profit every single quarter. shame they didn't splurge on a few more cu's #lol

Well , we're going to vote with our wallet ;)

I don't care at all about the looks of the console , it's just a shell after all .

sounds like you already have made up your mind, thanks for stopping by the Xbox thread though

Specs aren't the only thing .

If Kinect 2 is a big leap over Kinect that could be a selling point .

IF xbox live evolves and they are able to replicate the gap that existed between xbox live and psn in 2006 that would be a selling point.

Then of course are the games. There are certain exclusives that may make me want either system over the other.

Heck even a rift type head set would be a selling point over the other console .

sounds like you already have made up your mind, thanks for stopping by the Xbox thread though

Nah , haven't made up anything , i'm staying open to surprises .

Specs aren't the only thing .

If Kinect 2 is a big leap over Kinect that could be a selling point .

Kinect 2 isn't for everyone and i don't want it forced on me.

Then of course are the games. There are certain exclusives that may make me want either system over the other.

Yes , this is true .

I also think this event is rushed. In a tent or whatever does not matter much. How the console looks neither, reliability and no overheating is minimum requirements though. I think it is good to talk before E3 to create some excitment. I think I already know what to expect so really can't be disappointed. But I hope they prove me wrong.

I also think this event is rushed. In a tent or whatever does not matter much. How the console looks neither, reliability and no overheating is minimum requirements though. I think it is good to talk before E3 to create some excitment. I think I already know what to expect so really can't be disappointed. But I hope they prove me wrong.

sure

Nah , haven't made up anything , i'm staying open to surprises .

Kinect 2 isn't for everyone and i don't want it forced on me.

Yes , this is true .

Interesting thinking about Kinect 2. What if the ps eye thing ships also inside the ps4 ? Would that be forced on you too or would that be okay ?

Wouldn't not having the console indicate the show being a rush job ? THe sony event had no console, it was all pcs. If ms actually has a working console even if it over heats , that puts them ahead of the game in terms of showing.

Something came to my mind.
Over at Neogaf, they had some Xbox Nostalgia thread where they were talking and posting screens and such from the OG Xbox.

And it made me think about what Durango can do or what the possibilities are for Durango to be able to run those games, now that it will be powered by the same architecture as OG Xbox was.

What are the chances that we will have the possibility to download OG Xbox games on Durango? There were some games for download on 360 but why not have the whole library up for download? (or as much as possible).

One thing that is a bit sad when new generation is arriving is that we "forget" about games that came out 2 generations ago (or even further). I would like to revisit stuff like Rallisport2, Ninja Gaiden, Crimson skies etc...

So, would Durangos similar architecture (X86 or X64 or whatever it will be) allow MS to put up the OG Xbox library for download?

I mean, with music you can use services as Spotify and hace access to lots of older music, why are videogames so restricted with older software?

Interesting thinking about Kinect 2. What if the ps eye thing ships also inside the ps4 ? Would that be forced on you too or would that be okay ?

I feel exactly the same about ps eye , don't want it at all.
The only difference is that it seems that Kinect subtracts for gaming hardware .
(based on rumors , obviously... )

no surprises, no secret sauce, all is known and it is less powerful so those for whom power is everything, you can make up your mind now.

Oh, dont be so sure.

I heard another thing from a pseudo-insider today in my pm box at GAF. That's now two incredibly vague references from separate sources recently that something is up with the Durango hardware.

The words were along the lines of "Durango hardware should surprise, I can say nothing else sworn to secrecy"

hmm, the surprise part makes me wonder at even more than clocks/ram fiddling.

Oh, dont be so sure.

I heard another thing from a pseudo-insider today in my pm box at GAF. That's now two incredibly vague references from separate sources recently that something is up with the Durango hardware.

The words were along the lines of "Durango hardware should surprise, I can say nothing else sworn to secrecy"

hmm, the surprise part makes me wonder at even more than clocks/ram fiddling.

oh you , get that fan away from the flames. ;)

tell us more. :)

thats all i know i promise :p very very vague stuff at best. but combine it with greenbergs tweet and i cant wait for the 21st.

the fact is no matter how much we can all think we know the vgleaks specs must be locked in, until the 21st hits you just have to wonder.

"Durango hardware should surprise

ok so could that be something that we don't know, have not heard or a rumor we have dismissed or either?

sounds like we will be surprised by not knowing, expecting rather than say 360 SoC built in *which technically would be an upgrade as it could be used possibly to run Kinect or OS on 720 mode instead of hardware reserve?

or smoke up our ass :p

Something came to my mind.
Over at Neogaf, they had some Xbox Nostalgia thread where they were talking and posting screens and such from the OG Xbox.

And it made me think about what Durango can do or what the possibilities are for Durango to be able to run those games, now that it will be powered by the same architecture as OG Xbox was.

What are the chances that we will have the possibility to download OG Xbox games on Durango? There were some games for download on 360 but why not have the whole library up for download? (or as much as possible).

One thing that is a bit sad when new generation is arriving is that we "forget" about games that came out 2 generations ago (or even further). I would like to revisit stuff like Rallisport2, Ninja Gaiden, Crimson skies etc...

So, would Durangos similar architecture (X86 or X64 or whatever it will be) allow MS to put up the OG Xbox library for download?

I mean, with music you can use services as Spotify and hace access to lots of older music, why are videogames so restricted with older software?

The 360 ran the majority of the OG xbox games at higher res. I don't see why the Durango couldn't. I'm going to assume we will see them release its a good revenue stream for ms

I feel exactly the same about ps eye , don't want it at all.
The only difference is that it seems that Kinect subtracts for gaming hardware .
(based on rumors , obviously... )

anything added to the BOM subtracts from gaming hardware. The touch surface on the new ps controllers along with the light built into it will detract from the specs of the console. If ps eye is included in every ps4 then that too would have added to the BOM that had to be reduced from some where else.

Even the size of the console would reduce the money going into the cpu/gpu specs of the hardware. A bigger console will cost more money to package and ship and thus less money spent else where.

Whats important is the benefits these products can bring to the table . It will be interesting to see what this generation holds for motion control.

Last edited by a moderator:
or smoke up our ass :p

Well, this smoke up our ass network of neogaffers/b3d'ers was nailing the key PS4/720 specs WEEKS before they were on vgleaks or anywhere else...

By the time vgleaks put their stuff up, the PS4/720 basic specs (minus the 8GB of RAM shocker of course) had been floating around in their entirety for WEEKS. All Vgleaks was was confirmation, details, and a pretty bow on it.

The 8GB PS4 RAM upgrade was also rumored before, even if people like me dismissed it. And that was as secret as secret gets apparently (since it was later claimed even third parties did not know until Sony's event)

i think it's fair to say the neogaf/b3d network were literally the first people putting next gen console specs up on the net (as far as i know). it's not an exaggeration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back