News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if $499 included 2 years of live? Because if you look at the suggested pricing it was $299 + $10 a month over 2 years with live, that's $549. $499 without live would be quite a bit more money which doesn't make sense.

Actually that makes a lot of sense. Gold membership is only used by a fragment of the 360 users and is a goldmine for MS. Now imagine if every 360 owner purchased 2 years worth of gold membership either through console purchase or sub. That would of been worth $7.7 billion.

It's likely none. I wish people would stop saying Kinect is super expensive it's just not reasonable. It's probably 30-40 TOPS BOM. You can get a Kinect at Wal Mart all day for $89. Plus they're taking the motor out of the next gen Kinect which is surely one of the largest costs.

The new controller is the same as the old except "slightly smaller" according to rumor. There is no screen or anything.

My logical opinion IF this 499 is even true (and again that ignores multiple SKU price points) is simply MS has a new philosophy, per bkilians hints, and simply by and large doesn't want to lose money on hardware anymore. Rather than MS subsidizing it to the tune of maybe $100 like 360 at launch, you would be paying the real cost for Durango. In other words yes, greed. Do I agree with such a penny pinching strategy for a company that rakes in $6 billion profits quarter after quarter? Heck no.

So, you don't want to pay the actual price of the good you're buying, but they're the ones that are greedy? Selling goods to break even or turn any kind of a profit is greedy and penny pinching?

What if $499 included 2 years of live? Because if you look at the suggested pricing it was $299 + $10 a month over 2 years with live, that's $549. $499 without live would be quite a bit more money which doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense. They want people to use the $299 with locked in 2 years. It gives MS a lower sticker price and gets the buyer hooked in to XBL gold, which they hope those people will continue with willingly or forget to cancel the auto subscription in two years. MS know the difference between owning a console and investing in an ecosystem.

Paul Thurott on next Xbox...

http://windowsitpro.com/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/here-comes-next-xbox

Nice summary of what we already knew, but it's another source that Xbox TV is most likely dead.

Tommy McClain

If the pricing is true...

Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console: a standalone version for $499 and a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.

Who in the world would buy a 499 USD Xbox if they have even a minor interest in Xbox Live Gold?

At non-discounted Gold card prices that's 619 USD versus 539 USD over the course of 2 years. Even at discounted gold card prices (say 40 USD) that's 579 USD versus 539 USD.

At that point, smart shoppers would look at it and figure out that "if" they ever wanted to use Gold even though they weren't thinking of getting gold, that 299 Xbox would come out to be a better deal.

So during the first 2 years, Microsoft would take a minor hit in profits but if the customer gets hooked on the Gold services, then that leads to a potential lifetime boost in profits after those initial 2 years.

Or...

The 499 USD SKU is just there to give the Xbox a "premium" halo at a price that might be unattractive to the majority of consumers. Then you hit them with the 299 USD SKU and suddenly people feel like they are getting a bargain. The same sorts of people that look at carrier subsidized mobile phones and think they are getting a bargain.

And...

You get those people that are unwilling or unable to plonk down 499 USD on a single purchase, but feel comfortable spending a bit less upfront with a small monthly payment.

Either way it's a potentially brilliant move. Especially if part of the marketing in retail stores is to highlight the services available to Xbox Gold members.

Regards,
SB

This sounds weird?!? Assuming this rumor has anything to do with reality: So what are the actual real costs to run Xbox Live per user? Less than...40$/2 years = 1.7$/month?

actually if you have a subscripton model then I assume the only online has to be true.

At LEAST for the subsidized model. How else would they ensure you continue to pay? No pay, no play as your live connection is severed. Like subsidized cell phone contracts.

all makes sense. maybe if you buy the full price model it plays offline?

actually if you have a subscripton model then I assume the only online has to be true.

At LEAST for the subsidized model. How else would they ensure you continue to pay? No pay, no play as your live connection is severed.

all makes sense. maybe if you buy the full price model it plays offline?

This is what I'm starting to think as well. You'll probably be paying for the privilege to be able to play offline. This might be how they solve the issue where some territories have inconsistent Internet service: they won't be selling the subsidized model there.

Tommy McClain

This is what I'm starting to think as well. You'll probably be paying for the privilege to be able to play offline. This might be how they solve the issue where some territories have inconsistent Internet service: they won't be selling the subsidized model there.

Tommy McClain

I hope something like this, internet required for subsidized model, well, Xbox Live connection required.

If the pricing is true...

Who in the world would buy a 499 USD Xbox if they have even a minor interest in Xbox Live Gold?

Still not sure. If it's true, the $299 is a much more appealing product for sure. Just not sure I want to use my credit on it. If I can pay more & not use credit then great, but even $500 is a bit much unless it has Live included. Over the years I've usually paid for 12 months of Live at a time with discounts, some times just 3 month cards. I did this when it was convenient for me. Being forced to make a payment every month at the same time for 2 years is not really appealing to me. One of the reasons I don't have a credit card or a car payment for the past 10 years. Only thing I have on credit now is my house. I sure hope the May 21 event talks about price, but I have a feeling we won't hear price there or even at E3. They will likely wait until August like they did with the original 360 or in September like Nintendo did with the Wii U.

Tommy McClain

This sounds weird?!? Assuming this rumor has anything to do with reality: So what are the actual real costs to run Xbox Live per user? Less than...40$/2 years = 1.7$/month?

I used 40 USD per year not per 2 years for your average discount Xbox Live Gold card. Retailers and resellers still make a profit off of that so Microsoft certainly gets less then 40 USD per Live Gold card sold at retail (they get the full share if people sign up for the online subscription though which generally isn't discounted).

We'll never know the costs for Microsoft in order to support both Xbox Live Gold and Silver levels.

Regards,
SB

Still not sure. If it's true, the $299 is a much more appealing product for sure. Just not sure I want to use my credit on it. If I can pay more & not use credit then great, but even $500 is a bit much unless it has Live included. Over the years I've usually paid for 12 months of Live at a time with discounts, some times just 3 month cards. I did this when it was convenient for me. Being forced to make a payment every month at the same time for 2 years is not really appealing to me. One of the reasons I don't have a credit card or a car payment for the past 10 years. Only thing I have on credit now is my house. I sure hope the May 21 event talks about price, but I have a feeling we won't hear price there or even at E3. They will likely wait until August like they did with the original 360 or in September like Nintendo did with the Wii U.

Tommy McClain

Yup, I'm the same way. I haven't bought anything on credit or taken out a loan or mortgage in over a decade now. 2001 was the last time I got something on credit, IIRC.

I don't, however, mind making monthly payments. I have to do that for phone, electricity, internet, etc. anyway.

If I went for the 299 subsidized model, I'd definitely have to remind myself to cancel the Xbox Gold service at the end of the 2 years however so that I could then transition back to discounted Gold cards. I'm betting the Microsoft is hoping that most people won't bother to cancel the automatic billing service for Xbox Gold which will net them much more money than if people were using Gold cards.

Regards,
SB

From Polygon:

Sources tell Polygon that the current version of the next-gen console includes a next-gen approach to video sharing, anti-piracy protection, social networking and a massive expansion of the Xbox 360's popular achievement system.
Microsoft is also trying to come up with a system for video sharing though all of the details are still being locked down. According to our sources, currently the next Xbox will capture your gameplay as if it were a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. That function can be turned on or off, or a player can set up the console to automatically capture a recording when certain in-game events occur, like a headshot or collecting a specific achievement. Auto capturing those "magic moments" will be a feature only available on next-gen games.
Those videos can then be uploaded directly from the console to social sites, like YouTube, for sharing.
The next Xbox will allow publishers to decide if their games should require an internet connection to be played.
With the next Xbox, developers and publishers will be able to add more achievements to a game after launch, without the need to add DLC. This is designed specifically to allow developers to tweak player behavior, perhaps urging players to check out specific areas of a game or get past a difficult spot. Next-gen achievements can also be tied to broader events, like a weekend challenge or a communal goal, like contributing a set number of kills to the bigger goal of 10,000 kills over one weekend.
The next-generation Live won't have a cap on the number of friends a person can have. The way players add friends will also change. Now instead of it being a two-way friendship only, people can choose to follow one another, sort of like Twitter.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/4268782/next-xbox-drm-achievements-live

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding more achievments seems like it could be something that can be handled by periodic queries to servers.
I think I'd personally find it annoying. I like my satisfaction with having 100% to stay that way.

The proposed scenario where devs don't like how people are playing their game and add achievments to prod players sounds a little naggy.

$499. Pay4Play Online. And all they could muster is a $99 GPU. As Nelson says, "Ha ha."

As i see it the $299 price tag is the one the console should carry based on its specs even without xbox live $10 a month fee.

As i see it MS is purposely inflating the price of the unit,so that people bite into xbox live obligatory,think about it it makes no sense to sell the 720 subsidized with a $10 dollar a month fee,if the unit without live actually cost $500 stand alone without xbox live,why would MS do that to get back just $40 dollars over the non live unit.

My 2cent the units should have go for $350 tops,the GPU inside the 720 (by leaks) doesn't stand close to the Xenos in power equivalent to what the 360 had back then compare to PC,and still there was a $299 xbox 360 on 2005.

Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement. That will be both to support the suite of non-gaming entertainment applications that will be launched alongside the console, like streaming video services, but also as a possible anti-piracy tool. Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

The fact that offline gameplay, always online and one-time checks are supported, means that in the future, publishers will have much greater control over copyright protection for their games.

Is this like on PS4?

Who will be so bold!?

I'd imagine quite a few.

Anyone wanting to bring an MMO to the console, for example. That's the most obvious case.

Anyone wanting to have a single player game experience that can drastically change at any momemt is a non-obvious case.

Anyone wanting a game that is server/client based such that game balance and AI bug fixes, etc. could be changed/fixed at any moment without requiring the user to download a patch because all changes are server side only is another non-obvious case.

In that case, an RPG could introduce daily/weekly/monthly quests on the server without requiring the client (player) to download anything as long as no art assets were added or changed. Difficulty could then also be dynamically adjusted at the server for single players or all players based on how all connected players were doing.

Imagine a Police detective type of game where you have to research things in game online. Only that the stuff you have to research changes constantly each time you play. In addition when research the data for the case in game, you're actually accessing real internet information to do it. So instead of being limited by how much data can be fit onto the optical disk and hard drive, you can include any and all information available on the internet. Say you have to research some historical figure to solve a crime. Instead of the tiny bit of information games typically include for such things you can access a computer terminal in game which then allows you to research anything on the actual internet about said historical personality.

Your game world could then theoretically have more content than could fit onto 1, 2, 3, or more BluRay disks as long as the major art assets reside on the console. Although this would require a revolution in game design, as the majority of the size of a game install is art assets, sound, and video.

The possibilities are endless for game enhancing features that require a player to always be connected.

And, of course, any publisher that is worried that said console might get hacked and the game thusly get pirated. Or a developer making an multiplatform game that wants to make the PC version as difficult to pirate as possible would necessitate the console version also being that way (IE - client/server based game with as much stuff done and hosted on the server as possible).

Regards,
SB

Launch high, drop quickly.
In my layperson's view, that would just do them (a lot) more harm than good; first it would majorly tick off those people who paid premium price if there's a rapid price drop, and that would not be a good thing to do, seeing as those people would be your core followers. Second, it would make your product look unattractive or even failing, needing a rapid price cut. Wuu's reputation took it right on the chin when some chains voluntarily dropped price just a few months after launch - although the wuu is probably a much better example of an actually failing product than a durango with a fast price cut would be. ;)

The more I read in this thread the less interested in X720 I become. If PS4 launches cheaper and is more powerful there's little reason for me to purchase the new MS console. If always online ends up a requirement for the majority of games that's even further reason not to buy the console and means MS doesn't give a shit about me as a consumer.

I can understand a $499 price tag if it is the highest tiered model of the console, considering the inflation we've had since 2005 and $500 seems about right. It depends on all the extra goodies thrown in. If they wish to make Kinect standard out of the box then they shouldn't expect me as a consumer to pay extra for that, even in the core system, if it's not something I'm fully interested in. I can understand MS wants this machine to be the center of entertainment in a home, especially the living room, but if they force me to spend more on it despite the only functionality that I require from it (GAMING) for extra features then again they're losing me as a consumer. All those things could be thrown in for extra, or not.

The more I read in this thread the less interested in X720 I become. If PS4 launches cheaper and is more powerful there's little reason for me to purchase the new MS console. If always online ends up a requirement for the majority of games that's even further reason not to buy the console and means MS doesn't give a shit about me as a consumer.

I can understand a $499 price tag if it is the highest tiered model of the console, considering the inflation we've had since 2005 and $500 seems about right. It depends on all the extra goodies thrown in. If they wish to make Kinect standard out of the box then they shouldn't expect me as a consumer to pay extra for that, even in the core system, if it's not something I'm fully interested in. I can understand MS wants this machine to be the center of entertainment in a home, especially the living room, but if they force me to spend more on it despite the only functionality that I require from it (GAMING) for extra features then again they're losing me as a consumer. All those things could be thrown in for extra, or not.

Any publisher that requires always online for their game on Durango will likely require always online for their game on PS4. I really don't see how it could be different.

If Sony requires that all games can be played offline then there will just end up being games that exist on Durango that don't exist on PS4.

You do also realize that there are games on PS3 that require an always online connection? So it isn't like Sony will prevent publishers from releasing games that require always online on PS4.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back