News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can it be a Durango DevKit?

BF1Gf7yCYAATq38.jpg

From the Tequila Works twitter:

"New hardware. When we manage to make it work it will be amazing"

Maybe it is a PS4 or even a SteamBox Devkit, but they have worked with MS before.

Mini ITX with a full size card, so actually it ends up being a beefy small box. (just built something similar for my son) OT: I just don't see the SB being this big.

It does appear to be always connected though! ;p

This thread is going to be so archaic to read in 5 years. Reminds me of the fears on xbox360 being online even while playing single player and the fears/anxiety that caused. Yet when is was all said and done achievements were a big drive to new xbox live subscribers for boasting XP scores, atleast early this generation. The ability to still be part of a community while playing single player was huge and we take it for granted now.

I get the feeling the level of interactivity MS is planning with Durango-Kinect2 will be groundbreaking as well. If MS integrates this like I think they are planning and can come in at $100 cheaper than PS4, with 3rd party games of near equal quality. They will win a lot of mainstream shoppers. Not to mention future VR addons using Kinect tracking, setting up xbox 1440 to be VR mandatory builtin. We are in for a good gaming future.

could not have said it better

for people that allegedly love technology, we seem awfully fearful. It's not like MS is going to break laws with their machine.:rolleyes:

... this will be a groundbreaking first step toward ubiquitous gaming, media, communication and one day total home interactivity.

I too will bookmark this thread and we can all have a laugh in 5 years. :LOL:

BF1Gf7yCYAATq38.jpg

Maybe it is a PS4 or even a SteamBox Devkit, but they have worked with MS before.

I wonder what that sticker in the back says. Doesn't look like a clean enough photo to do a good zoom in.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is obviously better, and I'm not saying otherwise. But the original remark by scently was:
Hardknock disagreed, and you replied to him saying:
Hence you were arguing in favour of scently's position, even if you didn't mean to because you were replying to Hardknock without being sure of his train of thought as connected to the source. Thus I felt it worth pointing out that "almost immediately" isn't realistic. An hour's wait is probably more accurate. It'll certainly be much better than this gen which required full downloads.

True. I misunderstood Hardknock's objection to scently's post.

If your on a slow connection, buy the disc and do an install.

In the rest of the world, where 10Mbit/s DSL is the bare minimum, DD is going to be very convenient.

Cheers

Having 10Mbps internet connection doesn't guarantee you 10Mbps from any server. I have a 100Mbps download connection and I have a hard time hitting 1MB/s through any console and I can think of numerous examples in 2013 where some big fat company didn't provide sufficient download speeds and numerous players were left trying to patch some file. (hint sim *cough* city)

BF1Gf7yCYAATq38.jpg

That looks really small compared to devkits of old. Also, it looks super boring. They need to announce this thing already so developers can get final devkits.

That looks really small compared to devkits of old. Also, it looks super boring. They need to announce this thing already so developers can get final devkits.

Huh? I dont understand any part of this post lol.

It does look fairly svelte by dev kit standards, not sure if that's good or bad. Good: might imply they're fairly far along in getting it shrunk into a final retail box. Bad: might imply it's not teh supah powafu.

But I'm not aware of any dev kit that looks "exciting" lol. Nor what announcing anything has to do with final dev kits.

Huh? I dont understand any part of this post lol.

It does look fairly svelte by dev kit standards, not sure if that's good or bad. Good: might imply they're fairly far along in getting it shrunk into a final retail box. Bad: might imply it's not teh supah powafu.

But I'm not aware of any dev kit that looks "exciting" lol. Nor what announcing anything has to do with final dev kits.

Devkits of old used to be cooler, at least the Microsoft ones were: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=514549

BF1Gf7yCYAATq38.jpg

Maybe it is a PS4 or even a SteamBox Devkit, but they have worked with MS before

That's just a mini ITX case from Fractal Design. I actually have one, it's the Fractal Design Node 304. Maybe I need to double check mine to see if there's some super hidden dev kit hidden in there as well.... :p

Node304_front-angled-view_lores.jpg

Doesn't mean it may not contain a Durango dev kit. Of course, doesn't mean it does either.

A couple people on GAF, notably lherre, have possibly intimated it's real.

Yeah, no of course. I guess I just think it's unlikely that Microsoft (or any other console vendor) would in fact go for a mass produced mini ITX case (that's actually in the category of mass-storage case, since its primary feature is that it can hold 6 3.5" harddrives). Just doesn't seem like it ticks the boxes of console dev kit...

Having 10Mbps internet connection doesn't guarantee you 10Mbps from any server. I have a 100Mbps download connection and I have a hard time hitting 1MB/s through any console and I can think of numerous examples in 2013 where some big fat company didn't provide sufficient download speeds and numerous players were left trying to patch some file. (hint sim *cough* city)

Are you arguing that console vendors won't supply the infrastructure to support their DD plan ?

I never ever go below 2.5MB/s when getting things from live (demos, videos and patches), and regularly hits 4MB/s.

Cheers

It's a box, take out the drive cages and you can put anything in it. I see no treason why it couldn't be a Dev kit.

With mandatory installs for the final units an optical drive would be more or less redundant in the devkits.

Yeah, no of course. I guess I just think it's unlikely that Microsoft (or any other console vendor) would in fact go for a mass produced mini ITX case (that's actually in the category of mass-storage case, since its primary feature is that it can hold 6 3.5" harddrives). Just doesn't seem like it ticks the boxes of console dev kit...

I think lherre posted it originally. Without comment. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50881785&postcount=2255

He's super scared to post any info nowdays, but just the fact he posted it probably means it's something. Best guess being Durango. Also another gaffer has offered somewhat corroboration (but it's pretty thin).

I think this notion is what encouraged Durango's design.

I think it's a smart move to include Kinect 2 in every kit, if you want the games to support them and plan to build a UI that works with the kinect.

Because i would not buy Kinect 2 for my 720 before there was a really REALLY compelling reason to do so. Kinect 1 sucks for anything other than what i call estimation controlled games. Just like i don't like FPS games with a controller because the interface becomes a limitation to what i am able to do, i see kinect as a limitation to the games. And in order to get over this limitation the games try to estimate what it is i am actually doing. Note, some games like Double Fines, Happy Action Theater and that genre is worth the investment i made in my kinect, the kids love it. But it's a one trick pony imho.

And a guesstimation controlled UI is not compelling and i look forward to voice controlling with a mic several meters away from me while i have other people talking. But maybe they are smart and includes a mic in the controller like Sony. I am prepared to be blown away, but thanks to Kinect1 i am very skeptical.

I think lherre posted it originally. Without comment. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50881785&postcount=2255

He's super scared to post any info nowdays, but just the fact he posted it probably means it's something. Best guess being Durango. Also another gaffer has offered somewhat corroboration (but it's pretty thin).

Well maybe some developers here who have worked on and seen actual dev kits can comment on how often a dev-kit is usually just a generic mass-produced consumer PC case, rather than something that is at least somewhat "no-name", i.e. a shiny box with some compontents in it.

I guess it could very well be an actual Durango dev-kit, I just, well, find it hard to believe they would settle for the little Fractal Design unit. From the looks of it, it just seems like a random shot of a generic self-built PC, using a common little case.

Not sure what it proves either. So what, if it's Fractal Design case. He could have very well made a picture of a Dell, or a Chieftec tower and claimed it to be a dev-kit. Doesn't really prove nor is the picture of interest in the slightest. Certainly, all talk about its size or how sleek it looks are really not of any importance, now that it is clear that it's just a generic case, like any other outthere.

The PS4 dev-kit shot however is more interesting because that case points to some cameras being built into it, pointing to a base feature that we could expect in the PS4. This shot however, just shows a Fractal Design Node 304 case, which could be anything. Over what exactly are we getting excited again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back