News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why a set top box based off of 360 makes a lot of sense... you know, all those IPTV services and the sort coming to the 360. Who needs a disc drive when the thing also has XBLM and the whole point of the box is internet services? :p

MS is involved in UVerse, the only big IPTV deployment in the US. I don't think it's a huge hit, really trails cable and satellite in most markets.

MS has had limited success getting other TV providers to use their software.

Comcast, Hulu, Crackle, Netflix, Sky, Rogers, ESPN, UFC, Telus Optik?

blah blah blah? I did say "and the sort" for a reason. If media usage is that much more used, then I don't see what the point of your response post was. The point is it's becoming a media hub.

Comcast has an Xbox app. they just came out with. But most of their set tops (including DVRs) run some crap from Motorola.

Hulu runs what, Silverlight? As does Netflix, though what does Netflix on PS3 or iOS use?

What kind of Internet content do people want on their TVs? These days, all TVs seem to come with Youtube and Netflix, maybe Hulu, maybe Vudu, maybe Amazon. Or DVD and Blu-Ray players also have these. Now consoles do as well.

I don't see any type of set tops having the upper hand on delivering this content. Everyone is trying to crack this nut but I suspect if there's a revolution in TV at all, it won't be from patching together these little streaming services. Even Netflix, I'm not sure about their long-term viability. They will have to pay more and more for decent content -- beyond old TV shows, which isn't worth $9 a month.

So what? The point is that people seem to be using the 360 more for the media. It's a potential market. Why not make a really small version of the 360 that emphasizes the internet usage features? The bonus is XBLM, and marketing should be a breeze, no? People love to point out the spike in sales from Slim.

Certainly PC is still a supported platform, I just believe publishers aren't as keen on the PC as they used to be. Before, games like Crysis, Far Cry, and Doom 3 were developed exclusively for the PC and then perhaps you'd get a ported down or reworked console version at a later date. I'm not sure any major publisher these days would accept a new Crysis, Far Cry, or Doom that didn't lead with a console version.

Also, Japanese support for the PC sucks. Capcom does okay with PC ports a few months after the console release but everyone else gets an F.

I think the importance of both platform exclusives (only in that there are fewer of them) and Japanese development (Nintendo excluded) are on the decline. Personal preferences aside, is there any evidence that shows that the overall gaming market feels differently?

So what? The point is that people seem to be using the 360 more for the media. It's a potential market. Why not make a really small version of the 360 that emphasizes the internet usage features? The bonus is XBLM, and marketing should be a breeze, no? People love to point out the spike in sales from Slim.

What is XBLM?

Why would people use a 360 for Youtube, Netflix, etc. as opposed to what's built in to the TV or on a DVD/Blu-Ray player or something cheaper like Roku?

A 360 costs more than most of these other set tops.

What is XBLM?

Marketplace

Why would people use a 360 for Youtube, Netflix, etc. as opposed to what's built in to the TV or on a DVD/Blu-Ray player or something cheaper like Roku?
You just posted a link claiming people use the 360 more for the media than for the games. Are you intentionally being obtuse?

Again, there's also the part about having XBLM or kinect as the bonus. All in one device now.

A 360 costs more than most of these other set tops.
The current 360 does. Are you not reading into what I'm saying about a cut-down 360?

1) They don't need to buy an expensive TV
2) Roku and DVD players can't play good quality games

I use iPlayer and YouTube and browsing on PS3 a small amount as a convenience. Thanks to the browser being poop, I'm encouraged to get me a tablet. The ASUS Transformer with HDMI out is a superb all-in-one device. With the right games (and online gaming and stuff) I could certainly make do without a console, although I'd still like the console experience as well. If MS want to compete with the new touchies, a cheap set-top-box solution is a good strategy IMO. They also want an XBLive! tablet that can play the same Live! Arcade games. That'd be a damned good portable.

I bought a 50-inch plasma a couple of months ago. It comes with a Wifi dongle and the ability to play Youtube and Netflix, run Skype and some other Internet services. It was $972, not really that expensive. I think you can get TVs costing about half as much with still these services or at least the option to connect to them.

ALso bought a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, again with the same services and maybe a couple of others, for $130.

These things turn on immediately and if they have fans running, you can't hear them.

As for XBL now being used more for general entertainment than gaming, that doesn't mean the 360 is being used more for Netflix than say a Roku box, which starts at something like $50. It just means that use of non-gaming features of the 360 has grown relative to the time spent gaming on it.

Sure it makes sense to bring down the price of the 360 for set top features. But if you're going for price-conscious consumers, even at price parity with something like Roku, the 360 would still require $60 games. So how well would it sell if the software costs almost as much as the box itself?

I bought a 50-inch plasma a couple of months ago. It comes with a Wifi dongle and the ability to play Youtube and Netflix, run Skype and some other Internet services. It was $972, not really that expensive.
There's a world of difference between a $1000 TV, or a $400 TV, and a $100 set-top-box/console.Especially when you bought a new HD TV only a couple of years ago. Adoption of internet TVs is going to be fairly slow as a standard transition of technology, and there'll be a market for enabling boxes for some years yet.

Why in the world would I want to buy a second $1000 TV to get integrated services when a $100 set top box compliments my current HDTV?

And since when did $1000 become cheap... wow.

Isn't it?

I recall my folks buying one of those 31-inch color TVs back in the day and those were over $1000.

I didn't buy it for the Youtube and Netflix. Nor have I bought a set top for it.

I haven't bothered to try to view Netflix or any other streaming on the PS3 or iPhone.

I think people greatly overestimate how big these Internet video services will be. Netflix has already peaked.

Isn't it?

I recall my folks buying one of those 31-inch color TVs back in the day and those were over $1000.

Are you really going to argue the difference between $100 and $1000? No, for the typical US consumer $1000 is not cheap or considered a impulse buy. $1000 may offer better "bang for buck" than a couple years ago as well as be a good value, but $1000 is not cheap.

Furthermore you totally glided over the difference between someone buying yet another TV for $1000 (not cheap!!!) instead of a $100 set top box that does the same thing + more.

Maybe for a sub-set of the market in the hunt for an HDTV an HDTV+apps TV *is* competing with a $50-$100 Roku/AppleTV/etc style box. But you are looking at a subset of a market where set top boxes can be leveraged to all TV owners with broadband and also via contracts with cable/FiOS provders themselves. In the Seattle area the FiOS service was already offering an Xbox 360 with a 2 year contract and the Xbox has a branded FiOS service embedded in XBL already.

I didn't buy it for the Youtube and Netflix. Nor have I bought a set top for it.
When did you last buy a TV? I bought mine a couple of years ago for HD gaming, and I'm not in any hurry to get a new one. Watching things like YouTube on it is best served either with my existing console, or a set-top box, or even a tablet with HDMI out. I'm not alone - plenty of people have bought new, flat TVs to replace their old CRTs, or SD LCDs. There can't be much of a rush to buy yet another TV just to add internet functionality, although the desirability of internet functionality may lead people to buy other devices to do these things - iPads or consoles and the like.

Are you really going to argue the difference between $100 and $1000? No, for the typical US consumer $1000 is not cheap or considered a impulse buy. $1000 may offer better "bang for buck" than a couple years ago as well as be a good value, but $1000 is not cheap.

Furthermore you totally glided over the difference between someone buying yet another TV for $1000 (not cheap!!!) instead of a $100 set top box that does the same thing + more.

Maybe for a sub-set of the market in the hunt for an HDTV an HDTV+apps TV *is* competing with a $50-$100 Roku/AppleTV/etc style box. But you are looking at a subset of a market where set top boxes can be leveraged to all TV owners with broadband and also via contracts with cable/FiOS provders themselves. In the Seattle area the FiOS service was already offering an Xbox 360 with a 2 year contract and the Xbox has a branded FiOS service embedded in XBL already.

I'm not advocating that people buy a new TV to get these Internet video content.

Just pointing out that at a not too high a price, new TVs come with that stuff integrated.

Look at any Best Buy ad on any given week. They have TVs priced much higher than that.

$1000 may be over the average and media but it's not that high for a big screen. Long time ago, every household tried to get a 25-inch TV. Now it's probably 40 to 50 inch TV. Unless you go for some brands you never heard of, I wouldn't be surprised if most TVs in this range now have this stuff integrated. They've been doing this for a couple of years now.

This is why a set top box based off of 360 makes a lot of sense... you know, all those IPTV services and the sort coming to the 360. Who needs a disc drive when the thing also has XBLM and the whole point of the box is internet services? :p

And at 32nm might be cool enough to stick in a smart tv. "Xbox" is a much better differentiator than just having exactly the same services as everyone else + shitty "own brand" tv apps.

Problem then is can you launch Xbox 3 at the same time or would you need to delay?

I'm not advocating that people buy a new TV to get these Internet video content. Just pointing out that at a not too high a price, new TVs come with that stuff integrated..
But how does that affect MS's plans to produce a set-top box (if they ahve such plans)? Are you suggesting they consider making a $99 XBox box that plays games and enables internet content, look at TVs coming with these features as standard, and decide it's not worth bothering with because in 8-10 years time everyone will own a TV with it all integrated? :???: Unless internet-enabled TVs are selling by the truckload, there's still a huge, untapped market for enabling internet content on existing TVs.

$1000 may be over the average and media but it's not that high for a big screen. Long time ago, every household tried to get a 25-inch TV. Now it's probably 40 to 50 inch TV. Unless you go for some brands you never heard of, I wouldn't be surprised if most TVs in this range now have this stuff integrated. They've been doing this for a couple of years now.

Don't forget that the Xbox (and therefore Live and associated services) also sell to kids, students, adults with a bolt hole etc. It's not always under the huge, spangly new tell in the living room.

I don't know anyone with a smart tv (that I know of) because they all went HD more than 18 months ago or bought cheapish ( sub £400) tvs. Lots of them have got tivo boxes or games consoles though.

How's the implementation of netflix for that TV? My brother has a sharp with built in netflix, and they shouldn't have bothered, because it's complete crap. He says he just uses the Xbox anyway because it's much better and the netflix tv app doesn't even launch quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back