Last of Us [PS4]

Metacritic give it 95%. Out of 36 reviews, 26 are 100%, which just goes to show how scores can get skewed and be subjective. 75% from polygon. Perhaps Metacritic should present the interquartile average as well?

Or maybe discard the best and the worst 10% of the scores to filter out the extremes.

Or maybe discard the best and the worst 10% of the scores to filter out the extremes.
That's what the interquartile does, chopping off the top and bottom 25%. Although games are subjective and you'll always get funky reviews. It's a bit absurd to categorise a game with a number, but humans can't help themselves. For those that do rate the number as important, an interquartile would be around 98 percent I'm guessing. Although other games would get the same sort of improvement, so LoU may not win the 'best game ever' award no matter how the numbers are manipulated. ;)

Uncharted 2 ended on 96% on metacritic from 105 reviews, with the lowest being 80%. Most important is comparing to user reviews. The highest scoring game, 98%, goes to GTAIV, which ranks less than 80% with users. Uncharted 2 is 96% total on metacritic with a user score of 87%. LBP was a media darling with 95% but the players weren't so impressed giving it 66%. The highest rated game of all time appears to be Orange Box with 96% media and 95% user scores. LoU is going to struggle to compete with that simple because TOB was such value.

Who is jumping on anything?

*shrug*

People might want to hold off jumping on Gamespot because they could be right in some ways.
People might want to hold off jumping on the whiners because Gamespot could be off in many ways.

Many have no basis to judge yet, other than for the demo.
Heck, I haven't played the demo, probably won't.

And the pathetic fanboys are losing their shit over it. Expected and kinda sad (after all 8/10 still means Great on GS for fuck's sake). Should make for a fine episode of Feedbackula at least. Great review though. One thing the industry needs just as much as less homogenized games are less homogenized opinions from critics as far as I'm concerned.
If review sites truly do use a 0-10 scale, 8 is not bad by any means. But most game review sites essentially use a 6-10 scale where 6 is garbage, 7 is mediocre, 8 is good and 9/10 is excellent, so if people see below 9 for a game of this caliber, they start 'losing their shit over it'.

Looking at GAF, most people are getting on Polygon more so than GS. 7.5 is rather low just judging by the other reviews, but I guess not everyone will like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what the interquartile does, chopping off the top and bottom 25%. Although games are subjective and you'll always get funky reviews. It's a bit absurd to categorise a game with a number, but humans can't help themselves. For those that do rate the number as important, an interquartile would be around 98 percent I'm guessing. Although other games would get the same sort of improvement, so LoU may not win the 'best game ever' award no matter how the numbers are manipulated. ;)

Uncharted 2 ended on 96% on metacritic from 105 reviews, with the lowest being 80%. Most important is comparing to user reviews. The highest scoring game, 98%, goes to GTAIV, which ranks less than 80% with users. Uncharted 2 is 96% total on metacritic with a user score of 87%. LBP was a media darling with 95% but the players weren't so impressed giving it 66%. The highest rated game of all time appears to be Orange Box with 96% media and 95% user scores. LoU is going to struggle to compete with that simple because TOB was such value.

Yeah, but then...who really cares for reviews. You said we have 36 scores now...so this makes 36 purely subjective opinions.

Game reviewing is not a serious business, so people should start to fully ignore them.

What makes review sites useless is there are often multiple reviewers and most are incapable of putting aside their own gaming preferences to review something from an as unbiased viewpoint as possible. And forget about comparing to other game reviews. It just doesn't make much sense. Polygon SimCity 9.5? Ok.

I have not read or watched any of the reviews, and don't intend to, the demo has told me enought to put my mind to rest.

I expect ppl to have a problem with combat, but there's nothing wrong with it. It is the way it is for that very particular reason. And to make sure impatient ppl who cannot relearn stuff to enjoy a new game, there's the 'Listen' ability to make the game easy enough for you. If you still can't fare in combat, I think u picked the wrong game. One game cannot be to everyone's liking. Silent Hills were awesome, but I have heard reviewers blaming the combat in SH, when it is obvious the combat is like that because it is supposed to be like that ! It is not an action game. Learn the tropes and you find there is an amazing experience hidden in not having karate kid's moves in a game. Sometimes limitiations are part of an experience. In fact, in life, limitations are what lead to memorable experiences. I have had the same experience in a lot of games too. Savour it, why denounce it? RE,SH, KUon, Rule of the Rose, in fact all survival based games rely on limitations to inculcate a unique experience.

Its the same thing as calling Heavy Rain a QTE fest. You picked the wrong game , its an adventure game. And for an adventure game it lets u do a lot more than what an adventure game would. And that control scheme lets u make 'mistakes' in a game, lets u feel confused in a game, forces u to fumble in panicky situations. It portrays what it intends to portray.

If ur mind is fixed on a particular definition of video game combat, then you are bound to find new experiences ,well, "uncomfortable" ! But if that exactly is the game's intention , then ! Can it be called wrong?

Although I had preordered already, the reason I wanted to playthe demo was, because I didn't know if ND would be able to provide that 'survival' experience as that usually is not their forte. From the demo, they have accomplished a fine balance, it sin't a survival heavy game, but it keeps u on your toes in fights to keep that sense of being the 'rat' and not he cat, alive. It works very well. IMHO.

Just preordered it, was surprised at how cheap it came to: $58

At 18 hours that's definitely a game I can't rent and play over a weekend (like I did with Uncharted 3)

There's one reviewer who went thru in 14 hours. It all depends on exploration I guess. Ppl say the demo is very short, while I spent a lot of time in it, around 30 mins in a playthrough. If u play on easy and rush through areas to the next fight, the time will obviously be much less.

Sheeesh, one of the reviewers recommending ppl to play on Easy, otherwise we might die a lot if We don't plan and craft before firefights !?!?! :oops: Is that the mentality for gamers these days ? He doesn't say plan before fighting, he says lpay n easy .

*shrug*

People might want to hold off jumping on Gamespot because they could be right in some ways.
People might want to hold off jumping on the whiners because Gamespot could be off in many ways.

Many have no basis to judge yet, other than for the demo.
Heck, I haven't played the demo, probably won't.

I still do not understand who is jumping and what they are jumping on.

I still do not understand who is jumping and what they are jumping on.

I'm guessing this:

And the pathetic fanboys are losing their shit over it. Expected and kinda sad (after all 8/10 still means Great on GS for fuck's sake). Should make for a fine episode of Feedbackula at least. Great review though. One thing the industry needs just as much as less homogenized games are less homogenized opinions from critics as far as I'm concerned.

Back