GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

You guys a bit farther ahead of the game than I am, the idea of $100k to play with in the stock market seems a long way off.

I've been going through the game beating people up wondering why you didn't get any cash like in previous games. I just found out you can case an ATM and then mug them after they get their money. Something about robbing jewelry stores as well, but I can't remember seeing any.

Can you rob any store you can enter? Oh, and where can you go to eat? I wanted to hit up this chili place in the ghetto but there was no door and there was no door on the chicken place across the street, either. I thought I read through the tips at the launch screen that eating food will increase health?

You get large payoff from the big story heist missions which includes multiple main characters. They give you options on the expertise level of henchmen, where better people take a bigger cut. In my limited experience always hire the best, you total take can be larger and no weak links to make things go south.

You can also rig the game, I hear - think hard about what your next mission is going to affect, and then invest wisely.

This isn't rigging the game, this is what you're supposed to be doing ;-)

Any mission in which the pre-mission brief includes dialogue is about attacking a corporation or a senior figure in a corporation, is an opportunity for a stock investment. The mission briefer will often, but not always, mention a competitor who will be a safe bet to invest in. If no competitor is mentioned, hit the ingame internet and eyespy (Google) the target and you'll likely find mentions of their chief competitor.

The news is also a good source for investment info, as are pedestrians on the street. Occasionally you'll hear a ped on the phone chatting to a friend/colleague mention a new product their company are going to launch. These are also good for a punt. :cool:

The only thing I can personally givetge game credit for is...that it really has a lot of humor and I have to laugh a lot.

Still trying to play this game...still trying to be member of the big GTA crowd...if story is good as people say, I'll keep on fighting :)

The only thing I can personally givetge game credit for is...that it really has a lot of humor and I have to laugh a lot.

Still trying to play this game...still trying to be member of the big GTA crowd...if story is good as people say, I'll keep on fighting :)

I dunno. If you've already gotten to the part where you can start switching back and forth between Michael and Franklin at will and you don't think the story is good, I can't imagine it will ever become your cup of tea.

I dunno. If you've already gotten to the part where you can start switching back and forth between Michael and Franklin at will and you don't think the story is good, I can't imagine it will ever become your cup of tea.
I was pretty underwhelmed until the setup missions for the first heist began, at which point the game grabbed me and never let go. I know that the early missions are there to serve as tutorials for the game mechanics but I felt they were lacklustre for the most part.

Oh, I wouldn't say the early missions were difficult or challenging or even all that fun, I was referring to the story telling.

Which I think really comes through regardless of the actual complexity of the missions themselves. If Billy doesn't like the story or the style of story telling after the first couple of missions, I doubt it would change even as the missions get more complex.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were him.

Ok...I did a lengthy play session yesterday up to the point where you meet Trevor for the first time...seems to be the nicest guy of all three :)

But the best part was the mission where you did a bicycle tour at the beach...the constant moaning brought me down on the floor because it was so funny...lol.

I do wonder how the rest of the story unfolds...although for me personally, the gameplay is lacking...I just use it to advance the story as fast as possible, hence only playing main missions. I did the same with RDR and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Seems that GTA V finally picks up the pace...the first Heist was good.

But I have to say that I don't like the gangster theme of Franklin, it seems all so boyish...I try to play Michael (and now probably Trevor) as much as possible.

Ok...I did a lengthy play session yesterday up to the point where you meet Trevor for the first time...seems to be the nicest guy of all three :)

But the best part was the mission where you did a bicycle tour at the beach...the constant moaning brought me down on the floor because it was so funny...lol.

I do wonder how the rest of the story unfolds...although for me personally, the gameplay is lacking...I just use it to advance the story as fast as possible, hence only playing main missions. I did the same with RDR and enjoyed it quite a lot.

But I have to say that I don't like the gangster theme of Franklin, it seems all so boyish...I try to play Michael (and now probably Trevor) as much as possible.

I think the story is great.not because it's mindblowing original but because...
When you play Michael i think you get the sense that here is a person that is into his 40's he is looking at his wife and her fake boobs, see her getting fucked by her tennis coach, has a fat boy that just want's to play (clearly this is a GTA fan as well) and has no attachment to reality. His daughter wants to fuck for fame because fame is the only important thing for her, just like it is in real life today :).
Now, it doesn't take a IQ above average to understand that this is a standard family of today put to the extreme.. but it's there. And Michael is wondering how the hell he got there when all he wanted was peace and love.. i guess maybe he should have focused a bit more on his family than his exterior and drinks by the pool. As should we all :)

Trevor is the embodiment of "everything according to me", with real life skills to match his fucked up attitude. When he doesn't agree with you he wants to destroy you in any way he can, kill you, fuck you, fuck your wife, or just get a blowjob. He is also where you go as a player to "not give a fuck". In the real world he would be dead before the game even starts, he wouldn't be allowed to live and would have been shot in the back a long time ago.

Franklin is imho the kid that doesn't know where to go with his life, limited choices tends to make the wrong choices that much easier.. i like to play him because he is good behind a wheel (top speed 191mph so far), he is open and simply more positive,i guess he isn't a complete loser.. yet..

These 3 characters combined adds meat to the story and makes it worth seeing where it's going.. and there small side missions builds on them. They flesh them out even more..

Enough ranting.. i am 25% 23/69 missions.. a long way to go.. which is fine, i am enjoying my wine with great care..

Same here. I try to play as Trevor or Michael as much as possible. Both ahve a funny as well as fun events around them. Franklin is boring, just like previous gta protagonists.

Michael's family is hilarious and Trevoe hiimslef is just damn fantastic ! I was least interested in him when R* showed trailers. I had no idea he would be my favourite :p

I ahev taken a break from GtA and Diablo for some time. Going to spend some time with Brothers in Arms Hells Highways and Stealth inc for some change.

The story telling is a big step up, specially with the fluidity in which cutscenes and gameplay intersect together. Franklin was there for the teenage audience that is amused by the american gangster stereotype (basically Michael's son), but I like how they've put him there in the less phony way possible. He is not a big shot criminal while he is doing his street husting affairs, and all other gangsters are equally small fish in the fictional crime scene of the game. And Franklin himself is aware of that, and wants out. He decided he wants to be a criminal, but at least here he wants to be a big one, and that's why he pursues a relationship with michael, who does not have the hip smart-ass gangster atitude, but actually knows how to do things. There is a big conversation between Frank and Lamar towards the end of the game where Franklin basically tells him to stop trying to pretend to be a gangster rapper and star behaving more like a human being and he will actually have more success that way. Way better than the theatrical and unrealistic embelishment of gangbangers of SA or Saints Row. R* even found the time to make fun of rich white kid's amusement toward those guys when Franklin drives Michael's son home, and he is anoyingly trying to convince him to become friends with him.
If anything bothers me in this game's story, is how over-spelled-out it is. I think in an attempt of making the story understandable even to the many pretty low brow players the game attracts, or just out of bad writing. But dialogues are just too artificial. Everything is over-detailed and repeated as if I was too dumb to read between the lines. It kills any possibility of depth to its characters. Deeper emotions usually come with subtlety, lose the subtlety and you lose them. This was a big step down from RDR, which did a better job in that regard to my eyes. Characters even use terms that should not really be in their normal vocabulary like "midlife crisis" "millenials" "Entitlement" to make sure the concepts come across at the cost of plausibility.

Trevor is crazy enough of a character to feel like a cartoon so even though he may get up to heinous activities at times, it ultimately comes off as silliness and fantasy (so tends to be fun in the video game sense). Michael is an all out douche bag in pretty much every way - he's a self centered, superficial asshole and a conniving snitch who happens to be a good criminal. Franklin is the only character who is mildly relatable as a human being though considering the activities he gets up to, he's not really much better than Michael - just nicer about it.

Personally I prefer mainly playing as Franklin since he can at least talk to people without starting fights immediately. Unfortunately Rockstar seems to have been stingy on the number of missions he gets. Playing as Michael gets a bit depressing.

Money seems completely broken in this game. . .

Cheers

Franklin is boring. He's too bland.
Trevor reminds me of Devin Townsend. I like him.
Michael is alright.
The banter between the two are hilarious.

I do not have a problem with Franklin himself...in fact, he somehow seems quite reasonable...just a bit weak and caught in his group behavior.

What I don't like is his 'bros' and the missions he had so far...especially the gangsta rapper tone...

Oh man, if only someone would build an RPG on this wonderful tech. Could be fantasy or sci-fi, doesn't matter, just don't force me to play a criminal. I mean your Shepard could certainly be an ass in ME, but at least it was a choice... and in the end it was for the greater good, and not for money...

Oh man, if only someone would build an RPG on this wonderful tech. Could be fantasy or sci-fi, doesn't matter, just don't force me to play a criminal. I mean your Shepard could certainly be an ass in ME, but at least it was a choice... and in the end it was for the greater good, and not for money...

I was talking to a friend about how I wanted to see what Rockstar would do if they made a game in either of the fantasy or sci-fi genres. They did a great job of the western ... pretty much better than anyone else had every done it. I mean, they made a western into a huge success, which is an achievement in itself. With a sequel to LA Noire seeming unlikely, maybe they can put something new in their product cycle.

I would love a Leisure Suit Larry DLC pack for this - it would be just about a perfect fit.

Back