GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

I've been watching a lot of gameplay videos, really looks like they've added a lot more than any previous GTA combined and the graphics look top notch for a console game. I'm not even sure anymore I can wait for a PC version.

I just bought it today at lunch, and I can't wait to get home to play it.

I mean, I can't wait to get home to wait as the game installs. GRRRRRRR!!

This game is a masterpiece ! Hope the excitement doesn't die till th eend.

I was cruising around as usual, saw a new car on the road, hijacked it and somehow the damned cops saw me and gave chase. Now this 'campers' car was super slow and I found myself running on foot towards a mountain in the middle of the night. I kept ascending on foot and by the time I reached the top, panting, I was relieved that the police were far behind now. As I stopped to catch my breat, I see something coming towards me. Damn, its Lioness or a panther, too dark to see, pull out my gun but aaaaaaaaaah ! I am dead ! :D the whole drama of it has got stuck in my head, the night, the on foot climbing of a mountain, finding safety only to be killed by a Lioness/panther.

Also, took part in a Trilathon. Super fun ! Killed a shark too, but there seems to be no reward for it.

The driving is really good too, it feels like a Midnight Club game at times.

You can drive a lot faster than in GTA4, and because of the varied terrain and the opportunity to get up to speed, you can have some really spectacular crashes.

And honestly, the ocean and diving ... I was really blown away by how good it looks considering how old these consoles are. The amount of detail in this game world is spectacular. There's really nothing else out there that compares. Bethesda is going to have to up their game if they don't want their open worlds to seem pathetic.

You can drive a lot faster than in GTA4, and because of the varied terrain and the opportunity to get up to speed, you can have some really spectacular crashes.

Which are surprisingly deadly most of the time :LOL:. That was something I had to get used to after lots of play time with Saints Row.

And honestly, the ocean and diving ... I was really blown away by how good it looks considering how old these consoles are. The amount of detail in this game world is spectacular. There's really nothing else out there that compares. Bethesda is going to have to up their game if they don't want their open worlds to seem pathetic.

Exactly the thought I was having while playing this right now ! They have just killed everything with this game. How th ehell did they manage to accomplish this?

Also, anyone knows what they are doing for those reflections on water? i mean they seem to reflect everything.

I am addicted to flying in this game now. Thankfully its not too difficult and its so soothing and so different from the "gta" crass loudness that it feels like therapy ! lol !
Bless the guy who gifted it to me, otherwise I would have never bought it going by how I felt about GTA4.

I don't think Bethesda should attempt to go into the same direction. They don't really need to either. GTA 5's world feels very believable indeed, but it still sort of falls apart if you look a little too closely (trail a cop car for a couple of minutes. It simply circles around the same block for all eternity) The coolest thing about the Bethesda games is how most things actually serve a bigger purpose than creating surface level atmosphere. That's the stuff they need to improve further.

I hope you get access to scuba gear at some point as swimming underwater in this game is like the PS3 sequel to Aquanaut's Holiday I have always wanted.

=)

Cheers

Also, anyone knows what they are doing for those reflections on water? i mean they seem to reflect everything.

I think they are doing good old real time planar reflections. Which is amusing. Rendering eveything again from the point of view of a virtual camera on the reflecting plane, at lower resolution and more agressive lodding and culling. A brute force aproach, specially for an open world game, but GTA IV was already doing it (though ignoring dynamic objects) as well as Saints Row 3 and 4. Aside from that, they seem to be updating a cubemap in real time as well, from the pov of the camera, for reflections and GI on everything else. Again, similar to IV which did the same thing though with dual paraboloid mapping, which prevented them from using it on near vertical angles (too artifacty). It is a gross hack, but works better than I would think. Some depth based parallax correction would do wonders to that aproach.

The best part is, the online isn't even out yet. So good, and there's so much more to come. I hope they delayed the online release to get all of the infrastructure right. That's a lot of players all trying to jump in at once. I'm expecting online to be rocky for the first couple of weeks. Hopefully I am wrong. At least knowing how many copies are wrong, they should be able to gauge the number of people that will be online, rather than just trying to guess for release date.

Which are surprisingly deadly most of the time :LOL:. That was something I had to get used to after lots of play time with Saints Row.

I killed myself on a jet ski because bottom of a low bridge caught my head as I attempted to drive under it. It was an instant kill because the slo mo death scene started with a bone crunching sound as soon as I made contact. My hands were still firmly gripping the handle bars.

I noticed every time I switch to Franklin, he is doing numerous things like washing his car, working out, hanging out or picking up his prescription. While Micheal is basically never at home while doing absolutely nothing. Sitting on a park bench, sitting on his car over a look out or driving with no explicit destination. One time I switched to him and his was in an alley on the same block of his house in his car with the head and hands slumped over the steering wheel.

I am seeing a disconnect between the descriptions of folks here and the reality of the game as far as activities are concerned. Where is all the stuff to do?

Playing Franklin right now I have one main story mission available and almost never see any of the random encounter missions (and usually when they occur I am speeding along and are gone by the time I stop). The "stranger" missions seem few and far between and there do not seem to be any treasure hunts, shooting sprees, gang territory take overs or similar mini-games / passtimes in GTAV. There are a few sporting activities but mostly it is just drive around looking for something to do.

Does this change with story progression? Last I looked I was at 12% which suggests this is a comparably short game (as most of my time was spent randomly driving around as opposed to progressing the story).

GTAIV was a huge let down because there was nothing to do outside of standard missions and the nag nag nag dating minigame stuff. So far this feels a lot closer to GTAIV than San Andreas or Vice City . . .

Cheers

The driving is really good too, it feels like a Midnight Club game at times.

I'm finding it very relaxing just driving around the island's ring road and more rural areas in hood view with the radio on. Rockstar have really nailed the weather effects here. Driving around at sunrise or dusk in fog and/or rain is really atmospheric - plus the random events seem to be more interesting than those in the city.

Has anybody spent anytime in the middle of the hills or moors at night? There are some really creepy noises - and definitely not Elk or any other animal I've seen.

I am seeing a disconnect between the descriptions of folks here and the reality of the game as far as activities are concerned. Where is all the stuff to do?

Playing Franklin right now I have one main story mission available and almost never see any of the random encounter missions (and usually when they occur I am speeding along and are gone by the time I stop). The "stranger" missions seem few and far between and there do not seem to be any treasure hunts, shooting sprees, gang territory take overs or similar mini-games / passtimes in GTAV. There are a few sporting activities but mostly it is just drive around looking for something to do.

Does this change with story progression? Last I looked I was at 12% which suggests this is a comparably short game (as most of my time was spent randomly driving around as opposed to progressing the story).

GTAIV was a huge let down because there was nothing to do outside of standard missions and the nag nag nag dating minigame stuff. So far this feels a lot closer to GTAIV than San Andreas or Vice City . . .

Cheers

If you check the stats it's:

69 Missions
42 Hobbies and Pastimes
20 Strangers and Freaks
14 Random Events
16 Miscellaneous

$1B in 3 days? It seems to me this is how the games industry breaks down at the moment.

gta.png

gxnv2ayij

Back