Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

I have a problem with the idea of core gamers wanting Wuu for the core games like COD, and that's the controller. Is Joe Gamer really going to be comfortable with that controller for COD? We've recently been talking about natural interfaces and point-and-shoot controllers like Wii, Move, and Kinect. DS2 gave an idealised shooter setup, give or take a few changes in stick positions and such. But the basics of two thumb controller have been used for a decade in a comfortable setup that console shooters are confident with. The Wuu controller lacks the decent sized grips and dual shoulder buttons/triggers.

My point exactly - the controller is intrinsically tied to the shooter genre - there are more than a few people who will get COD/BF only for Xbox because they prefer the 360 controller rather than the DS3 (and vice versa too).

In addition to the short analog sliders, the placement of the right thumbstick above the ABXY buttons (unlike the other two pads) may also be problematic as it will make 'clawing' impossible.

Also, are the analog nubs able to be clicked in like their PS3/360 counterparts?

And I'm not sure about Patsu's comment that PS3 core gamers prefer the Move to the DS3 for shooters- while some may prefer it, what are the aim/turning assists being used on the Move? If it has more assists then it isn't a fair comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
One question to anyone that can answer, would there be any technical limitation with the Wii U supporting 4 tablets at the same time? For example a 4 player first person shooter with the Wii U streaming the 4 video signals at the same time. Would there be more lag on screen 2,3,4 than on screen 1 for some reason? Thanks.

My point exactly - the controller is intrinsically tied to the shooter genre - there are more than a few people who will get COD/BF only for Xbox because they prefer the 360 controller rather than the DS3 (and vice versa too).

In addition to the short analog sliders and lack of shoulder buttons, the placement of the right thumbstick above the ABXY buttons (unlike the other two pads) may also be problematic as it will make 'clawing' difficult.

And I don't buy Patsu's suggestion that PS3 core gamers prefer the Move to the DS3 for shooters- while some may prefer it, what are the aim/turning assists being used on the Move?

Lack of what now? The image shows clearly it has L/R & ZL&ZR

One question to anyone that can answer, would there be any technical limitation with the Wii U supporting 4 tablets at the same time?
Biggest problem will be to squeeze enough data in air between the box and remotes. Wifi sucks pretty badly for that compared to wires.

Lack of what now? The image shows clearly it has L/R & ZL&ZR

Yes, I realised that and edited my post.

However it doesn't seem to have clickable thumbsticks - which is a huge problem for shooters as crucial actions like crouching/melee/sprinting/zoom are usually mapped to the thumbstick clicks.

Virtual controls on the screen aren't going to compensate for the immediacy of a thumbstick click either.

And if they tried to work around this by moving sprint/melee etc to the face buttons and in turn move the face button controls to the screen (like jump, reload, switch weapon) the position of the face buttons in relation to the right thumbstick would make this tricky as you can see: (and you wouldn't be able to 'claw' either)

wii-u-2011-06-07-600-26.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/nintendo-wii-u-controller-first-hands-on/

It also seems that the screen is resistive as Engadget mentions a plastic stylus tucked into the controller.

Which is quite shocking, as resistive screens have been completely superseded by capacitive tech and anyone transitioning from an iPad or smartphone will immediately notice the difference (as a long time Palm user I certainly feel the difference in responsiveness and accuracy playing games on resistive versus capacitive displays).

One question to anyone that can answer, would there be any technical limitation with the Wii U supporting 4 tablets at the same time? For example a 4 player first person shooter with the Wii U streaming the 4 video signals at the same time. Would there be more lag on screen 2,3,4 than on screen 1 for some reason? Thanks.

Depending out the output chain works, yes there could be a technical limitation. There could also be performance limitations and reliability limitations. It could be a really flexible solution, but for all we know the system is built to pair wirelessly and transmit to exactly one tablet stream. I assume the GPU sees the screen like a second monitor on a PC. You have to start thinking about how many monitors is the video hardware built to drive at once? How many tablets is the wireless video transmission system built to broadcast to? Is the video stream compressed? Will compressing multiple streams introduce latency? Is there enough space in the wireless spectrum being used to support simultaneous broadcast to multiple controllers? What is the performance implication of needing to render a 3rd, 4th and 5th unique view in realtime?

And if they tried to work around this by moving sprint/melee etc to the face buttons and in turn move the face button controls to the screen (like jump, reload, switch weapon) the position of the face buttons in relation to the right thumbstick would make this tricky as you can see: (and you wouldn't be able to 'claw' either)
With the stick positioned directly above and very close to the face buttons, you don't need to claw. WiiU uses a layout that lets you reach the buttons and the Dpad without removing your thumb from the sticks - works on 3DS as well.

Also, resistive screens are more precise than capacitive screens. Pressure sensitivity is a nice added bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the stick positioned directly above and very close to the face buttons, you don't need to claw. WiiU uses a layout that lets you reach the buttons and the Dpad without removing your thumb from the sticks.
:???: I'm guessing you've phrased that wrong. What are you supposed to press the buttons with if your thumb is on the stick?

:???: I'm guessing you've phrased that wrong. What are you supposed to press the buttons with if your thumb is on the stick?
Your thumb - or more precisely the upper joint of your thumb. ;)

Like I said: If you have a 3DS, try it. Takes only a few minutes to get used to. With the tip of your thumb resting on the stick, you can reach three of the four buttons (or directions on the dpad) with the joint. Pressing a button and actually moving the stick at the same time is tricky, only certain combinations work, but it's at the very least a lot faster than switching between sticks and buttons on a conventional controller.

Yes, I realised that and edited my post.

However it doesn't seem to have clickable thumbsticks - which is a huge problem for shooters as crucial actions like crouching/melee/sprinting/zoom are usually mapped to the thumbstick clicks.

Virtual controls on the screen aren't going to compensate for the immediacy of a thumbstick click either.

No clickable thumbsticks and two fewer shoulder buttons means that you have effectively got 4 fewer buttons on hand when you're playing a typical core game. So thats 2 vs 6 in a typical controller.

No clickable thumbsticks and two fewer shoulder buttons means that you have effectively got 4 fewer buttons on hand when you're playing a typical core game. So thats 2 vs 6 in a typical controller.

I am sure the touch screen will make up for them.

Overall I am still not sold with Wii-U controller, Look really clumsy. It's a step back from Wiimote. If Nintendo want to offer touch screen, they should just went with a 10" tablet like iPad, without buttons or stick. Or build a touch pad into Wiimote.

I still reckon Nintendo should develop a Kinect like device that they can use with Wiimote. I don't get why they need to win back the PS360 crowd. The majority of those crowd are way too invested in their respective console to drop $300 for this. I don't think the Wii crowd will like this the same way they embraced Wii.

This is just bizarre. Nintendo is basically giving up on the living room TV to both Sony and MS. Kids now don't have to disturb mommy and daddy to play their games. But family that can afford Wii-U most likely already have a second or third TV anyway. Making the idea of playing games on the controller somewhat redundant. And of course there are handhelds too.

Multiplayer with only a single Wii-U controller is also silly, kids will most likely fight for it. I was ready to buy this, but I have to wait and see now, I am just not sold.

Even the analysts seem to agree that ports of core titles to Wuu will be minimally successfull
Games industry analysts typically don't know shit from sundries anyway, so who cares what they think or say? Analysts said Wii would bomb last E3 and look what happened.

Not saying WiiU will do just as well (I'm not a fortune teller), just that if it bombs it won't be because analcysts said so.

No clickable thumbsticks and two fewer shoulder buttons means that you have effectively got 4 fewer buttons on hand when you're playing a typical core game.
Today's games use too many buttons anyway IMO. The reason I don't play console games anymore, even those I haven't finished, is because I have trouble remembering and switching between different button layouts (and the differences in overall "feel" of turn rate and movement response in any first-person shooting game).

It seems as if devs see the controller has n buttons, they have to come up with something to put on all of them, leading to very cluttered layouts.

Let's see... The abscence of clickable thumbsticks has been bothering me since the GameCube unveiling. There most be some patent of legal issues preventing Nintendo from using it, since is a way to add extra input options withouth complicating the control scheme. So its kind of late to start wondering about this.

Now, im amazed that you can't think of a way to substitute sprint/duck on this controller. The ducking response in a shooter is not as critical as in a fighting game for example. So you could assign a quick flip downwards and the character ducks, shake reloads, slight tilt up while pushing the stick makes player run, hell double tap the stick and run is activated. Developers most of the time use a not so optimal control scheme. For example, if i had ducking and crouching in a game i could use 1 button instead of 2. The Withcer 2 used 3 buttons just to handle the sword when it could have easily used just 1.
What? Im seeing 4 shoulder/trigger buttons. Gyroscope, accelerometers and a touch screen aren't substitute for two clicks?

Back