Forza 4

You need to get this game, it's too good to pass up :)

Some people like racing games, other people like car collection games :p

I'm thinking of a finger...guess which one. :p

Man alive your 1/4 mi. drag time is brutal. I went all assists off--even clutch--and you are just blowing me away. I don't think I would want to meet you on a cold dark night at a red light :oops:

After a number of laps of futility I went to a couple of your other Rival times though just to feel a little better about myself. Of course I don't remember those trials and the 1/4 mi. one is seared into my mind. Quite embarrassing being blown off the line like that time and again. Nice job Nav.

Ugh, Robert, do you really ever expect me to top 47.8 on the Top Gear track? I mean, really? I had to lower myself to putting traction control on my Apollo on the Ring circ. challenge just to gain the .3 seconds I needed to beat Hattrixx (high end sports cars weaving in and out of traffic) but I already was using no assist except Clutch on the other Top Gear track just to lay down a 1:45.

Rivals is evil... you feel defeated but also compelled to attempt to best your Rival. On the other hand it feels great to best a Rivals time... kind of sucks when you know when the @#$@# Rival is better and will just turn around and turn up a higher score, toying with you :p

Damn, you guys are good at this game.... I fear I;m going to be at the bottom of the ladder a lot...

Yeah, a couple of the guys a really good. I was pretty bad when FM2 came out and while I am not as good as Graham, Bfigved, Robert, etc my suggestion would be to pick a couple courses you like and practice those. Try going up the leaderboard 1 by 1, seeing where you can gain time. I know some people say just go for the best but what I find is they are so good you lose them after the first corner so it doesn't help. It may help to peak, but progressively working up the ladder seems to help.

The other thing is don't always trust the line. It is pretty conservative. Get to know a track well and use the REWIND to practice corners. I found, e.g. on the short Top Gear Track, that there are some corners you can really "cheat" on and break late, break hard, and then push through the corner without losing all your speed. You will find there is this fine line between a controlled lap, out of control, and on the edge of out of control. I was laying down laps on a track (infenon I think?) where pushing the car right to the edge but never losing control netted me 3 full seconds over my cautious lap (1:47 vs. 1:50).

I am not an expert, so expect the other guys to correct me, but use rewind and get a feel for how hard you can press your turns but also be mindful of your exit speed. You may whip through the corner faster but may exit with less speed and this can hurt you -- I am shocked, actually, that Turn10 did not include some driving "tests" for how to take corners, S turns, hairpins, and most importantly breaking & safe passing techniques. I know I have a lot to learn in regards to driving these cars and it would be nice to get some basic instruction. The game may be super accessible but it doesn't do a lot of hands on training to get better the right way.

At least you can learn from your Rival's errors :D

I look forward to seeing you on the track. We can probably use the Rival's scores to handicap. Oh yeah, I can see it now: Legislating Robert and Graham to little Ford Kas while we get Ferraris. :devilish:

Man alive your 1/4 mi. drag time is brutal. I went all assists off--even clutch--and you are just blowing me away. I don't think I would want to meet you on a cold dark night at a red light :oops:

After a number of laps of futility I went to a couple of your other Rival times though just to feel a little better about myself. Of course I don't remember those trials and the 1/4 mi. one is seared into my mind. Quite embarrassing being blown off the line like that time and again. Nice job Nav.

I was getting blown away as well from random rival until I went crazy on the tire pressure. I'm pretty sure it was an insanely high front tire pressure. As an aside, since its about the only tweak we are allowed to do in a bunch of these races (unless I'm missing something) that's the only way I know of to get "faster". I will add my disclaimer of, "I don't actually know what I'm doing", I read what tire pressure is/was supposed to do in the blurbs on the tuning screen and I tried it out; I'm positive if you did that with manual you could probably best me by a second or more.

I was getting blown away as well from random rival until I went crazy on the tire pressure. I'm pretty sure it was an insanely high front tire pressure. As an aside, since its about the only tweak we are allowed to do in a bunch of these races (unless I'm missing something) that's the only way I know of to get "faster". I will add my disclaimer of, "I don't actually know what I'm doing", I read what tire pressure is/was supposed to do in the blurbs on the tuning screen and I tried it out; I'm positive if you did that with manual you could probably best me by a second or more.

You know Nav, you played this all wrong. A lesser man (like myself!) would have held that cherished little nugget close to his chest, as if watching little children trying to grab something from your hand. If you hadn't said a word I would have continued to forget the blurb on the restrictions that some tuning was allowed. I was plotting to spend at least 30 minutes tomorrow to beat that drag score and you could have laughed maniacally at my utter futility and absolute frustration. You are a gentleman. But as they say, nice guys finish last, so eat rubber :devilish:

Oh man, Rivals is going to ruin my life ( = bitterness of failure/defeat + childishly antagonizing my friends - monstrous time suck). I was up tonight hanging around seeing if anyone wanted to play online and I spent 90% of my time waiting doing Rivals mode. I am starting to wonder why I pre-ordered BF3. :LOL:

You know Nav, you played this all wrong. A lesser man (like myself!) would have held that cherished little nugget close to his chest, as if watching little children trying to grab something from your hand. If you hadn't said a word I would have continued to forget the blurb on the restrictions that some tuning was allowed. I was plotting to spend at least 30 minutes tomorrow to beat that drag score and you could have laughed maniacally at my utter futility and absolute frustration. You are a gentleman. But as they say, nice guys finish last, so eat rubber :devilish:

Oh man, Rivals is going to ruin my life ( = bitterness of failure/defeat + childishly antagonizing my friends - monstrous time suck). I was up tonight hanging around seeing if anyone wanted to play online and I spent 90% of my time waiting doing Rivals mode. I am starting to wonder why I pre-ordered BF3. :LOL:

Yeah, I was really only playing Gears 3 to be done (not that I don't enjoy the game) I just wanted to get back to racing which is all types of strange for me. To be honest, I hope more people share or even tell me how insane my choices were and why they are good/bad. I would really like to learn a little about this without needing to enroll in some automotive technical institute.

Ugh, Robert, do you really ever expect me to top 47.8 on the Top Gear track?

I haven't tried the Top Gear stuff yet, but to beat Robert I had to get a bit more creative. I was trying his rival challenge on an open track event and noticed that his car always accelerated faster no matter what i tried, even when trying the same event with the same car he would out accelerate me. So figuring that I'll lose the acceleration battle anyways I downgraded the power of my GTA Trans Am and instead upgraded it's handling much more. That let me beat his challenge although in a very funny way because the end of the track was a long straight and his ghost was catching up to me really fast lol, I just manged to cross the finish line first as he blew by :)

I haven't tried the Top Gear stuff yet, but to beat Robert I had to get a bit more creative. I was trying his rival challenge on an open track event and noticed that his car always accelerated faster no matter what i tried, even when trying the same event with the same car he would out accelerate me. So figuring that I'll lose the acceleration battle anyways I downgraded the power of my GTA Trans Am and instead upgraded it's handling much more. That let me beat his challenge although in a very funny way because the end of the track was a long straight and his ghost was catching up to me really fast lol, I just manged to cross the finish line first as he blew by :)

Time to turn on my xbox :devilish:

I swear, I will never get the campaign finished due to Rivals. I can't help it when I see that damn envelope pop up!

Clearly, I'm the dumbest racer here...I'm just realizing that I could use the cars from the garage(s) in these races! Anything else you all are conveniently leaving out?!? :p I'm loving the Ford Ka which for a couple people here will have just triggered a Rival e-mail :)

Also, for those like me who just opened the case and threw in the discs don't forget the download codes in the case for the tracks and cars there is also an M5 theme and car(?).

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear, I will never get the campaign finished due to Rivals. I can't help it when I see that damn envelope pop up!
I cannot beat you in quality, so I have beat you in quantity. Your box should be full of mail from Ban Bot :devilish:

Btw, as I play more Rivals I am liking the layout.

They have a "Monthly" hopper with 4 trials. Then there is the lobby of "Time Trial" challenges with stock cars, "Time Attack" which has challenges that allows tuned cars, "Difting," which is obvious, "Autocross" which has cone challenges (a ton of fun!), "Track Days" which has slower traffic to weave through, and "Top Gear" challenges. It seems overwhelming at first, but once you get a feel for it it makes a lot of sense and offers a good balance in each category. I whined about FM3 not having set challenges with set cars and now we get both: You can do challenges with the car/tune of your choice OR there is like a dozen+ set car/track challenges. And with a new addition monthly it should draw people back in.

Rivals > Career mode, for sure.

Clearly, I'm the dumbest racer here...I'm just realizing that I could use the cars from the garage(s) in these races! Anything else you all are conveniently leaving out?!? :p I'm loving the Ford Ka which for a couple people here will have just triggered a Rival e-mail :)

I want the last 30 minutes of my life back. :devilish: Rival email volleyed back! :devilish:

@ joker: all your base are belong to us!

@ Onkl Bjorni: Grrrr!!! The Dunsfold Dynamo with the Lotus is just aggravating! I need to go to manual if I hope to have a chance. I can get 1.25.5 on a good clean lap and have gotten as low as 1.24.7 dirty -- but that STILL doesn't best your 1.24.6 clean. And I know the second I match you BAM! You are gonna drop a whole second down!! Grrr!!

So I've been playing a bit more this weekend, and so far pretty decent improvements all round. For the first time going back to that other game, I felt I was playing a game with an inferior image quality (except the cockpit). My only complaint is that cars in the shadow get too dark, and their brake lights and reflectors don't help there at all.

My issues with the demo (don't know if any of them have been fixed), playing with no assists, sim mode, MS wheel, only auto-clutch):

- the rear of the BMW breaks out in 4th gear, at 180km/h when pressing the accellerator too hard. That doesn't make sense, imho.
- I'm a drift king in Forza 4. I'm not sure what 'Simulation' means in Forza, but that other game has high, low and realistic spin assist (the latter meaning that when you spin, you spin). This simulation setting seems to correspond more or less with high vs low.
- the grip at the end of the final turn of for instance the BMW overtake rival challenge (also the Zonda one) seems weird. Is there oil on the track or ice?
- the rival challenges have some really annoying bits. The way your next lap is invalidated based on the previous one seems almost random at times (I think I understand it more or less) and very user-unfriendly. What would help greatly is if, like some other games, the challenges don't start at start finish but before the final turn. Random traffic can also be annoying in that sometimes you are just completely blocked, which makes your best laptime also a bit more random than you'd have hoped for (but I can live with that)

So overall, great sound and graphics, but definitely still a lot of room for improvement in the driving model, where I think the gap has widened. Of course this doesn't matter much as there will be only few people who actually care enough. ;)

Will likely pick up the game today.

@ Onkl Bjorni: Grrrr!!! The Dunsfold Dynamo with the Lotus is just aggravating! I need to go to manual if I hope to have a chance. I can get 1.25.5 on a good clean lap and have gotten as low as 1.24.7 dirty -- but that STILL doesn't best your 1.24.6 clean. And I know the second I match you BAM! You are gonna drop a whole second down!! Grrr!!

I have sent you some new rival e-mails :LOL:;)

So I've been playing a bit more this weekend, and so far pretty decent improvements all round. For the first time going back to that other game, I felt I was playing a game with an inferior image quality (except the cockpit). My only complaint is that cars in the shadow get too dark, and their brake lights and reflectors don't help there at all.

My issues with the demo (don't know if any of them have been fixed), playing with no assists, sim mode, MS wheel, only auto-clutch):

- the rear of the BMW breaks out in 4th gear, at 180km/h when pressing the accellerator too hard. That doesn't make sense, imho.
- I'm a drift king in Forza 4. I'm not sure what 'Simulation' means in Forza, but that other game has high, low and realistic spin assist (the latter meaning that when you spin, you spin). This simulation setting seems to correspond more or less with high vs low.
- the grip at the end of the final turn of for instance the BMW overtake rival challenge (also the Zonda one) seems weird. Is there oil on the track or ice?
- the rival challenges have some really annoying bits. The way your next lap is invalidated based on the previous one seems almost random at times (I think I understand it more or less) and very user-unfriendly. What would help greatly is if, like some other games, the challenges don't start at start finish but before the final turn. Random traffic can also be annoying in that sometimes you are just completely blocked, which makes your best laptime also a bit more random than you'd have hoped for (but I can live with that)

So overall, great sound and graphics, but definitely still a lot of room for improvement in the driving model, where I think the gap has widened. Of course this doesn't matter much as there will be only few people who actually care enough. ;)

Will likely pick up the game today.

Your last two turns (most people are saying three so it could be that) if they are dirty will invalidate your current and next lap. Pro Tip: keep rewind ON and use it for a clean turn, while this will invalidate your CURRENT lap if you make it through the last two (three?) turns cleanly you will have a clean NEXT lap. Personally, I enjoy rivals so much that I actually keep rewind off and though I have been bitten by the "are you ****ing kidding me!" gamer rage where I swear MAYBE a millimeter of rubber crossed the line on the last turn of the Top Gear track just before I cross the line besting my rival (this happened twice last night :mad:).

I don't have a problem with a lap being invalidated because I hit the greenery I DO have a problem with it being invalidated because of drafting.

Also, there were some changes in the most recent update. I know that the 1/4 mile community is rather unhappy with the update and they want the drag times leaderboards reset. Overall though if you like/dislike the driving/handling in the demo it doesn't change in the retail title, at least to me pre-update, though I am skill less so you might want to scour the forzacentral or GAF threads first before deciding on a purchase. My rule of thumb has always been if you have to ask others if you should get it then don't saves everyone grief when/if things go awry. If you do actually get it then I would say perform the ball bearing trick on your MS Wheel if you haven't already.

Back