Apparantly the PSP2 exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the PS3 RSX and PSP2 Power VR SGX55x GPU support OpenGL ES 2.0. Games on the PS3 are generally written at level lower than OpenGL for flexibility and speed. Since Sony is stressing cross platform compatibility and I believe will be supporting OpenGL WebGL games and a OpenGL HTML5 webkit browser, Android platforms, the majority which support OpenGL ES 2.0 and iOS which also supports OpenGL, they may be coding OpenGL for PSP2 not low level. If so, OpenGL calls can be sent over the wifi to the PS3 and an OpenGL application can display on the PS3. The OpenGL calls are higher level requiring less bandwidth for wifi to the PS3.

Stressed at the Tokyo PSP2 News conference was cross platform, Open GL is cross platform. If everything is written using OpenGL calls, half the work is already done for a port. This is what OpenGL was designed for, to allow games to port between platforms and to insure graphics support was available for games. Direct X is the same thing for Microsoft products and games and why the Xbox was named X-Box.

Syncing graphics, the screen on the PS3, with the PSP2 if Open GL is used for the PS3 XMB would be the reverse of the above and also easy to implement. PS3 games, typically could not be displayed or synced on a PSP2 as they GENERALLY use lower level graphics routines. Some of the newer (written with multiple platform in mind) games will probably use OpenGL and could display on a PSP2 but who would want to do that.

:D so my idea sounds feasibly possible?... AWESOME!!!

C'mon Sony!!

Being able to play PSP2 games through the PS3 in full HD over Wi-Fi would just make the PSP2 absolutely irresistable for PS3 owners :D That's 45 million potential PSP2 owners right there already!!

C'mon Sony!!

Being able to play PSP2 games through the PS3 in full HD over Wi-Fi would just make the PSP2 absolutely irresistable for PS3 owners :D That's 45 million potential PSP2 owners right there already!!
If the game is written in a cross-platform environment and that's ported to PS3, sure, although you'll get less performance from PS3 in that case versus targeting directly. I suppose it depends how well Sony can tune their engine to their hardware. If PS Suite appears on PS3, you could certainly run the same game code as an NGP game on PS3, and control it on NGP viewing on HDTV.

Interesting too that they are currently calling PSP2 NGP. They are clearly umming and erring over sticking with the conventional PlayStation naming, and we might get something more artsy-fartsy like PlayStation Buddy or PlayStation Familiar or PlayStation MyWay.

C'mon Sony!!

I expect it's a given but what else does Sony have planned so we have a true synergy between PS3 - PSP2. PSP2 as LCD touchpanel control of the PS3 for Blu-ray similar to Android phone remote control of the PS3 but more.

Low power mode or pause mode built into the PSP2 until the touch screen is touched so battery life could be extended. GPU and CPU processors sleep until needed, no-game remote use shouldn't need more than one of the 4.

PSP2 could be used as a controller for PS3 games.

I still don't see why they don't have HDMI out. You can get 5V power through HDMI just like USB, so this could have made PSP2 both a home and a portable console. You just hook it up to your TV and play....

Both the PS3 RSX and PSP2 Power VR SGX55x GPU support OpenGL ES 2.0. Games on the PS3 are generally written at a level lower than OpenGL for flexibility and speed. Since Sony is stressing cross platform compatibility and I believe will be supporting OpenGL WebGL games and a OpenGL HTML5 webkit browser, Android platforms, the majority which support OpenGL ES 2.0 and iOS which also supports OpenGL, they may be coding OpenGL for PSP2 not low level. If so, OpenGL calls can be sent over the wifi to the PS3 and an OpenGL application can display on the PS3. The OpenGL calls are higher level requiring less bandwidth for wifi to the PS3.

Stressed at the Tokyo PSP2 News conference was cross platform, Open GL is cross platform. If everything is written using OpenGL calls, half the work is already done for a port. This is what OpenGL was designed for, to allow games to port between platforms and to insure graphics support was available for games. Direct X is the same thing for Microsoft products and games and why the Xbox was named X-Box.

Syncing graphics, the screen on the PS3, with the PSP2 if Open GL is used for the PS3 XMB would be the reverse of the above and also easy to implement. PS3 games, typically could not be displayed or synced on a PSP2 as they GENERALLY use lower level graphics routines. Some of the newer (written with multiple platform in mind) games will probably use OpenGL and could display on a PSP2 but who would want to do that.

Thats great news. I was a little worried how would Sony create a continuation and achieve backwards compatibility with it solder products in the long run considering that MS is strict with th DirectX API to maintain compatibility between its direct X products and its future console interations.

I thought Sony didnt have anything similar at all, and that they were going to have some accumulated issues because it didnt appear to have any common framework and they have some different and "peculiar" architectural designs from generation to generation.

I still don't see why they don't have HDMI out. You can get 5V power through HDMI just like USB, so this could have made PSP2 both a home and a portable console. You just hook it up to your TV and play....

What is the PSP2 supposed to use to connect to the TV then? :?:

What is the PSP2 supposed to use to connect to the TV then? :?:

HDMI? The power pins are different than data pins, they're all there in the same connector.
Only problem seems to be that HDMI spec only provides for 55mA current over the connector, although many HDMI devices provide far more than that, it still won't be guaranteed to charge.

Plan B: Sell a wireless HDMI adapter accessory to plug in to the TV and connect like that. For those who have a PS3, the PS3 can be that "wireless HDMI accessory".

Modern Warfare 3 port on this thing and it could be the western answer to Monster Hunter in Japan. I dont think it needs any special gimmicks, all this needs to be a big success it the right content. The dual thumbsticks has just made this device an automatic success IMO.

It all depends on if MS has a handheld to reveal at E3 .

It doesn't.

No TV or monitor out port. All wireless networking? So there must be some significant software interface in the PSP2 supporting WiFi to the PS3 and/or Wifi accessory connected to TVs.

Really cheap WiFi to HDMI? Like Plan B above: Sell a wireless HDMI adapter accessory to plug in to the TV and connect like that. For those who have a PS3, the PS3 can be that "wireless HDMI accessory".

I'd bet that there'll be an (optional) docking station that'll feature TV out.
Does it have usb port? Does it charge through usb or is there some proprietary connector? HOw about headphones? Is it proprietary as in PSP or standard?
It's entirely possible there'll be some minor changes / additions / reductions to the hardware before it is actually released, or not.

No TV or monitor out port. All wireless networking? So there must be some significant software interface in the PSP2 supporting WiFi to the PS3 and/or Wifi accessory connected to TVs.

Really cheap WiFi to HDMI? Like Plan B above: Sell a wireless HDMI adapter accessory to plug in to the TV and connect like that. For those who have a PS3, the PS3 can be that "wireless HDMI accessory".

No TV Out. There is a proprietary dock port similar to the one used on the Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back