Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Yeah, horde is pretty fun. :) Played with willard and NRP yesterday in a public match. Got up to wave 30 on Hotel. I still haven't quite figured out the cash sharing.

I played with RobertR1, NRP and a guy I play NHL with in a public match and we got to wave 38 or so on Sandbar. Pretty crazy stuff. Haven't figured out the cash sharing either. I just read a guide that said you can walk up to another player and press Y to swap currency.

Yeah I don't know how to share cash either but we got upto level 38 on horde last night before fatigue set in.

For me, this game is a solid 10. Is there room for improvment in areas? yes but the plethroa of content and exectuion of that content, meaning it's not just fluff to appease a checklist, means the replay value is stupidly high.

Yeah, there's a lot of value in this one. I've yet to try Beast mode. I've only played into Act 2, tried a couple horde maps, done some rounds of warzone and team deathmatch or whatever, and that's probably logged me 15 hours already. Everything is across the board solid, and the online play seems to run like a dream, lag free.

Just finished the campaign on casual solo. Time to start that insanity run... The game got better towards the end with higher amount of fighting per cut-scenes. :p The boss fights as a whole were a lot better than in Gears 2.

Still no explanation about the queen's apparent humanity. Oh well. I'm happy with the explanation about the locust involvement and the lambent problem. Carmine. :love:

No end-of-credit bonus scene or anything, so just quit when the last cut-scene plays folks. Save yourself the time. :p

[3D]The UI in 3D is so unbelievably awful and I don't mean just a little bad, I truly mean awful. I'm going to drop to 720 and see if that is a demonstrable difference. SBS isn't one of my favorites anyway but man so disappointing. The depth is relatively decent but I played from my furthest seating distance so I'll get closer in my next session to see if it gets better. EDIT: Completely forgetting that 720p SBS is not a standard I can't trick my projector into playing it in 720p...[/3D]

Something seems off about the game for me it hasn't pulled me in like the prior titles but this is my first time playing solo as well (just trying to unlock insane before going co-op). I haven't found my preferred sensitivity settings yet so that could be it but I don't know...I'll need to put Gears 1 or 2 in to see what I think about any upgrade in visuals. I think I might be experiencing a screen size issue which tends to magnify flaws, especially from my close seating, such that I don't really find it all the good looking. I'm only in ACT 1 so that may have something to do with it as well but so far nothing really feels intense (besides beast mode in single player).

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed someone on Neogaf nailed what I bet the single player DLC will be. When Griffin leaves and says we'll finish this later, yeah, perfect spot for self contained campaign DLC.

(just trying to unlock insane before going co-op)

The sad thing is that, I was playing local coop with somebody last night, and though I've beat the game on hardcore and insane was unlocked for me, it appeared NOT to be unlocked for him (as his gamertag hasn't beat the game on hardcore yet). And remember now Gears 3 has the ability to have separate difficulty levels in coop. In other words he was only able to play on hardcore, while i could play on insane, which was a little annoying as at first i tended to die a lot. Though after a bit the game appeared to be as easy as ever again.

I also noticed no 2nd player piggybacking as "guest" in local split screen multiplayer again. Both players must have Live gold. Booo.

Also, with so many abilities and modes, online and offline, the menus are a confusing maze just like Reach. Honestly I bet some casuals cant decipher them and are turned away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no explanation about the queen's apparent humanity.

I dunno, maybe saving it for Gears 4. Somebody on Neogaf thinks she's Marcus mother. I like that one spread it around :p

BTW I must commend the ending, it actually felt satisfying and final, not like a many botched Halo and other games endings (and Gears 2 I suppose). And they didn't leave an obvious, needless "too be continued" hook either like most games, kudos. We all know there's a Gears 4 (on Xbox 720 :p ), not need to point it out.

Has any other game display the same quality of HDR in a part of the last act? I am talking about bright sunlight lighting up the interior of a dark building. It looked better than any implementation I've seen thus far in all the games I played, including PC games. I know it's baked, but that part is both a technological and artistic triumph.

It looks impressive until you realize that it's just a long scripted set piece where your on rails. Try interacting with the environment by firing your missiles into the ocean floor and nothing even happens. It's like it's not even there with no debris rising up.

Well there's so much these consoles can do...

Yeah I don't know how to share cash either but we got upto level 38 on horde last night before fatigue set in.

sharing cash in horde mode?? we played yesterday night together up to level 49...but then it was 4 o'clock in the morning and those lamers wanted to sleep :mrgreen:

just go up to your buddy, point to him, and then you get the option to share ammo and share money (press B button to share money, each time you hit the button you transfer $500 to your buddy)

Finished Horde on Overpass with three randoms. zomg Had to retry wave 50 about 10 times. Pretty awesome game. I just manned the two turrets up top almost the entire game. One of the guys had the silverback several times for quite awhile. The bosses rotated between berserker to brumak to gunker. Man that was intense. Finally beat it against gunkers. I was the only one that died that last time (about halfway through the wave too, but at least helped to take down two of the gunker). :p Damn.

Maxed out fences @ level 8, so I guess I'll work on leveling up turrets :devilish:

Sooo no Horde splitscreen without both members being XBL.:???:

Are you sure about that? I was goofing around and fired up some horde mode split screen (only 1 xbl account), I didn't get the impression it would have prevented me from inviting people online. Perhaps you have to host if you want to do that, or maybe you can only do private games? But certainly not impossible to play hordemode in split without both being xbl gold members.

Has any other game display the same quality of HDR in a part of the last act? I am talking about bright sunlight lighting up the interior of a dark building. It looked better than any implementation I've seen thus far in all the games I played, including PC games. I know it's baked, but that part is both a technological and artistic triumph.

I dont think the game has HDR lighting.

Finally got it.
Playing it on campaign..currently on Act 1 chapter 3-ish.

Controls feel a little different than 1/2. Could be it's because I haven't played Gears in a while.

I keep getting disconnected from Live. I may have to fiddle with my new router settings as it does not seem to like my old port forwarding from my old router.

Back