Best graphics in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2 easily. UC2 is not cartoonish IMO. It looks strikingly real in places

ACII has nice graphics sort of but it has less detail and barely any physics if there is any at all.

VGA is tonight - it'll be interesting to see who wins best graphics there as it's mostly based on voting, right?

No idea, but can probably get a sense from their past awards. If they are using purely Internet voting, then ahem...

[size=-2]EDIT: Actually Laa-Yosh, did you look at MLB The Show 2009 ? Was wondering what're your comments on it.[/size]

I don't think there's any question that MW2 will win pretty much everything unless editors are picking GOTY. Anything that has "voting" is obviously going to go to the sales blockbuster for each respective category.

[size=-2]EDIT: Actually Laa-Yosh, did you look at MLB The Show 2009 ? Was wondering what're your comments on it.[/size]

Sorry, I don't know what that is ;) Hmm, baseball game on PS3? Will check later, have to catch a birthday party tonight ;)

most visually/technically pleasing titles i've played this year (consoles only):

ps3:

* kz2 - really good use of deferred shading.
* flower - most organic-feeling vegetation simulation i've had the please to touch in years

wii:

* muramasa the demon blade: the only game this year that i'd call visual art.
* dead space extraction: one of the best-looking titles on the wii, atmospheric and technically sound

Thread mass pruned. This is a casual, light-hearted thread where people suggested their own favourites. No need to bring up platform bias (other than observation of limited experiences to choose from) and certainly not member bias.

Has to be either Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2....cant see how MW2 can be nominated..
Uncharted 2 wows me more when im playing the game, while KZ2 wows me more when im viewing someone else playing....weird but true. :D

Could it be because one is a third person view game, which requires you to scan the environment frequently for platform grips... while the other is an FPS, which requires you to zoom into specific danger while playing ?

So we "use" the environment differently. In KZ2 MP, sometimes, I'd find a safe spot to take in the whole picture (to my detriment of course). e.g., After clearing a high ground, I'd stop and watch other people below me fight. The KZ2 MP maps have a lot of verticality in them.

That is why I am curious in Laa-Yosh's response to MLB The Show 2009. That game is 60fps, 1080p and seems to take the "realistic" lighting and animation approach too. We only got 2-3 mentions so far although it is also an impressive game visually.

EDIT:
UC2 won best graphics as it should. argument over :p

http://www.platformnation.com/2009/12/13/2009-vgas-winners/

Best Voice in a Video Game: Jack Black as Eddie Riggs in Brutal Legend
Best Cast: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Best Performance by a Human Male: Hugh Jackman in X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Best Performance by a Human Female: Megan Fox in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Best Indie Game Fueled by Dew: Flower
Best Downloadable Game: Shadow Complex
Best Downloadable Content: GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony
Best Graphics: Uncharted 2
Best Soundtrack: DJ Hero
Best Original Score: Halo 3: ODST
Best Game Based on a Movie or TV Show: South Park: Let’s Go Tower Defense Play
Best Multiplayer Game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Best Action/Adventure: Assassin’s Creed 2
Best Driving Game: Forza Motorsport 3
Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter 4
Best Music Game: Beatles Rock Band
Best RPG: Dragon Age: Origins
Best Shooter: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Best Team Sports Game NHL 10
Best Individual Sports Game: UFC 2009 Undisputed
Studio of the Year: Rocksteady Studios for Batman: Arkham Asylum
Best PlayStation 3 Game: Uncharted 2
Best Wii Game: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Best Xbox 360 Game: Left 4 Dead 2
Best Handheld Game: GTA: Chinatown Wars
Best PC Game: Dragon Age Origins
Most Anticipated Game: God of War 3
Game of the Year: Uncharted 2

While frame rate can be imporant, anytime I'm standing still I find MW2 to be average to below average looking. All of the sniper missions really brought out the worst in the game, and showed off a ton of low res textures.

Honestly, it's jarring to go from an insanely detailed vehicle, then jump out, run into a garage, and see what resembles a PS2 level vehicle model from a Sims game. The frame rate, at that point, stops really having an impact on the visuals.

While frame rate can be imporant, anytime I'm standing still I find MW2 to be average to below average looking. All of the sniper missions really brought out the worst in the game, and showed off a ton of low res textures.

Honestly, it's jarring to go from an insanely detailed vehicle, then jump out, run into a garage, and see what resembles a PS2 level vehicle model from a Sims game. The frame rate, at that point, stops really having an impact on the visuals.

Hyperbole aside (big eye roll) you can find low quality assets in every game. The majority of the game is very fast paced with a lot of post processing. Further the game demonstrates a ton of asset variety (e.g. note the dozen or so settings with complete customization of character loadouts). The game also isn't nearly as linear as CoD4 and has a ton of enemies on screen on a number of occasions.

Getting a couple dozens well animated characters on screen (with a large variety in character models) at around 60Hz plus all the other stuff they are doing isn't easy. Downplaying it through hyperbole isn't really a strong argument.

Would "downplaying" be what people seem to be doing with MLB 09: The Show (native 1080p, 60fps, impressive lighting, animations, etc)? If not, what would that be called? I'm just wondering.

Would "downplaying" be what people seem to be doing with MLB 09: The Show (native 1080p, 60fps, impressive lighting, animations, etc)? If not, what would that be called? I'm just wondering.

Its a sports game. Gonna be hard to get ppls attention on that honestly, but yes it looks good

mlb091.jpg

mlb092.jpg

785.jpg

783.jpg

MW2 looks good but not good enough. 60fps is not graphics, its a gameplay feature so sorry if thats important to you.

Graphics is something you sacrifice for framerate and vice versa, doesn't mean ppl will perceive a game as looking better with 60fps vs 30fps. Take a still pic and framerate makes no difference to how the game looks.

I wasn't comparing anything, that sports game was being mentioned by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back