Best graphics in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, those particular GIFs don't seem to show anything of particular note.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about...those GIFs really click with me and immediately want me to check out the game...which seems not the case for you

I remember that you choose RE5 for best graphics 2009...although I think that this game looks really good (even the PS3 version which I played) it is my turn to say that I did not see anything of particular note (
maybe except the chase scene with the motor cycles, which makes me wow, but on the otherhand was heavily scripted
).
For instance people say that the main character in RE5 is brilliant...although the character looks somehow really good...imo he is just a typically steroid monster which makes it even more funny that he cannot make two things at the same time (walk and aim, shoot :) ). Compare this to the characters in Killzone 2 (sans the wo-men who looks really creepy), they look just normal, and for me, more believable, especially if you see them in motion, i.e. the character animations are better if you ask me.

But thinking about it...a good thing for us gamer is that everyone has a different taste, which guarantees that devs are forced to try and bring something new on the table to impress us :mrgreen:

I remember that you choose RE5 for best graphics 2009...although I think that this game looks really good (even the PS3 version which I played) it is my turn to say that I did not see anything of particular note
It's true that nothing particulary shines by itself, what I like is the whole package. Art direction, lighting, models, texturing, animation, post processing effects, etc...

For instance people say that the main character in RE5 is brilliant...although the character looks somehow really good...imo he is just a typically steroid monster which makes it even more funny that he cannot make two things at the same time (walk and aim, shoot :) ). Compare this to the characters in Killzone 2 (sans the wo-men who looks really creepy), they look just normal, and for me, more believable, especially if you see them in motion,
I don't understand what a gameplay mechanic has to do with graphics, but ok :p

i.e. the character animations are better if you ask me.
Actually that's what I think is best in RE5, even better than KZ2 and U2. Transitions between animations are far superior in both of those games, but the actual base animations are much better realized in RE5.

Or just being in proper HD with more than the 256 colors that GIF allows, on a proper LCD screen with a nice contrast level ...
I've seen that scene on HD, on a CRT monitor, and of course it doesn't look bad at all, but using HDR would definitely be an improvement.

Actually that's what I think is best in RE5, even better than KZ2 and U2. Transitions between animations are far superior in both of those games, but the actual base animations are much better realized in RE5.

In KZ2, the animation is tied to the smart enemy AI and the weapons. On the battlefield, "everything" flows fluidly and tightly with pyro effects behind them, and lens flare effect in front of them, like the "Ballet of Death" video. They are rather varied and dramatic.

I can understand why some posters complain about "Too much effects" :)

When I play KZ2, I find myself charging at the enemies more often to see these effects (and to surpress the spawning). I die more often too, but I can see the Higs up close and personal that way. Sometimes, they would path find to me in unexpected way, so it's definitely not like the static scenes in Billy Idol's post. I replayed some KZ2 chapters last week, the partial environment damage also adds to the visual experience as you see shards of stuff fly off (to show the internal structures). All these eye-candies happen as you "dance" with the enemies in the middle of a gunfight.

This is one scene that could definately benefit if it used HDR.
Sure, HDR would make things look better but I can also argue every game needs a patch of things here and there too and no game has everything even though Crysis comes damn close to it. The point is you if you judge it on a whole package Killzone 2 with or without HDR still rise above the rest IMO.

First of all hello and Happy New Year!

Now back to the topic..the best looking games this year IMO are:

1. Uncharted 2
  2. Resident Evil 5
  3. Assassin's Creed 2
Next year looks even better for both systems.

MW2 hands down, attention to details is amazing, animation is great and epic scale whats going on screen is beyond everything else.

cheers

Sure, HDR would make things look better but I can also argue every game needs a patch of things here and there too and no game has everything even though Crysis comes damn close to it. The point is you if you judge it on a whole package Killzone 2 with or without HDR still rise above the rest IMO.

A couple of pages back some people where basically saying HDR is useless. That's why I provided an example of where it wouldn't be useless.

Don't be so touchy ;)

A couple of pages back some people where basically saying HDR is useless. That's why I provided an example of where it wouldn't be useless.

Don't be so touchy ;)
It's not like they don't have a point there, the engine faked HDR with Bloom effects and the end result is convincing enough, of course true HDR wouldn't hurt either. Again, the whole package counts and I think that's they would all agree on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back