Best graphics in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually very unimpressed with Killzone 2's graphics when I picked it up. It was actually one of the least visually inspiring games of the year in terms of wanting to keep playing to see what was around the corner... so much grey and brown just made me disinterested. In a word I'd call the game uninspiring visually, though I can appreciate the technical side of what it is doing. One of these situations where it just demonstrates how great art > great tech.

I haven't played U2 yet (though it has shipped!) so I can't comment there but it does look sublime from screenies.

My vote goes to AC2. The product of the scale and quality of the visuals is astounding. Doing some of the tombs and climbing up to see a stunning stained glass window with light seeping through, while I can look 100ft to the ground and have the walls at that level look so good... it just floored me. The characters aren't amazingly detailed but given how much is on screen at any point in time it's no wonder.

Runners up would be:

• Batman: AA for similar reasons to AC2, though to a much lesser extent
  • Wipeout HD Fury - that counts, right? Such a great, fast engine, full HD (most of the time) and it's 60fps... something that's so easily glossed over these days. And it's so flexible - flipping my ship around and having everyone coming straight at me without missing a beat is pure sultry eye candy.
  • LBP GOTY (counts?) - I love the idea of customisation on top of great looking out-of-the-box visuals
  • RE5 - great characters, though Framework as always been pretty tops
One thing I missed this year was stunning 2D HD visuals. Last year there were a few crisp 2D games, though from memory I don't think I picked any up this year

...One of these situations where it just demonstrates how great art > great tech.

Does it really? id say it simply demonstrates peoples difference in taste.

KZ2 is impresive to me because its tech enabled its unique artistic vision, whether that artitic vision is to an individuals taste or not.

I was actually very unimpressed with Killzone 2's graphics when I picked it up. It was actually one of the least visually inspiring games of the year in terms of wanting to keep playing to see what was around the corner... so much grey and brown just made me disinterested. In a word I'd call the game uninspiring visually, though I can appreciate the technical side of what it is doing. One of these situations where it just demonstrates how great art > great tech.

I did ponder over KZ2's subdue look vs U2's vibrant painting style. Flipflopped a few times. Decided that if the photography industry can appreciate B&W photos, why not in a game ? Lack of color doesn't mean lack of art (There are art forms without colors). The toned down colors also made me more aware of the lighting they used (e.g., The Helghans' eyes cast light on the wall).

As for inspirations.... I actually think that the "dancing light" filter (lens flare) is an innovative way to add colors to the dull Helghast world. The rain, thick fog, smoke gave the scenes further layers/depth. If people are talking about enemy waves, explosions, flying bullets, debris, vehicles, smoke, space ships, mecha, etc. then you can find them in the large KZ2 battlefields, and MP. The KZ2 world is desolate but not dead.

I guess they can go after Halo's brilliant purple, green alien environment, but I don't think it will necessary enhance the look. It would certainly give it a different feel.

IMHO, the only clear flaw in KZ2 is the Evelyn screen shots ([size=-2]Thanks Laa-Yosh ![/size]). I forgot how she looked in-game, but I almost rated U2 higher because of bad Evelyn pictures on the net (:love: Elena).

What a distorted version of "graphics" people have. Sure, some of those "games" have nice still shot slideshows! But in terms of graphics--visuals and motion--they are teh losers! Just shows why pubs endorse 30Hz: you all play slideshows--real men ante up for 60Hz. 8)

Hence:

Trials HD -- 60Hz
MW2 -- 60Hz
FM3 -- 60Hz

So enjoy the slideshows boys, real men play 60Hz!

And don't bother arguing with my opinion, if you prefer 30fps that means you are blind and couldn't see good graphics even if it leaped out from your TV and poked you in the eye!

I got into that argument earlier today after reading about a so-called "HDR" mod for World of Warcraft. It's literally just a bloom filter and people are acting like it's the second coming or something.

Unfortunately, my console play has been drastically reduced of late. My PS3 died, and my X360 has been pretty much Forza 3. Which is nice, for sure, and 60fps to boot, but it's nothing earth-shattering. I completely missed out on both KZ2 and Uncharted 2, and I'm holding out for the PC version of Assassin's Creed 2.

God damn, I was waiting for someone to mention a small game (any small game ! XBLA or PSN). The small guys usually get left out.

I mentioned both Critter Crunch and Braid as 2 of my most impressive games this year :( (even though this is my second time purchasing Braid, lol).

What a distorted version of "graphics" people have. Sure, some of those "games" have nice still shot slideshows! But in terms of graphics--visuals and motion--they are teh losers! Just shows why pubs endorse 30Hz: you all play slideshows--real men ante up for 60Hz. 8)

Hence:

Trials HD -- 60Hz
MW2 -- 60Hz
FM3 -- 60Hz

As an aside, didn't DF show that MW2 doesn't actually maintain the 60hz claim to fame of the original?

I mentioned both Critter Crunch and Braid as 2 of my most impressive games this year :( (even though this is my second time purchasing Braid, lol).

Ha ha, sorry sorry. I skim through posts quickly these days. The small-developer-friendly poster award goes to you then. :p

KZ2 for me

There's just no other game that provided me with such unique look and feel, and it's amazing to see how KZ2's visual shines even more after playing other supposedly good looking games such as U2 & MW2 etc.

U2 didn't impressive me much, as there's nothing new about it. It's the same old tech, just executed better in every way.

I'd pick GOW3 demo as the second most visually impressive game I've seen this year. Can't wait to see the full game.

And an honorable mention goes to Flower for its artistic design. The game is just beautiful.
I agree... I would put the GoWIII demo second on my list -- although, behind UC2 and ahead of KZ2.

It's not a problem as long as the spirit of the thread is understood.

But that's implied; not just in the nature in the thread, but in the nature of all human debate. We can only offer ideas based on our experiences and learning, which may suffer from significant holes that we may not even be aware of. Explicitly stating caveats strikes me as polical correctness gone mad, like all these dumb disclaimers saying an individual giving their individual opinion doesn't represent an organistion at large.

No-one on this board or anywhere in the world can specify a scientific, fully considered answer to the Best Graphics question. The data isn't available for the technical considerations, while the subjective matters are unquantifiable.

The problem is that most video game threads have gamers talking about games that haven't come out - and many tend to base their impressions on videos and state emphatically that this game or that has better graphics than the other even if they haven't seen it first hand.

As for the second bolded point - I think we can get pretty close. I'm sure we all have check list of dream graphical features, or things that need to be done well for the graphics to be considered the best. There's no doubt Crysis is the best looking PC game...which means there must be an objective list of things it does.

We could, if we wanted and had the time, create these lists and the one with the most check boxes wins. :) Still...we could get a winner we won't agree on when it's as close as U2 and KZ2.

And don't bother arguing with my opinion, if you prefer 30fps that means you are blind and couldn't see good graphics even if it leaped out from your TV and poked you in the eye!

I'd actually drink to that. Great argument. I'd be one to put framerate as a factor above all others, but unfortunately, the majority of games this gen so far limits my choice in this area. In fact, besides the PSN games, MW2 and R&C:ACiT are the only 60 fps games I've played this year.

Playability wise, MW2 (compared to KZ2) is in its own league. There's just no way any 30 fps can match up. Graphics wise IMO, I think there are a few more factors that play together though - AI, amount of action/effects on screen, perhaps even effective resolution, framerate, size of levels etc. The reason I mentioned KZ2 ove MW2 as a contender is because overal, I am more impressed with it. MW2 is not any different than what I played last year in WaW and MW1 the year before. Same engine, same spectacle in that sense. I would also argue that despite the 60 fps in MW2, they did quite a few tradeoffs to achieve that - less players on screen (max 18), sub HD resolution, texture detail, scripted AI, less effects and less dynamic gameplay.

This isn't supposed to be a negative point towards MW2 though. MW2 looks and feels very realistic and authentic - to the extend that I at times during the campaign wondered if this is still entertainment (but that's another topic). The lighting though less dynamic is very believable and you can tell they went for the upper realistic art-direction opposed to KZ2. I also don't mind the scripted AI - it just fits for the kind of game it is and I wouldn't want it any different.

As for the second bolded point - I think we can get pretty close. I'm sure we all have check list of dream graphical features, or things that need to be done well for the graphics to be considered the best.

I don't.

It's the overall effect that the visuals (including their scope and responsiveness) have on the end user that matters, and that's impossible to judge using a features checklist.

There's no doubt Crysis is the best looking PC game...which means there must be an objective list of things it does.

Once you take performance and artistic style into account, the field of best PC graphics is wide open.

Interesting difference between PC and console:
- Console game has low frame rate, people say the graphics suck.
- PC game has low frame rate, people say the graphics are awesome, and buy a new graphics card. Unless it's a multiplatform game, in which case the graphics suck.

Hence:

Trials HD -- 60Hz
MW2 -- 60Hz
FM3 -- 60Hz

I know a lot of this post is tongue in cheek, but do you not watch any movies or TV shows? :p

The Mario post was tongue-in-cheek, but come to think of it, the only 2009 games I've played are FEAR 2 and NSMB Wii...and I think NSMB Wii is prettier. FEAR 2 is just very uninteresting most of the time, despite OMG NORMAL MAPS.

Uncharted 2 looked great but it's done in a very controlled enviornment. Overall, I'd have to give it to AC2. The scale of the cities and how alive they are is really awesome. I'm a sucker for scale.

Uncharted 2 looked great but it's done in a very controlled enviornment. Overall, I'd have to give it to AC2. The scale of the cities and how alive they are is really awesome. I'm a sucker for scale.

Well Uncharted 2 succeeded in every area that other similar games failed ;)

I know a lot of this post is tongue in cheek, but do you not watch any movies or TV shows?
A better comparison would be that 30hz game halo3 (since its the best thing since sliced bread ;) )

Wow, it's kinda interesting to see UC2 and AC2 compared for various reasons... They're basically the two ends of the spectrum of possible compromises regarding graphics. It's also interesting that for all the freedom in roaming the environment and solving individual 'quests', AC2 is still a pretty linear game as well, emphasizing skill over brains. So it's actually more similar to UC2 then one would first think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back