[360, PS3] Crysis 2

They should have hired more voice actors for regular soldiers for this game. I lost track of how many times I've killed a guy that sound like the Sarge from Bad Company.

Should have rewritten the story so that cell soldier were cloned/genetic enhanced soldier would explain the same voice.:LOL:

Edit:Hope they keep Crysis 3 for next gen consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished it, it's a sprawling monster of a campaign. Not totally sure how I feel, whether I think it's great or just really good. I think it's probably in the top 3 of my favorite game this gen, along with Gears 1 and Reach. Where exactly I'm not sure.

Pop in was well, massive. Of course lighting was just gorgeous though, especially on say, Unsafe Haven. At times it's just sublimely gorgeous. Fire effects are also a high point.

Wish we could see some better endings, I prefer an end boss, preferably a very graphically impressive end boss, and most games now seem to follow the Halo approach of not having an end boss...it's almost a total cliche now imo, gets a bit boring.

The game does a very good job of the old "dark oppressive levels, followed by bright sunny levels" pattern, which always tends to wow graphically and change things up. A simple major color pallet change can really provide a lot of variety in any game.

Also the game does good vehicle sections, as they arent so horribly annoying as 99% of vehicle segments in most games. Heck the last one in the tank on autopilot is even gasp, fun.

I honestly did not notice the bad framerate dipping to ~16 in some firefights, until i read the DF review after I completed the game (being on media blackout). I guess I'm just that insensitive to framerate. Really did not bother me.

As in most FPS, I wouldn't have minded a bit more enemy variety, it's basically the same 6-7 enemy types throughout the entire game. Regular alien, strong red alien, alien heavy, pinger, over and over.

Another issue imo, is the weapons, in that basically the sniper rifle is probably by far the best gun in the campaign. Say, sniper rifle/M60 combo is the best for the whole game, but this gets a little boring. It got so that 3/4 of the way through I started forcing myself to use anything but those two guns, just to feel like I experienced more of the game. However this usually just made the game harder. And I got in a situation late in the game, where I got "stuck" with the gauss cannon and grendel as my weapons after a checkpoint, and both dont carry much ammo, so I kept running out of ammo on that section a few times in a row. And that made me just wish I had never switched off the sniper/M60. The guass cannon for example should be the alpha gun in the game imo, yet it's ammo is so limited it's fairly useless. Same goes for the microwave gun and some others. I like to feel a weapons progression, instead of 1/3 through the game I have the best weapons in the whole game...

But I had one weird graphical issue, in that I experience some faint but definite green "snow" type artifact. Typically in the skies. For example an easy place to see this for me is look at the sky/moon in "Unsafe Haven" (although the sky has this artifact in several levels at least). I got this effect on two monitors so it's not the monitor. At first I thought my 360 GPU might actually be going, but the rest of the game typically seems ok as do a couple other games I tried. Anybody else see this?

But I had one weird graphical issue, in that I experience some faint but definite green "snow" type artifact. Typically in the skies. For example an easy place to see this for me is look at the sky/moon in "Unsafe Haven" (although the sky has this artifact in several levels at least). I got this effect on two monitors so it's not the monitor. At first I thought my 360 GPU might actually be going, but the rest of the game typically seems ok as do a couple other games I tried. Anybody else see this?

Had the same thing not sure what the name of the level was but it was the one with the rain and dark i believe you have to protect the vitol aircraft just before you use your suit on the first spiral. I thought it was my tv first.:oops:

Just beat the game on the 360. Great game overall but I think its highly overrated on the 360 how its superior to the PS3. There's isn't that much different to the naked eyes and each has their own strenght and weakness. See LOT analysis...

Honestly, beside what it can do technically, but visually its not that great. The texture details are very inconsistent. Some level has great textures, and others are just down right low res especially on building walls. Its in question if C2 is even better then Killzone 3 graphically. From what I remembered, KZ3 had great texture, lighting and particle effects through out most part of the game.

I was a little disappointed that most of the game levels was on rails despite what people may say. The first half was more open and after that it was all linear.

I guess I was expecting mind blowing considering the hype for its graphics alone and the positive user impression.

Hmm. I'm not sure what to think of C2 just yet (as a game).

I'm finding that so far I'm just staying cloaked, and running about neck punching everyone. Heck, I've completed a couple of missions without killing anyone. However I don't feel like I'm playing it properly (it doesn't feel like it's setup to be played like this). It should be satisfying, but somehow it just isn't...

Also I've encountered a lot of bugs.

One on mission, I somehow got into a state where all the enemies in a certain area (about 7 of them) were infinitely respawning. I neck punched a guy, only to watch him respawn 5m in front of me. So I repeated the neck punch at least 6 or 7 times. I was getting shot and seen through walls and the ground as well. I suspect something broke badly. Most of the AI just stood around, blissfully ignorant of me and my neck punching (then again, that seems to happen a lot).
By the time I died there were perhaps 30+ bodies lying about. The frame rate was appalling :mrgreen:

Also if you you neck punch an enemy while he is rappelling down a rope, his body will float back up to the top of the rope, then fall back down :devilish:

[edit]
and now I just had a 'no gun' bug, with hands holding an invisible gun. After which the game wouldn't reload (just stuck on the loading screen)....

Just beat the game on the 360. Great game overall but I think its highly overrated on the 360 how its superior to the PS3. There's isn't that much different to the naked eyes and each has their own strenght and weakness. See LOT analysis...

Honestly, beside what it can do technically, but visually its not that great. The texture details are very inconsistent. Some level has great textures, and others are just down right low res especially on building walls. Its in question if C2 is even better then Killzone 3 graphically. From what I remembered, KZ3 had great texture, lighting and particle effects through out most part of the game.

I was a little disappointed that most of the game levels was on rails despite what people may say. The first half was more open and after that it was all linear.

I guess I was expecting mind blowing considering the hype for its graphics alone and the positive user impression.
They do pretty much look the same. The only site that said otherwise, was IGN.

As for KZ3 vs C2, I just played both games back to back and the textures IMO and equally good. Each game has their advantages though; to my untrained eye, KZ3 is much sharper, has better AA and has a much better framerate. C2 has better lighting (although KZ3 is no slouch), better water and fire effects, and most of the levels aren't as linear. There's a few things that hurt it though... the framerate isn't as solid and there's a lot of pop in and some graphical glitches. Still think it's equally as impressive as KZ3, and I personally like the game itself a little better.

Just completed the game last night, gotta say Crytek has done this console gen a BIG favor of delivering a very long campaign experience with pretty graphics to boot. Honestly I haven't had a meaty campaign like this since Half life 2. Now the graphics for most part looked great and even blown my mind off at some instances such as the
collapsing bridge and falling building at central station
. I found other places to be very inconsistent and mostly interior sections, the poor AA and resolution deficiency really hurt the game at times. The framerate in the first half was very unstable especially during gun fights, playing kz3 afterward was almost like a 45fps experience.
While the Pinger served well for a nice boss fight though that's about it for the rest of the game, all those tie I was hoping for a really epic sized boss to come up since Crysis 1 and Warhead delivered them in spades! Overall I enjoyed the many amazing set pieces in the game, only thing I didn't 100% get was the ending though. Gonna have to look up the forum for more analysis:).

Played through a fair bit last night. So far there haven't been any stop and stare moments, it feels slick and the detail is just enough to make the immersion work whilst you are moving. It kind of breaks though if you stop and look at things to closely especially indoors.

I still not sure about the game itself, it still feels very generic and far more on rails than C1. Though that, in part, is down to the limited resources they are working with. Would be nice to have a more open world version on the PC. Having just finished KZ3, Bulletstorm, and Homefront, the game play feels a little flat. I think I should have left it another week or so before I started playing it!

Halfway point, and peeps were certainly right when they mentioned the PS3 performance picking up. Hitting 30fps 95% of the time which is really cool. Just a pity they couldn't of done something for the 1st half. Enjoying the game so far, but as someone pointed out above, there are not really any stop and stare moments, not to say it not a looker of course, but its a looker in different ways. Its certainly not what i would call a corridor shooter, yes theres an end objective/exit, but theres a very wide open space inbetween with 3 or so paths available, so plenty of scope to roam. It's clear Crytek have tried very hard to make each level as open as possible as clearly fans loved this aspect about the first game.

It seems like most of us are in agreement with some of the issues with this game.

1. Frame rate isn't too stellar but does pick up later on.

2. Visually looks good in most outdoor environment but is lacking in detail/texture inside of building. The trashed up underground subway looks awesome though.

3. Not as open as one might think. There's more rails and linear parts then there are large open areas.

4. You can argue that its a better game then Killzone 3, but KZ3 is a more polished game overall. Artistically is subjectable.

The good stuff:

1. Technically its has some of the best effects out there. Particle effects,lighting and background destruction.

2. Great campaign lenght which took me about 15hr to complete.

3. Probably this is the closes you gonna get to a PC capability within a console.

Again I only played the 360 version so I don't know if the above effects the PS3 version.

One more thing that I think Crytek nailed...Cutscenes.
Cutscenes in Crysis 2(along with HL2) are IMO best implanted in game.They never take you out of experience,its all in first person view and all are real time with no graphical enchantments in comparison with game play.As you can look around freely how you want I sometimes forgot its cut scene:smile:

All this comparison to KZ3 and any other game for that matter is toally pointless. To say that coming from C2 to KZ3 makes KZ3's framerate look like 45fps is also pointless. Its like saying that going from KZ3 to COD:BLOPS makes BLOPS's framerate to look like 75fps. You see how that sounds? Absolutely pointless, because we all know that these games use resource differently. You might prefer the look of KZ3 to C2 and that's fine, but to post on C2's thread comparing it to KZ3 is really really pointless. Saying that it KZ3 looks better than C2 is definitely not going to change the mind of anybody else who thinks that C2 looks better than KZ3. If you feel that KZ3 is the better looking game, you can go to the game's thread and post it there till your heart is content.

Seriously this is getting really silly.

One more thing that I think Crytek nailed...Cutscenes.
Cutscenes in Crysis 2(along with HL2) are IMO best implanted in game.They never take you out of experience,its all in first person view and all are real time with no graphical enchantments in comparison with game play.As you can look around freely how you want I sometimes forgot its cut scene:smile:

I'll add Crysis and Warhead to.

Halfway point, and peeps were certainly right when they mentioned the PS3 performance picking up. Hitting 30fps 95% of the time which is really cool. Just a pity they couldn't of done something for the 1st half.

I am playing PC version but assume it is same for console versions. As I progress further in game I just find the visuals to get better and better with better use of tech and design aswell as art direction.

I am playing PC version but assume it is same for console versions. As I progress further in game I just find the visuals to get better and better with better use of tech and design aswell as art direction.
Yap.Although,I didn't like last level but everything till than was absolutely stunning.From that level before dark heart(night one) till the end it just gets better and better.

Sempre Fi or Die was such a good design level and the once that came after,particularly night levels were gorgeous with Central Station being best looking thing I have seen on consoles.

You sounded hurt with a contradicting statement. We're allowed to voice and respect each other's opinion so what's your point again?

KZ3 and C2 are often being compared because both game uses the most resource out of the console, therefore considering them king of the crops for best graphic so far this generation. Absolutely nothing is wrong with that.

Instead of starting a KZ3 vs C2 thread, its more ideal to post in the more recent thread regarding the situation which right is the Crysis 2 main thread.

If you feel we're taking away Crysis 2's thunder by comparing it to other game(s) please head over to Teamxbox forum for more favorable C2 impression and opinion.

All this comparison to KZ3 and any other game for that matter is toally pointless. To say that coming from C2 to KZ3 makes KZ3's framerate look like 45fps is also pointless. Its like saying that going from KZ3 to COD:BLOPS makes BLOPS's framerate to look like 75fps. You see how that sounds? Absolutely pointless, because we all know that these games use resource differently. You might prefer the look of KZ3 to C2 and that's fine, but to post on C2's thread comparing it to KZ3 is really really pointless. Saying that it KZ3 looks better than C2 is definitely not going to change the mind of anybody else who thinks that C2 looks better than KZ3. If you feel that KZ3 is the better looking game, you can go to the game's thread and post it there till your heart is content.

Seriously this is getting really silly.

Hurt? why and how on earth can something said on a board hurt me? FYI I have both consoles, 2 of each actually. It is pointless and silly to compare two games to make your self feel better. It was, is and willy always be pointless and silly to do so when the thread is not dedicated to comparison.

Hurt, wow. Anyway I have said what I want to say regarding the matter.

I donno if its only the PS3 version as I haven't played the PC version much to confirm this, but I always noticed that something was happening whenever I switched on the armor mode, almost as if the game applied some movie like grainy filter for a split second, turns out the EdgeAA gets disabled for a tiny duration whenever I turn on the armor mode.

I don't understand why the framerate gets better later on? Poor optimization in the earlier levels?
Yea..infact the earlier levels have far less going on in terms of action.

Back