[360, PS3] Crysis 2

I don't mind baked lighting myself and think it's just fine. And until Crysis 2 came out I really didn't see the point in real time lighting versus baked lighting (and world shadows).

However, at least on PC, the lighting just makes this game feel so far ahead of anything else on PC that there isn't anything that can hold a candle to it currently. Pick up a light source and walk around and watch virtually everything in the world case a moving shadow that matches that light source. Or watch the birds and helicopter flying in the opening level casting what looks like volumetric shadow rays all correctly aligned to the sun. It's bloody amazing.

Perhaps the console version doesn't have that level of realtime lighting and that's why some on consoles aren't as impressed. But holy hell the realtime lighting in this game is just incredible at times. All other games now feel "flat" when I got into them.

Regards,
SB
Oh, the lighting is very similar to the PC version. As for realtime/baked in lighting, you have to understand that most of the reviewers do not have an understanding about the differences between both method nor do they even say so in the reviews, but yet most mention the lighting as a standout feature of the game's graphics.

All other games now feel "flat" when I got into them.

Yeah, I had the same kind of experience when going from Crysis 1 to other shooters. It's the moving shadows that gets me.

For the first iteration of CryENGINE 3 on consoles it's pretty impressive, IMO.

Also, what AA are they using in the PC version? Doesn't look like TAA at all, seems around the level of MLAA:
http://h-3.abload.de/img/2011-03-22_00003ldnx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After playing the campaign for the last 3+ hours, I can tell you it's not nearly bad as you make it sound here. Yes a random pop in, jaggy edge, sudden animation hiccup, or slight dip in frame rate will rear it's ugly head every once in a while but any small issue you may see is easily overshadowed by what they accomplished on consoles.

I'm never one to place any single game on a pedestal, but crysis is one of the best looking shooters out there IMO.

Good to know. To clarify, my assumptions are based purely on the recent vids. Also, im not in any way knocking Crytek, just select reviewers who seem to gloss over certain...aspects. Friday I will be able see EVERYTHING!

Played about an hour so far (ps3) and it's pretty fun... the game feels great as far as gameplay. I had some framerate problems in the second level (probably because I went Rambo and had a bunch of enemies shooting me :LOL:), but otherwise it's been a little better than I thought, and I heard the framerate is better later on.

Visually, it's very nice. So far there haven't been any parts that wowed me as much as in KZ3, but it's been consistently VERY good, and I'm not that far in at all.

Man can't wait i hope euro is tomorrow and not friday.
This game should keep me warm till Gears 3 beta and BF 3 beta(was it this summer?) starts.

I need to play those nighttime levels i heard about they are suppose to be beyond gorgeous.

Played a few hours on the 360 version, let's say I'm still waiting for something to kick it up a notch. Graphics are pretty nice especially the lighting, though jaggies are very noticeable at times, the sub HD feeling is quite apparent in some places specifically at a distance and many indoor areas. IQ is definitely not as good as a full 1280 x 720 game, maybe folks with smaller TVs don't notice much? Out of all things, I really like the more open and diverse routes that you can take, the level are quite big and full of details which explains the constant LOD switching, pop ins and stuttering fps. The game under the heat of battle simply didn't hold up well to me.
Overall I'm enjoying it but mind was not blown away yet.

Just wanted to get some details:
Campaign is roughly 10-15hrs?
Multiplayer is 6vs6 or more?
360 version >>> ps3?
Is the game any good, gameplay, story, etc?

Trying to decide if I should get it on 360, I currently don't have gold for Live.

I must said not seem so... obviously I'm talking from what I have seen on the net & of course if we don't talking only of pixels number... just curios about the fps difference... I hope to see good things on the ps3, because after so good comparison, a lot worsen fps could be kill my expectations.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Feelsgoodman. What a leap for console graphics, the bar has been upped a lot for a new standard. I wonder though if any new console game will ever match it until nextgen arrives.

Are you 100% sure those shots are from console? Look like PC shots to me. Its mentoned they are 360 shots, but i can see the bloom on the HUD elements, which i dont believe the 360 version has? :???:

Are you 100% sure those shots are from console? Look like PC shots to me. Its mentoned they are 360 shots, but i can see the bloom on the HUD elements, which i dont believe the 360 version has? :???:

Me too I'm not soo sured if it is about 360 version... it seem too clears & the colours palette too bright, but I could easily wrong. Ok nevermind.

Sounds like it. Certainly a big step above the PS3 version i have played, and above screenshots ive seen previously from 360 in terms of IQ. Gonna have to try and sort my 360 out soon me think! :D

Back