[360, PS3] Crysis 2

Whats interesting is that only the 360 IGN review proclaims such greatness, but fails to mention problems like they mention in the PS3 review. Clearly both have their faults, to mention one and not the other is a wee bit amateurish. Gamespot at least goes into detail about the iffy side of the visuals.

Ah, Arthur Gies...makes sense now. 8)

Erm, actually a lot of the reviews acknowledges the game as the best looking or quite possibly the best looking and most impressive game on consoles.

E.g: CVG, Videogamer, Eurogamer, 1UP, GamesRadar, etc. So this is not a proclamation made just by IGN alone.

"It’s not leaps and bounds ahead of other graphical heavyweights, but it’s probably just a bit more polished"

Funny stuff from Games Rader. Polished?! It may dazzle, but polished it aint.

"It’s not leaps and bounds ahead of other graphical heavyweights, but it’s probably just a bit more polished"

Funny stuff from Games Rader. Polished?! It may dazzle, but polished it aint.

You can't really fight realism with any other art style.

You can't really fight realism with any other art style.

What?!

Not exactly polished running sub hd, inconsitent framerate, bad LOD pop-in. I said it before and i'll say it again, Crytek should of aimed for 30fps 720P solid instead of throwing the kitchen sink at it.

just played the opening sequence on my 360....WOW, internet videos or screens don't even do this game justice.

stunning

just played the opening sequence on my 360....WOW, internet videos or screens don't even do this game justice.

stunning

Shoddy captures are shoddy. :p Well, I'm sure the frame reprojection doesn't help either as they need to be still in order for IQ to be clean.

Shopto says my order is processing, its no longer displayed under the pre-order tab.
Does this means I'll have the game with me soon-ish?

Multiplayer maps are so much better than skyline...oh my at Lighthouse...

one thing often overlooked is how FAST the game renders everything as you traverse through the environment extremely quickly. vertically, all around, it's brilliant how well it moves.

Amazon has a good deal going. $53.99+$10GC. Based on the good reviews and that price, I place my order. Seems like the SP is really well done. That's a rare thing for shooters these days.

What?!

Not exactly polished running sub hd, inconsitent framerate, bad LOD pop-in. I said it before and i'll say it again, Crytek should of aimed for 30fps 720P solid instead of throwing the kitchen sink at it.

After playing the campaign for the last 3+ hours, I can tell you it's not nearly bad as you make it sound here. Yes a random pop in, jaggy edge, sudden animation hiccup, or slight dip in frame rate will rear it's ugly head every once in a while but any small issue you may see is easily overshadowed by what they accomplished on consoles.

I'm never one to place any single game on a pedestal, but crysis is one of the best looking shooters out there IMO.

btw in Xbox 360 or PS3, how the config stored?
can Crysis 2 in xbox config is edited to allow more custom graphic option by editing the CVAR ?

in Left 4 Dead xbox 360, i can just copy the game settings to PC, unpack it from CON and there will be editeable values.

or its just there on HDD.... i cant really remember the file format, but its editable from PC in L4D case.

wondering about crysis 2...
but i cant test it myself because i wont buy the xbox version, will get the PC version :D (cheaper)

Apparently if you have a 1080p TV, this game will run in 1080p mode. So it could be that you're seeing different image quality and framerates if your running 720p vs if you're running 1080p. Has anyone checked this yet?

Yeah, after looking at some youtube videos, I may have to revise my former stance on image quality sacrifices vs content. There seems to be a lot of quite impressive stuff in this game.

After playing the campaign for the last 3+ hours, I can tell you it's not nearly bad as you make it sound here. Yes a random pop in, jaggy edge, sudden animation hiccup, or slight dip in frame rate will rear it's ugly head every once in a while but any small issue you may see is easily overshadowed by what they accomplished on consoles.

I'm never one to place any single game on a pedestal, but crysis is one of the best looking shooters out there IMO.

I for one have no problem agreeing that its one of the best looking game out there, cause stating otherwise would be straight out lying.
However, I do beg to differ if I am being told that it is the best looking, simply cause it is doing all that in real time while the other games pre-bake some elements.
I generally try to judge the visuals on basis of the end result instead of looking at what's going on beneath the hood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one have no problem agreeing that its one of the best looking game out there, cause stating otherwise would be straight out lying.
However, I do beg to differ if I am being told that it is the best looking, simply cause it is doing all that in real time while the other games pre-bake some elements.
I generally try to judge the visuals on basis of the end result instead of looking at what's going on beneath the hood.

I agree, regardless of what the engine is doing under the hood, it wouldn't matter if the results were dull and disappointing. Thankfully that's not the case for Crysis 2. :p

I don't mind baked lighting myself and think it's just fine. And until Crysis 2 came out I really didn't see the point in real time lighting versus baked lighting (and world shadows).

However, at least on PC, the lighting just makes this game feel so far ahead of anything else on PC that there isn't anything that can hold a candle to it currently. Pick up a light source and walk around and watch virtually everything in the world case a moving shadow that matches that light source. Or watch the birds and helicopter flying in the opening level casting what looks like volumetric shadow rays all correctly aligned to the sun. It's bloody amazing.

Perhaps the console version doesn't have that level of realtime lighting and that's why some on consoles aren't as impressed. But holy hell the realtime lighting in this game is just incredible at times. All other games now feel "flat" when I got into them.

Regards,
SB

Just wanted to get some details:
Campaign is roughly 10-15hrs?
Multiplayer is 6vs6 or more?
360 version >>> ps3?
Is the game any good, gameplay, story, etc?

Trying to decide if I should get it on 360, I currently don't have gold for Live.

Back