[360, PS3] Crysis 2

Hows the HDR besides the GI system, is it improved over Crysis/Warhead or Crysis Wars? I mean precision, quality etc.

Seems like it. I don't know the specifics but the bloom caused by overly bright surfaces looks far more natural than in previous Crysis games. Add the dynamic lens flares and it's quite a visual treat :p

Probably that. Also shows how much TODs make. People are more impress or assume better lighting system when intense colors and lighting is used with some bloom. Crysis lighting was a bit muted, neutral and same for sky lighting effects. But it's something DICE got quite nice in BFBC2 although a bit overdone in some maps.

Anyone compare some of the vanilla Crysis shots on previous page to these since it's same SP map but different TOD from a TOD mod I made ("YSFX"). Shows what the lighting goes by just altering intensities and color with no perfomance impact. Some difference and to each ones like, but there with extra mayonnaise. :cool:

Yeah, hopefully Sandbox 3 will ship with the game so we can make the levels more eye-popping :cool:

I see the VTOL is back.

Those shots seem from the PC version since compared to the latest trailer they feature much better textures and more geometic detail on the buildings.

My favorite is the second one.

I wonder why they look blurry if they are super sampled unless they did SSAA while having their new edge AA on.

Looks quite good but not as expected if that would be PC version at highest settings. It actually looks like a step or two back in several areas. While textures look OK there seems to be a limited amount of normal mapping and the material shading is not really impressive. To much sprite/2D based debris on terrain. Particle resolution, the what looks like blatantly simple COD style 2D smoke by few large particles on first image (ugghhh if correct).
Also the shadows by non sun lightsources like in last pic (spotlight behind soldiers) produces shadows with jaggy edges which indicates worse filtering, lack of edge jittering (expensive effect but Crysis/Warhead does it) and possibly lower res than in for example Crysis v.h. That despite non sun shadows in Crysis having lower-res they are without doubt greatly superior to that, with or without wide shadow projection.

But anyway IMO looks nice and the third pic is my favorite. I like it becouse the scene is coherently lit and shaded and you cant really pick out assets like in most of the other shots done with Crysis 2.

Btw in the second picture the claws look heavily influenced from the movie "Predator" (metal claws and rasta hair). SInce game is made in Germany then I guess it is fruitless for me to hope for a function equal to that in AvP in cutscenes or when it fights.

PR handling of this game seems braindead. Why leave what version released assets are ambiguous? Why was the beta 360 exclusive? Why has just about every showing of the PC version been private?

PS3 version MIA? Do they really think people can't figure out why it hasn't been shown?

Irritating :< :mad:

EDIT: so now they release PC version screenshots >_>

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw in the second picture the claws look heavily influenced from the movie "Predator" (metal claws and rasta hair). SInce game is made in Germany then I guess it is fruitless for me to hope for a function equal to that in AvP in cutscenes or when it fights.

To me whenever i see the (now) orangeish aliens in armored suits only reminds me of a mix between the aliens/spirits from the movie Final Fantasy the spirits within and the 'moo' tanks from metal gear solid 4.

I wonder why they look blurry if they are super sampled unless they did SSAA while having their new edge AA on.

Looks quite good but not as expected if that would be PC version at highest settings. It actually looks like a step or two back in several areas. While textures look OK there seems to be a limited amount of normal mapping and the material shading is not really impressive. To much sprite/2D based debris on terrain. Particle resolution, the what looks like blatantly simple COD style 2D smoke by few large particles on first image (ugghhh if correct).
Also the shadows by non sun lightsources like in last pic (spotlight behind soldiers) produces shadows with jaggy edges which indicates worse filtering, lack of edge jittering (expensive effect but Crysis/Warhead does it) and possibly lower res than in for example Crysis v.h. That despite non sun shadows in Crysis having lower-res they are without doubt greatly superior to that, with or without wide shadow projection.

But anyway IMO looks nice and the third pic is my favorite. I like it becouse the scene is coherently lit and shaded and you cant really pick out assets like in most of the other shots done with Crysis 2.
Most of those flaws don't really make sense from a design standpoint. Soft shadows should be configurable through cvars, as well as shadow resolution. Particles are also configurable for each quality level, and as deferred lighting limits material variety as per bandwidth, Crytek would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't allow designers to specify different material shaders for each tier.

The problem here seems to be laziness/rushed work more than anything.

PR handling of this game seems braindead. Why leave what version released assets are ambiguous? Why was the beta 360 exclusive? Why has just about every showing of the PC version been private?

PS3 version MIA? Do they really think people can't figure out why it hasn't been shown?

I have read(times around Gamescom) on some German site that PS3 has frame rate problems,as said by their programmer in one interview but he said it will be fixed.

But yea.Their PR is possibly the worst one i have ever witnessed...Even I myself,who follows it very closely,cant resolve which is which.Is frustrating.Hope they show what they got at GDC,they should show all 3 versions side by side by then.If not I guess I'll be buyin pig in a poke and Crytek will disappoint.If trailer was console version or latest batch of screenshots(albeit bullshots) I think they would proudly said that.Just my two cents...

I think cryteck already mentioned that showing mostly 360 version was a decision EA made. While most cases Ea is more prone to show stuff on ps 3 like this year E3 and most commercials here in holland.

Well, I dont think it exactly hurts anything to simply say "here's Crysis 2" and hey, it happens to be the best looking version of the game aka the PC one, and they dont specify. It's no different than releasing bullshots or even CG trailers. Of course I/we would like to know which version it is, but marketing wise I doubt most people care.

Also, what was on the 360 was not a beta, Crytek was very clear about that. It was a stress test, even if we tend to refer to it as a beta, technically it wasn't. They have made no announcements of a beta.

Well, I dont think it exactly hurts anything to simply say "here's Crysis 2" and hey, it happens to be the best looking version of the game aka the PC one, and they dont specify. It's no different than releasing bullshots or even CG trailers. Of course I/we would like to know which version it is, but marketing wise I doubt most people care.

Also, what was on the 360 was not a beta, Crytek was very clear about that. It was a stress test, even if we tend to refer to it as a beta, technically it wasn't. They have made no announcements of a beta.

Yeah it was a closed pre alpha stress test.
It did not really run well.

Couple of comments from inCrysis forum are interesting, one guy who claims to have sources in crytek (take with large grain of salt) says

Nope, it's actually recorded on a PC using a controller and same graphical settings as the xbox360 run on i.e "Medium" circa. smile

That trailer is on a PC, and on medium settings, probably having v-sync ON

Also another guy said

Umm... another strange point. This gameplay video isn't 16:9. I adjusted aspect ratio, this is about 1140x720... 1.588/1. PC & console don't use such unbalance resolution. It's only on editor that we may use such resolution. So this is PC version on editor? Umm... there are poor details as PC, many tearing... agaaaaa!

hmm, anyway to tell the resolution from those video screencaps? 720P might sort of prove that it's console, or higher would prove that it isn't, but something like 1140X720 would be interesting indeed...

Still sticking to "PC build with 360 settings and controller", eventhough they game's only months from release.

I still don't see how there could be screen tearing in PC footage. Unless, of course, they've disabled triple buffering manually to make it tear when the framerate drops. Then again, if it's on PC, why would the framerate be dropping in the first place? Argh...!

I'm still almost certain it's console footage...

Actually, they had. Before E3 they relaunched the mycrisis.com site and promised that those that signed up early would get access to the beta later that year.

Then they changed their tune to "there are no plans for a beta". Jerks.

This is what the gun looks like most of the time you are playing. Rather dark and not as advanced as the rest of the game.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/186/931665_20070706_screen001.jpg

Killzone 2 and probably even Reach have better gun models, and they are console games. It's no knock on Crytek really, I think Killzone 2 was the first game to really advance gun models in a long time. Crytek just didn't pay that much attention to them compared to the rest of the graphics. A mistake.

Come on, using a screenshot where you can't even see the gun? Also, that includes no attachments.

Been looking at some Cryteks new 3D papers and comparing it to trailer since Crytek wont say a thing I am now quite sure that everything in trailer is console game play and not even played on PC but on console,with their own console AA method(my guess).
Here is PS3 shot from their 3D tech papers...So could we get a pixel counters in here to determine this one? :LOL:
crysis2_ps3_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been looking at some Cryteks new 3D papers and comparing it to trailer since Crytek wont say a thing I am now quite sure that everything in trailer is console game play and not even played on PC but on console,with their own console AA method(my guess).
Here is PS3 shot from their 3D tech papers...So could we get a pixel counters in here to determine this one? :LOL:
http://www6.incrysis.com/screenshots/crysis2_ps3_01.jpg
That looks surprisingly smooth, blurred ? probably..but still smooth.

Wow, KZ2 hasn't aged well. Vaseline look + 3D models almost look like 2D sprites giving it a SD/almost last gen look.
The guns have a DOF effect in use, hence the blurred look. And you're exaggerating when you say almost last gen.
Anyways why are we doing this discussion again ? Didn't we discussed over this same topic few weeks ago in this same thread ?

http://www6.incrysis.com/screenshots/crysis2_ps3_01.jpg

Might this be the first PS3 shot of Crysis 2 ingame.. ever shown?

Also thinking about it, it would be really hilarious if when Crysis 2 is released Crytek would reveal that the console footage part in the trailers/console trailers where both PS3 and 360 versions mixed together. :LOL:

Might this be the first PS3 shot of Crysis 2 ingame.. ever shown?

Also thinking about it, it would be really hilarious if when Crysis 2 is released Crytek would reveal that the console footage part in the trailers/console trailers where both PS3 and 360 versions mixed together. :LOL:
It definitely is first PS3 shot from Crysis 2 ever shown.I dunno...looking at GAF thread they did laugh to one guy that thought it was console version.Maybe Crytek wants you to think this is PC version.Knowing their PR you can definitely except anything from them:D

It definitely is first PS3 shot from Crysis 2 ever shown.I dunno...looking at GAF thread they did laugh to one guy that thought it was console version.Maybe Crytek wants you to think this is PC version.Knowing their PR you can definitely except anything from them:D

Strange though they dont mention if console version as that would give them more support from console side. But yeah seeing their PR for Crysis 2, anything can happen when EA pulls strings and Crytek "dance"!

Back