[360, PS3] Crysis 2

This could be good or bad, either..

1. PC version will look and run loads better then CryEngine 2

2. It will be held back by consoles and in essance will end up not being a big enough leap over Cryngine 2

Please GOD, let the new engine support AF+POM :(

Your doing it wrong!

This is how you do it:!:

Plizz, plizz, plizz allow multiple TOD usage for a singel map and predefined areas! huahuahua

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh but what says Crysis 2 wont utilise the full potential of the PC hardware out? After all Crysis was playable on low with huge scenery.. ;)

Well, I'm not counting GTA4-level PC ports as properly 'using the full potential of the PC hardware'.

mm.. but the engine is already trimmed for PC hardware and supports most if not all high-end features in contrast to the limited DX9 GTA4 engine with all it's bugs (better perfomance with higher settings eh!?)!

As it is a known quantity it would be easy to make a SLI/CrossFire system sweat no mather Crysis 2 outcome. Thus why we need more CryEngine 2/3 powered games! ;)

mm.. but the engine is already trimmed for PC hardware and supports most if not all high-end features in contrast to the limited DX9 GTA4 engine with all it's bugs (better perfomance with higher settings eh!?)!

Why does that matter, though, if the lowest-common denominator doesn't support those features? Simply allowing you to pump up the graphics to 40000xStupid at 32xMSAA is, well, what everyone else is doing. Crytek was the one exception.

Why does that matter, though, if the lowest-common denominator doesn't support those features? Simply allowing you to pump up the graphics to 40000xStupid at 32xMSAA is, well, what everyone else is doing. Crytek was the one exception.

So what does it mather? CryEngine 3 still has all the features going multiplatform or not. Just a mather of adding it to the higher settings. And besides Crytek and their engine there are other games pushing more tech, even multiplatform games regarding PC version. And scope of the scenery doesn't have to suffer. As said Crysis on low still had the scenery scope intact yet was playble on 2003/2004 hardware. And not to forget other exclusive PC games. And even talking about GTA4 it has options to push it far beyond console version and very playable to. :)

There are also other games being developed on the CE2/CE3. Some PC exclusive.

Why does that matter, though, if the lowest-common denominator doesn't support those features?

Then they won't have those features or they will use "gimped" version of it/in limited places. The word is 'scalability'. ;)

Good news!

I like your previous work, Fran. So I am excited to see what you guys can do with the consoles.

From IGN interview....

"He said that it's capable of scaling performance considerably, so he maintains that the PC version of Crysis 2 will look far better than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions."

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/989/989158p1.html

As espected by revolutionary and reputable devs like Crytek dev team. Also this news should make Obonicus very happy. :)

Also this for all the others..

"We don't need to dumb down the game; the technology provides all the horsepower we need to make a kick-ass 360 game, a kick-ass PS3 game, and push the PC gaming forward still,"

"Warhead was a financial success, Warhead was a critical success, Warhead won numerous awards," Yerli said. DeMartini said that it got great reviews and "we were very happy with it." Yerli wouldn't rule out future PC-only games, but Crysis "is our flagship franchise" and they want it to get it to as many gamers as possible.

Interesting and very positive! Yerli almost makes it sound like moving to consoles is a necessary evil just so that they can afford to carry on pushing PC graphics forward :D

Hopefully i'm wrong about my earlier pessimism then. Hey best case scenario, Crytek prove that a game can sell well on consoles and still scale up to push the boundries of PC capabilities which as a result, produces more hype and and thus more sales for a game. Then perhaps other devs will catch on...

Seriously though, console gamers are pretty excited about Crysis on the consoles and thats because of all the hype the PC version got. And the PC version only got that hype because of its graphics. This is kind of like an extension of the "halo" effect that top end GPU's give for a company. Not everyone can have them but it creates a positive glow around the lower end of the line. I do have suspicions as to whether Alan Wake could be doing something similar.

Seriously though, console gamers are pretty excited about Crysis on the consoles and thats because of all the hype the PC version got. And the PC version only got that hype because of its graphics. This is kind of like an extension of the "halo" effect that top end GPU's give for a company. Not everyone can have them but it creates a positive glow around the lower end of the line. I do have suspicions as to whether Alan Wake could be doing something similar.

That's an interesting view.

As espected by revolutionary and reputable devs like Crytek dev team. Also this news should make Obonicus very happy. :)

Are we really at the point where we take PR statements at face value? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. So tell me, what does 'far better' mean? Does 2x the resolution, 4x the AA and 2x the FPS mean it looks far better?

Are we expecting magic from Crytek? Because otherwise how exactly are we expecting them to get the same game that pushes modern PCs to their limit to run on 4-5-year old tech? Modern PCs have what, 4-16x the total memory the 360 has. Hell, modern graphics cards have twice the memory of the 360. Even if Crytek does create ultra-high-quality textures and models for the PC, they still have to account for vastly inferior machines when designing their game! Other people have already mentioned the loss of scope when going from Crysis to Warhead. The requirements jump from one game to the other isn't nearly as stark as the jump from Warhead to consoles!

Better than loose speculations from random forum users. Atleast this comes from Crytek themselves. You seem to "dig down to much in the hole" that Crysis 2 will suffer majorly by going multiplatform. And repeatedly you ignore the fact that Crysis was playable in low on 2003/04 hardware despite it's scope.

Loss of scope from Crysis to Warhead isn't relly a big loss. Heck if yo uever plaeyd both games you will realise it is minor. PEople might confuse a large 'circle designed' area for bigger than an 'oval' design. But if the oval design is bigger in length then... ;)

I mean just look at the size of the Train level, or how about the escape from the sub with a hovercraft level.

Are we really at the point where we take PR statements at face value? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. So tell me, what does 'far better' mean? Does 2x the resolution, 4x the AA and 2x the FPS mean it looks far better?

Are we expecting magic from Crytek? Because otherwise how exactly are we expecting them to get the same game that pushes modern PCs to their limit to run on 4-5-year old tech? Modern PCs have what, 4-16x the total memory the 360 has. Hell, modern graphics cards have twice the memory of the 360. Even if Crytek does create ultra-high-quality textures and models for the PC, they still have to account for vastly inferior machines when designing their game! Other people have already mentioned the loss of scope when going from Crysis to Warhead. The requirements jump from one game to the other isn't nearly as stark as the jump from Warhead to consoles!

Warhead is at least as, if not more system intensive as Crysis..

Better than loose speculations from random forum users. Atleast this comes from Crytek themselves. You seem to "dig down to much in the hole" that Crysis 2 will suffer majorly by going multiplatform. And repeatedly you ignore the fact that Crysis was playable in low on 2003/04 hardware despite it's scope.

People aren't still talking about Crysis because of how it played on 2003/04 hardware on low. And I even question actual playability, but fine. As to loose speculations, what speculations? It's certainly no speculation that consoles are far less powerful than PCs, is it?

But fine. I'll drop out of this, it's making me more negative than usual, I'm probably just having a reflex reaction to the welling up E3 idiocy. Maybe it'll be the exact same game, at which point I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm certainly not keeping my hopes up.

Absolutely nailed it.

Graphics are never given enough credit imo..it's almost like graphics is a bad word.

Crytek choose the bold step of targeting the highest end PC hardware..has it paid off for them, despite the piracy ravaged sales of Crysis? I'd say absolutely, they've become one of the top developers in the world, with everybody eagerly awaiting Crysis 2.

If you can create the best graphics in the world, even if you're far from the best actual coders, it's a bit like being the best fighter in the world, or something like that. It's instant renown you cant buy.

Was just wondering, if Crytek said CE3.0 will scale to the next next-gen consoles then surely the engine design isn't compromised by the current gen consoles. I'm saying we'll probably see CE3's real potential with Crysis 3 as a launch title for PS4 or Xbox720.
And in the end, if piracy continues I don't think it'll be wise to release a PC Crysis exclusive even if everyone is paired with a 280gtx.

Back