Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

For UK launch:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/19/final-fantasy-xiii-uk-launch-event-rewarding-cosplayers/

Just today, the publisher announced that it'll be rewarding the first 50 people dressed in "Final Fantasy costumes" who arrive at the March 9 launch event for Final Fantasy XIII with a free copy of the game's soundtrack. Oh, and also, Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase and art director Isamu Kamikokuryo will be there, signing whatever you want.

The release further entices attendees with "high-profile DJ and TV presenter Alex Zane," who'll no doubt be spitting hot fire into a mic all evening. The event kicks off at 5:30PM at the Oxford Street HMV in London and runs until the sun comes up -- or 7:30PM, whichever comes first.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...l-fantasy-xiii-launch-event-in-san-francisco/

we’ve worked with Square Enix to secure 100 very exclusive invites to the Final Fantasy XIII Launch Event in San Francisco. That’s right, 50 of you (plus a guest) will have the chance to mingle it up and play Final Fantasy XIII the day before it hits stores on March 9. It’ll be an afternoon of Final Fantasy where you’ll also get special fan treatment, browse a gallery of stunning artwork, check out some cool videos and meet the development staff. There are also some fantastic raffle prizes up for grabs.
WHEN: This coming Monday, March 8, 2010 (one of two afternoon sessions)
WHERE: San Francisco

in case you're interested.

So basically the flip side of Bayonetta. This time with FF XIII coded to PS3 and then a quick and very dirty port to X360.

Just shows that to get somewhat equal visuals on both consoles simultaneously requires some actual work in the porting process, and probably more importantly that consideration be given to each platforms weaknesses when planning out the art, assets, and rendering method before you even start making the game.

As for video, OMG... WTF were Square Enix thinking in using Bink instead of VC-1 (or even h.264) on X360? That was a train wreck just waiting to happen and full of fail. As the article notes, even people who re-encode BRD for pirating purposes do a better job at compressing fast motion video than SE did.

Heh, I think this makes the porting job for Bayonetta look brilliant in comparison.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically the flip side of Bayonetta. This time with FF XIII coded to PS3 and then a quick and very dirty port to X360.

Just shows that to get somewhat equal visuals on both consoles simultaneously requires some actual work in the porting process, and probably more importantly that consideration be given to each platforms weaknesses when planning out the art, assets, and rendering method before you even start making the game.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, exactly what I thought!

I'm a bit worried about the "dumbing down" and "My First Final Fantasy" comments in the review. Too bad they had to make it so linear. On the other hand, maybe I'll have time to finish this, as I still haven't been able to finish FFXII, though it's a superb game.

It was obvious for me that this game was going to be chucked onto the 360 as quickly as possible. This was always going to lead to a sub par version. I don't blame SE entirley for this as I'm sure once they made the decision to go with a 360 version MS would have pressured them to get it released at the same time as the PS3 version.

It almost seems one of several things (assuming, 360 could technically handle the game, which is frankly unknown).

1, a quick and dirty/bad port
2, Somehow the need to conserve disc space forced even the lower resolution in gameplay (not sure if this is plausible, but say, to make the game/cutscenes run at the same res?)
3, SE really did a bad job because they feel loyalty to Sony/ anti-360 (sabotage of some mild sort). They needed a 360 port for business reasons, but did not put great effort in (tinfoil hat time).

Ahh well, it'll be very interesting to see if Versus 13 and FF14 (not even sure if both those have been confirmed multiplatform) follow the same course.

As for video, OMG... WTF were Square Enix thinking in using Bink instead of VC-1 (or even h.264) on X360? That was a train wreck just waiting to happen and full of fail.

Heh, I think this makes the porting job for Bayonetta look brilliant in comparison.

Regards,
SB

Indeed I can forgive Square Enix for not adapting the engine for tiling, and for keeping Alpha to converge, but using Bink when your supposedly space constrained plus leaving 2 Gigabytes free. Especially since Square Enix apparently used AVC for the PS3 version.

Do any games have videos encoded in AVC on xbox360?
As it is kind of a Sony (and Panasonic) format, and I think even HD-DVD was careful not to use it because of the rivalry, I'd think AVC is a no-no in xbox360.
I think the main reason for the slightly inferior xb360 port is simply lack of time.
It's good enough anyway.

I'm just pissed of what FFXIII could/would have been if it had remained PS3 exclusive. The whole game sound like an extremely prolonged introductory chapter from previous FF's. Hopefully I'm proven wrong when I get the game and some playtime with it, but I know I'm going to miss the freedom and sense of adventure and journey.

As for video, OMG... WTF were Square Enix thinking in using Bink instead of VC-1 (or even h.264) on X360? That was a train wreck just waiting to happen and full of fail. As the article notes, even people who re-encode BRD for pirating purposes do a better job at compressing fast motion video than SE did.

Regards,
SB

I can understand, constraints of porting the game to X360.
However I cannot understand the use Bink instead of much better encoders they could have used...

3, SE really did a bad job because they feel loyalty to Sony/ anti-360 (sabotage of some mild sort). They needed a 360 port for business reasons, but did not put great effort in (tinfoil hat time).

I think that out of all the possible reasons for the bad port, this would really, really be the last one. It would just not be good for business to release a product that is 'intentionally' bad, just because of a preference towards Sony or MS. The product they are selling is FF13. They made a decision to release it on 360 and it would make no sense whatsoever to 'mildly sabotage' it just because SE have had a relationship with Sony in the past.

It is quite obvious that they have a good relationship with MS, i mean the only TV adverts for FF13 i have seen were for the 360 version - no mention about the PS3 version, which in itself is shocking, everything considered.

What is the score? Is it that little 5 in brackets at the end? I'm used to a big number slapped on the side of page 1 of the review :LOL:

Back