• Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
31062368.jpg

rbeo.jpg

So who is right? Is filtering better or not?

The R600's output shown is from an early OGL driver bug, or sort of -- not a good measure for comparison, really.

The G80 sample is default quality, not HQ.

Here is a detailed sequence of different patterns (description in the lower right corner):

afanim.gif

The AF wheel is only one measuring stick. It's also incomplete without extensive analysis...just a static shot won't tell you much.

Better memory resource management?
If by "better resource management" you mean less memory consumption by DWM then yes. But what's that has to do with game performance?

That's G80 "Quality" mode with all optimisations on. It's MUCH better than that in HQ mode. Plus I doubt you can tell if AMD's doing any underfiltering with these images. (Or any images actually.)

Plus I doubt you can tell if AMD's doing any underfiltering with these images. (Or any images actually.)

That's right - you cannot. And frankly spoken, that was a hell of a lot more of an issue than the slightly less than perfect angle dependancy.

The AF wheel is only one measuring stick. It's also incomplete without extensive analysis...just a static shot won't tell you much.
We all know this, but it's the easiest way to do a quick comparison. Otherwise, a detailed in-game (w/ multiple titles) analysis is needed to comprehensively evaluate the different quality aspects. ;)

Oh man, if those slides are true, more AA modes to play with. :) I think that's the main reason (other than lower idle power) for me to get a 58xx.

AA...yes yes yes yes. Hopefully the SSAA is a decent speed and hopefully it can be easily forced for all games. And it better be at least RGSSAA and not OGSSAA.

Also, wondering if they did anything to increases Edge Detect AA perf? Love that AA mode, but only useable in non-demanding games.

Also, are those slides implying that regular MSAA is going to be twice the performance of 48xx? Double the pixel/clock rate? Or to put it another way, the performance hit from MSAA will be half of the performance of MSAA on 48xx?

Regards,
SB

We all know this, but it's the easiest way to do a quick comparison. Otherwise, a detailed in-game (w/ multiple titles) analysis is needed to comprehensively evaluate the different quality aspects. ;)
An option to disable tex filtering optimizations without affecting the rest of A.I. would be useful. I doubt it'll be included. Perhaps via reg key.

And it better be at least RGSSAA and not OGSSAA.
Apparently it's RGSS. No point in OGSS when the investment for sparse sampling in MSAA has been made.

Also, are those slides implying that regular MSAA is going to be twice the performance of 48xx? Double the pixel/clock rate? Or to put it another way, the performance hit from MSAA will be half of the performance of MSAA on 48xx?
Yeah, it appears 2x the sample rate of 4800 series as hinted.

The SSAA is nothing new. Years ago, when ATi enabled first version of AAA in drivers (at the time of R5xx), some local members revealed a trick how to enable the SS filter not only for alpha textures, but for all textures. I believe ATi just decided to enable this old feature officially :smile:

Will it be long now for the first Evergreed reviews? It is already the noon of the 22nd where i live! So, are we going to see full reviews or what? Is there a full NDA lifting today?

Back