Motorstorm 2

Tropical rainforest and (small) islands are usually lush green (at least those that I stayed for extended period). Not very "colorful" like Spring time or Fall in temperate areas. The sea water could have very deep and nice blue though (if it's far out enough). The really colorful sceneries are under the tropical waters.

EDIT: Aren't the cars colorful enough ? I played through quickly so the impression doesn't hold that long. I could tell the ground texture was not great (like Uncharted) though, but the map was expansive.

Tropical rainforest and (small) islands are usually lush green (at least those that I stayed for extended period). Not very "colorful" like Spring time or Fall in temperate areas. The sea water could have very deep and nice blue though (if it's far out enough). The really colorful sceneries are under the tropical waters.

I don`t mean number of colors are low, but those colors are not saturated enough for tropical island.

+ flat lighting and
Yeah, lighting is a little flat time to time, but since dark (shadowed) and light areas are mixed often, it's not apparent mostly.
not too much saturated colors (IMO tropical islands are colorful, aren`t they?)
I think colors are fine. The original was mostly brown but contrast was way better than most other ps3 exclusives and bloom abuser offroad racers.
Now M:pR has more green, and apparently blue and red as well.

Wait. What? Are there any games with better ground textures than Uncharted has? Or even the same?

Ha ha... you got me there. Please insert your own moderated expectation here in lieu of MS2's physics and larger level. All I wanted to say was, I could tell the ground texture could be improved. However, considering the amount of activities in MS2, and how fast everyone else zoomed past me (I finished 15/16 :oops: -- sightseeing okay ?), I'd say it's "par for the course".

That's not what I found. The rim around the edge of the cliff was near impossible to drive on a bike, it's like a vortex pulling you off the edge. There were also parts of the track that were narrow and hard to get by in the monster truck.

There are 11 other tracks, I'm sure they will have a lot of variety. This demo track reminded me other the demo for MS, it too showed little of the multiple paths and how to exploit them.

15 other tracks :)

And I liked it. Reminds me of why Pure doesn't stack up to it...there's something more immediate and intense about Motorstorm. It feels as if you're actually racing and interacting with other racers. The new methods of interacting is now much better too - l1 to hit left, r1 to hit right...then square for horn/taunting, and up for a bunny up, and down for a duck. Great :D

I like the crashes better now, and I like that you can skip them more quickly.

Not sure about the shaking cam on boosting - hurts my eyes.

Like the track, apart from textures...and lack of mud. Please say the amazing deformation is in :(

Guys, crash animations were skippable in MS1 as well. It just didn't tell you to press X to skip".

edit: I also haven't noticed the joy of rubberband AI from the original. It feels far from the shoulder-to-shoulder combat racing now. Maybe they should have kept 3 laps instead of 2.

Skipping was very random in MS1...sometimes you could skip, sometimes you couldn't - and it all meant tapping the button over and over to skip it. WAY better now.

Most people HATED the rubberband AI. Especially me.

Nebula, did you play the game? When I pause it, a menu comes up and a shaded layer is on top of the game footage.

I could use the freeze screen function of my TV of course, but I'd still prefer native res screencaps.

Didnt you play it? What you see infront of you when paused, as good as a proper screenshot.

Yeah lots of! :p

Uh, don't think so. Up close Uncharted wins (doesn't win on AF though...Heavenly Sword wins there)...I'm sure Motorstorm had better ground textures than this demo..maybe we just need more mud! :)

Nebula, did you play the game? When I pause it, a menu comes up and a shaded layer is on top of the game footage.

I could use the freeze screen function of my TV of course, but I'd still prefer native res screencaps.

Nope, but bring the engine to a halt instead. Dont know anythign about your setup but that would make it easier to see details and such.

Uh, don't think so. Up close Uncharted wins (doesn't win on AF though...Heavenly Sword wins there)...I'm sure Motorstorm had better ground textures than this demo..maybe we just need more mud! :)

Ok sorry didnt know it was about PS3 games only. In that case it makes sense.

Nope, but bring the engine to a halt instead. Dont know anythign about your setup but that would make it easier to see details and such.

Yeah sorry, wasn't including Crysis.

That's not what I found. The rim around the edge of the cliff was near impossible to drive on a bike, it's like a vortex pulling you off the edge. There were also parts of the track that were narrow and hard to get by in the monster truck.

Actually, my favorite part in the demo was on the bike, doing the crazy leap off the beginning onto the edge of the cliff, and then struggling to keep your bike from toppling over. As for the vortex effect, I only felt that draw when I was going a little too slow, but it's sort of what I'd expect would happen.

there's something more immediate and intense about Motorstorm.
Yeah, that's called rubberband AI.
Please say the amazing deformation is in :(
It's in.
Skipping was very random in MS1...sometimes you could skip, sometimes you couldn't - and it all meant tapping the button over and over to skip it. WAY better now.
It's pretty much same to me, I'm not sure about tapping though, do you wait for the message to show, or does it now remember earlier X presses?
Most people HATED the rubberband AI.
They were all wrong. :)
MS couldn't keep all the racers together without it. You wouldn't get the intensity we all like.
Unfortunately it's not apparent in the demo, fortunately though the footage in the demo always shows crowded, head to head racing, so I'm still hopeful.

Yeah, that's called rubberband AI.

It's in.

It's pretty much same to me, I'm not sure about tapping though, do you wait for the message to show, or does it now remember earlier X presses?

They were all wrong. :)
MS couldn't keep all the racers together without it. You wouldn't get the intensity we all like.
Unfortunately it's not apparent in the demo, fortunately though the footage in the demo always shows crowded, head to head racing, so I'm still hopeful.

No the intensity and immediacy comes from the physics, weight, graphics, camera etc. There's loads of interaction - I've yet to win. :) That's all I see...people around me. Rubberband AI was ANNOYING - I want fair races where each car has it's own route in real-time race speeds...not jumping forward to catch me up.

Skipping isn't the same. It is much quicker now, and it is much more reliable.

I played the demo again with all the vehicles. The bike is indeed more stable but still light and has less momentum. I think its advantage will only be apparent in tricky courses and shortcuts. The truck seems to remain unchanged from the first one. The monster truck has a lot more weight and is faster than the bus in MS1.

I hope the final game patches the bike's wobbliness back. It would make the game perfect. The most fun part for me is when the monster truck hits the ski-jump. The sense of flight and weight is strangely satisfying, especially when you land on other competitors (Bwahaha !).

The ground texture looks okay on my subsequent playthroughs. I noticed the crash sequence has fewer debris compared to the first one. The deformation is more detailed and the particle effects (smoke and fire) are "meatier".

The game is still rather intense. I think they loosen up the rubberbanding but it's there (just a feeling). My hands were all cold after 3 rounds. I am generally indifferent to racing games, but I can feel the rush in this one just like the first MotorStorm.

Will buy it and looking forward to more XMB and Home integration.

unchartedground.jpg

not just PS3 for sure ;)

Back