Your top five games that everyone loved but you were "meh" or "WTF is this $h*#. (overrated)

Grand theft Auto (IV in particular, but I was never a fan)
Gears of bore/Halo
Skyrim/Oblivion
Overwatch
Zelda franchise

I also never understood all the hype about Wolfenstein NO. It was an entertaining game for nostalgic, narrative and atmospheric reasons but the actual gunplay, mechanics and gameplay(ammo, boss) were unsatisfying and not even up to the level of F.E.A.R. (my standard for classic shooters). Every time I say that on reddit I can count on the down votes.

I really dislike the Ubisoft Far Cry games, basically everything about it
the whole "Battle Royale" thing also

fighting games, in general.
Beat them ups, in general.
RPGs, in general.
RTSs, in general.

I don't think i've ever played such a game. Ever since I was a kid I was always into reading or watching previews, playing the games on Demo Discs before deciding on what to buy. If I touched games I thought were only average only I was to be blamed.Nowadays the tools to make a decision are more than fair so my advice is to use them and more importantly only invest money in something you think you might end up enjoying. And don't be fooled by brands, reboots, remakes.

For example many people love Horizon:zero Dawn but there is just something about it that doesn't excite me as much as other similar open world games so I have not played it. Maybe a playable Demo would change my mind

Last edited:
Top 5? There's so many games that get hyped but I find so "meh" that they just eventually get lost in the background noise and are forgotten.

That said...
  1. The Uncharted Series. This one stands out above all others just because of the insane amount of hype the game gets. This isn't to say it's worse than other games I find "meh," but only that its Hype-to-Meh ratio is far higher than all others just because the hype for the series is so (IMO) insane.
  2. A distant second being Tomb Raider. Only because it abandoned it's roots and tried to be like Uncharted.
  3. Mass Effect 2 onwards. F-U EA and Bioware for turning a great RPG into Yet Another Shooter. Blargh.
  4. Dragon Age 2 onwards. F-U EA and Bioware for turning a great RPG into Yet Another crappy Action game. Blargh.
  5. Honorable mention. Any F-ing game that abandons its RPG roots in order to dumb things down and appeal to a greater audience by becoming a shooter/action game.
I guess 2-5 don't really qualify for the thread topic as those are games that engendered hatred and disgust on my part rather than just being "meh."

Regards,
SB

Sort of a weird thread ;)

If everyone thinks it's amazing and I'm the one that thinks it's 'meh', then isn't the problem me ? ;)
At least that's the way I look at it, it's a game not for me, or I completely failed to recognize the core gameplay loop, and the other loops following that.

Again, it's a subjective thread on personal tastes, and nothing to do with a judgement of a game. Just because I don't like the same music as someone else, or the same food, or the same film, or same book, doesn't mean I have a 'problem', and very much I shouldn't be made to agree with everyone else or even made to think I should have the same view as everyone else and there's something wrong with me.

Again, it's a subjective thread on personal tastes, and nothing to do with a judgement of a game. Just because I don't like the same music as someone else, or the same food, or the same film, or same book, doesn't mean I have a 'problem', and very much I shouldn't be made to agree with everyone else or even made to think I should have the same view as everyone else and there's something wrong with me.

Very much so. My 2 favorite genres (turn based RPG and RTS) are genres that the vast majority of gamers find "meh." Which is why I find it unforgivable when a publisher or developer decides that they want to ditch what made say an RPG franchise great and turn it into a shooter (here's looking at you Bethesda and Bioware, grrrrr).

Regards,
SB

I'll add a game that's occurred to me, and that's Valkyria Chronicles because it messed up the tactical turn-based strategy game concept with misplaced storytelling that ruined the game. Levels where you couldn't win because the story prevented it, making all your tactical decisions pointless. You need a different mindset to the one I had to be able to enjoy that experience, but I felt it a betrayal of the demo that sold me on the game as an XCOM style game with a gorgeous aesthetic and loads of character. I didn't know I was buying a Japanese RPG with a slightly different front-end mechanic.

Red Dead Redemption. I've found the game extremely boring yet I love goofing around in GTA. I don't know why, it's a mystery
The Last Guardian. I didn't play, only watched extended sessions, but I've found it overhyped & pretentious
Any nintendo franchise. Never had a nintendo, so no nostalgy here. Each time I played the Wii, I got bored to tears
The Witness. Only one kind of puzzle, and it felt empty
Skyrim. Shallow walking simulator, Lots of meaningless content without depth

Red Dead Redemption. I've found the game extremely boring yet I love goofing around in GTA.
I think this is mainly because they are supposed to be 2 different titles. I feel like Rockstar only wants experiences that are easy to distinguish from one another. A historic time period should feel different than a modern one. I had fun with it for the most part and keeping an eye on RDR 2.

GTA 4, the racing game based on GTA, Halo, and almost any online fps
That is strange because I loved Wheelman, almost any racing game, and fps like HL2 and bioshock

Then you never realised how special the Halo AI truly was vs. any other FPS back in its days. Halo had superb replay quality because of that as it made each encounter unique. Other FPS were just static, including HL2 but more narrative/exploration driven than action driven.

Replayability is nothing if reaching the end is a labor.
And talking of it, I've played Reach, was so bored that quitted it after the colonists' chapter.

I'll add a game that's occurred to me, and that's Valkyria Chronicles because it messed up the tactical turn-based strategy game concept with misplaced storytelling that ruined the game. Levels where you couldn't win because the story prevented it, making all your tactical decisions pointless. You need a different mindset to the one I had to be able to enjoy that experience, but I felt it a betrayal of the demo that sold me on the game as an XCOM style game with a gorgeous aesthetic and loads of character. I didn't know I was buying a Japanese RPG with a slightly different front-end mechanic.

I was mostly bothered by the fact that the later stages were only ever "beatable" because the A.I. was insanely dumb. I especially remember one level where you were stuck with a broken tank while the enemy had an entire army of the bloody things. You wouldn't have stood the slightest chance if the A.I. had actually bothered to attack you instead of wasting turns driving its tanks back and forth like a complete bellend.

- games on a platform that is not my favourite platform
- games that try to do something different to the things I like games to do
- games that are very popular, but that I didn't play before they became very popular
- games on a platform that is not my favourite platform, especially if I can tell that the game is actually very good and that the game would be very well received if it were actually on my favourite platform

Back