Do the games suck, or is it just me?

Well, but there are typically difficult settings to chose from. If you want it hard...just chose hard.
I don't see where the actual problem is? Scratches head again...

i think its more about the game that badly designed. Maybe the gameplay are sound but the explanation are borked.

Bad example
Many JRPG, for example Resonance of Fate are game with sound gameplay but badly explained and you cant progress at all if you dont understand the gameplay.

Gran Turismo series. I dont understand the so many gameplay feature it has, and when i try miself, it still hard to understand.

About Crysis 3. I have not played the game so i dont really know. But does the gameplay ability to detect "vulnerabilities" and attack it also present on other enemies? Or its limited to that ONE boss?
If its limited to that one boss, i can understand that stupid gamer problem. He did not expect the game to suddently allowing him to do that.

Its like on imaginary Megaman when suddently on the final boss, you need to use Mega-Mind attack. An attack that previously you have never been able to use so you dont understand the behavior to expect.

Or when suddently on imaginary Mario Bros you must walk to LEFT instead to the right.

I felt something like that (but in reverse) when playing Bioshock Infinite. I have "posession magic", i can control MANY enemies. But why suddently i cant control some of the enemies? o_O

Battlefield 3. Hmm, why cant i collapse the Metro station? o_O i cant even make a HOLE on the metro wall. How can i KNOW what things i can blow and what things i cant? How can i know what trees i can cut? o_O

Good example
Dark/Demon Souls deliberately badly explain its own gameplay. I think the need to explore the gameplay by myself ARE the gamepay and the game encourage me to learn (no learn, no live). So its good. (wow confusing sentence).

Forza series. I still dont understand the every tiny bits of upgrades or paintings/decals. But the game explained it well enough so i can use it with minimum understanding.

Halo series except halo 4. Hmm, i cant damage the enemy, then i saw shield are borked on the corner. Oh i see, i need to shoot it right there.
On halo 4, i dont understand what to expect with the teleporting enemy :/

BFBC2 i can blow all of buildings that are not made by metal construction or flat with terrain. I can cut all the trees too.

On PC
Thats why i love PC gaming and Xbox 360 PS2 PS1. When the game become annoying, i just use cheat or mod :D
It makes Skyrim more enjoyable. Where is my follower? I just teleport them. Why my wife wont come with me for the journey across tamriel? No problem, i make my wife a follower.
It makes lost planet 1 (battery/heater problem) and 2 (checkpoint problem) become a lot better game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that very difficult to understand? Yu like something but you can't beat it , so what else can you do? Learn the ropes or quit. If people don't have the patience to just learn to manage a health bar, which just requires that u don't keep doing the same thing again and again but improvise, then what else can they do bit quit! When the game has already been made 2 notches easier than before, it becomes quite paradoxical that players are calling it hard in the first place. So what changed? Game was made easier than before, not harder, so it gives the players have changed. Gamer patience is reaching minimal levels.

It is really difficult to understand. If you have fun learning the mechanics and improvising then you would continue doing that. If that is not the case you would go on doing something else.

And if gamer patience is reaching minimal levels Minecraft Notch wouldn't be able to fly a personal jet.

Good example
Dark/Demon Souls deliberately badly explain its own gameplay. I think the need to explore the gameplay by myself ARE the gamepay and the game encourage me to learn (no learn, no live). So its good. (wow confusing sentence).
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Sorry, but I completely disagree there. Dark Souls required an investment of a zillion hours to learn anything by yourself. How did I learn that a magical bow didn't gain a damage advantage without magical arrows? By just trying it and having incested all those gems and souls and shit, finding no improvement at al. At which point I'm annoyed that it was a waste of my time and effort trying to advance my character only to find it couldn't be done in the way expected. DS needs a lot of explanation, which is managed on the web. It has a massive 'manual'. The developers just cheaped out and couldn't be arsed to explain the basics.

I consider DS the epitome of bad explanation leading to frustration and a destruction of the enjoyment that the game had to offer thanks to banging one's head against invisible walls. A better explanation would have made the thing far more enjoyable. That doesn't mean it has to be dumbed down or made easier (a later mage character showed the game wasn't at all hard if you don't try a broken build because the game is unbalanced), but just explained, which is exactly what you are suggesting, only I take DS as proof of the point from exactly the opposite direction!

Dark Souls is an excellent game in that it's easy to learn and hard to master, but when it comes to choices (weapons, stats...) it's really obscure, but as Shifty Geezer said, you have the internet Wiki to help you out.

The PC version is sub standard quality wise though :(

yikes shifty. you really hit the point. i just realized that when playing DS i keep it windowed with browser tabs open. It felt so natural. I dont know what to do, i open faqs :/

@roderic
play the pc version with mod or not?

yikes shifty. you really hit the point. i just realized that when playing DS i keep it windowed with browser tabs open. It felt so natural. I dont know what to do, i open faqs :/

@roderic
play the pc version with mod or not?
With native HD resolution mod.
Still looks "dated" IMO.

Production value of Dark Souls is not that great. In fact, it looks and sounds worse than Demon's Souls. They both look dated though. ^_^

And yes, the Souls series requires not just reading up (preparation), but also complete attention to play. People like xbd insist not to use any tips. I read up as much as I could before I embark on my journey in Boletaria. It's up to you, but there is indeed no hand holding. There are a lot of details and exceptions, the manual would be like the one inch thick game guide.

Keep in mind that Souls also doesn't have a big budget. From Software games are always a little rough, so it's not all that great to use as a metric.

Back