Your Favorite Bands/Music Artist

digitalwanderer said:
Nope, I don't really do videos.

By all means, look for them. Especially a particular one with mirrors*, dunno the name anymore but it should be easy to find since they won't have that many.

* can't go into details here, VERY disguasting

Diplo said:
I always knew you were a man of style and exquisite refinement, John..

Heh, I couldn't resist. I almost said K.C. & the Sunshine Band, but I actually did like a few of their songs back in the 70s.

Favorite band IMO, and I'm going to show my age here: Beatles, Stones, Who, Frampton, Elton John, Eagles, Billy Joel, The Police (probably all-time favorite), and a few others. I have some guilty pleasures, especially stuff from the 70s, like Bread, the Bee Gees, Barry Manilow, etc.

This week, I have mostly been listening to:

Goldfrapp
Kasabian
Gorrillaz (2nd album because the 1st was shite)
The Chemical Brothers

digitalwanderer said:
Are we talking Copa Cabana or Mandy type stuff?

I love Mandy. And Weekend in New England.

Heh, I've been known to burst out with a rousing rendition of Mandy during little LAN-matches with friends, especially if I'm not currently winning and need to distract my opponents, break their concentration.

You wanna talk about embarressing past music? Try Captain & Tenille and Sean Cassidy. :oops:

My older sister was a huge fan of both back in the 70s, I still hear "Dado-run-run" in my head at the damndest times! :???:

Heh, I loved Footloose stuff back then, but I was 10 or so :LOL: :oops:

EDIT: well, it was 80's, but still embarrasing...

A Silver Mt. Zion
Sonic Youth
Boards of Canada
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Slowdive
My Bloody Valentine
Hrsta
The Microphones
Vangelis
Sigur Ros
The Beatles
Cloudscapes ;)
Radiohead
David Bowie
Bjork
Xiu Xiu
Joy Division
The Delgados
PJ Harvey
Kraftwerk
Nine Inch Nails
Fly Pan Am
Elizabeth Anka Vajagic
Crescent

...to name a few

mcmxc.gif

B0000264JN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

oi said:
Ark
Conception
Darkane
Deep Purple
Dream Theater
Emperor
Meshuggah
Mortiis
Nine Inch Nails
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Radiohead
Rainbow
Spiritual Beggars
The Mars Volta
The Cardigans

... is some of the stuff on my playlist at the moment, plus a shitload of anime/movie/game soundtracks.

arjan de lumens said:
Some of the stuff I have been listening to lately:

Opeth
Novembre
Katatonia
Forest Of Shadows
Draconian
Insomnium
Ayreon
Ulver
Anekdoten
Cult Of Luna
Koldbrann
Devil Doll
Taake
Nice:D
and of course xxx...

digitalwanderer said:
You wanna talk about embarressing past music? Try Captain & Tenille and Sean Cassidy.

I'm the youngest of my generation and I got dragged to an Osmond Brothers concert by my older sisters back in the '70s. I can't even begin to imagine how many extra sessions on my therapist's couch that cost me.

"And they called it puppy loooooooove. . . ." :devilish:

Such a dilema but here is a selection
Metallica
Operation Ivy (not official site it doesn't exit) Highly influential punk/ska melding band link to mp3
Rage Against the Machine (Well duh ;) )
Buckethead link to mp3 His instrumental CDs such as Colma, Electric Tears are excelent
Tantric Though only the first album
Rancid
Avenged Sevenfold link mp3 link 2Heavy Metal/Punk good stuff, though perhaps a passing bit
Mad Caddies Ska
Common Rider link to clip link 2 it is rocksteady, reggae, I dunno influenced, I like it though it is easy to listen to if not intellectually stimulating

p.s. I of course love lots of other stuff and many classical composers but...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, we should say something perhaps after the band especially if you don't link it so people have an idea of what kind of music it is and whether they care to check up on it, I will go back and add notes to any that are semi-obscure. I also linked to some mp3s for your enjoyment, they are all reputable, official mp3s from official sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea.

Opeth - I guess they fall into progressive death metal. I feel in love with this band after their Morningrise album. opeth.com is their website, I assume you can find some samples of their music there. Their newest album (Ghost Reveries) is very very good. Dont get put off by the fact that they are now on Roadrunner, nothing at all was lost in the movie. Opeth defines what a great progressive metal band should be. Also, their lead singer has the best voice I've ever heard in death metal/progressive metal.
Mr. Bungle - Mike Patton's first band. Downright crazy mix of jazz, metal, circus music, everything and then more. No longer together technically. Visit bunglefever.com, the best place I've found for information about them.
Dark Tranquility - Melodic death metal band. From Sweden (like Opeth), their newest album (Character) is really good, Damage Done before that not so much. But the rest of their albums are really great, Projector and The Gallery being my next.
Bjork - Everyone knows Bjork, if you dont, then look her up, lots of interesting stuff about her. Like her now getting the idea that she wants to sail the world.
Tori Amos - :love: that's all I have to say.
Isis - A metal band. They create amazing walls of sound, very beautiful and emotional music. Not to much singing, but that's a good thing to me.
Mushroomhead - Ahh, Mushroomhead. Their first three albums are AMAZING. If you like any dub, or enjoy piano mixed with metal, and a whole bunch of weirdness you'll enjoy their first three albums. Truely amazing stuff. Their last album XIII is not my favorite, in fact I though it was very dissapointing and falls very much in line with metal/hard rock. A few interesting songs, but not much. They are suppose to be releasing a new album this winter, I have high hopes.

John Reynolds said:
Favorite band IMO, and I'm going to show my age here: Beatles, Stones, Who, Frampton, Elton John, Eagles, Billy Joel, The Police (probably all-time favorite), and a few others. I have some guilty pleasures, especially stuff from the 70s, like Bread, the Bee Gees, Barry Manilow, etc.
That's not showing your age, John. I'm 40 and from your list, The Police is what I love best. Bee Gees, though, I cannot stand.

What?
No Blue Oyster Cult?
No Tool?
No Black Crowes?
No U2?
No Jimmy Buffet?
No Eagles?

I also have a bit of a guilty pleasure for Boston (all but their latest album), Train (I know, I know, pussy rock) and a few other alterna-'pop' groups from the 80's and 90's.

Then there's the bluegrass (Allison Kraus, Nickel Creek, and Bruce Hornsby).

I really don't dig the Beatles, or the Beegees, or John Denver (learned that the hard way, after buying his anthology). Same thing with Greatful Dead. No so hot on Pearl Jam, or Coldplay, either.

Pendulum
Bad Company
Concord Dawn
Dom & Roland
London Elektricity
Future Prophecies
Omni Trio
4 Hero
Marky & XRS
Photek
Calibre
High Contrast