Your all time favourite albums and more

Squeak

Veteran
This has been done before but nevertheless it’s always fun to see what others rate highly.

The rules:
- No artist, band or orchestra can have more than one entry.
- Keep the list around ten albums, but don’t make a big deal about keeping it at exactly ten, this shouldn’t be a chore.
- Write just a few words after each title, about why you chose this particular album (to stop this thread from becoming just a mindless collection of lists).

The guy in my signature once said something like “Show me what you like, and I will tell you what you are”.
Let's try to do this with music. Try to, based on a posters taste in music, to guess the personality of the person who posted it and his/her other preferences (or age, sex, nationality etc.).

My list in no particular order:

The Dreaming – Kate Bush
The first time I heard her music I thought it was the some of the most overly affected, pretentious crap I ever heard, a month later I had bought all her albums.

Loveless – My Bloody Valentine
The two albums and the seven associated EPs, was, an still is most influential on contemporary indie esque and experimental rock. But in the fifteen years since their last outing, MBV really hasn’t been bested by any of their imitators.

Magical Mystery tour - Beatles
No other rock/pop act has ever had a run like Rubber Soul, Revolver, sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, “The White Album”, Abbey Road and Let it Be. It’s almost impossible to pick one. But forced to choose, I pick MMT for variety and extremely high consistent quality throughout.

Eye in the Sky – Alan Parsons Project
Some might think of smooth vinyl clad prog. rock when they hear the name, or maybe of cold-blooded “HiFI producer rock”, but that would only be because they haven’t sat down an actually listened.

Phaedra – Tangerine Dream
One of the most important electronic albums of all time. The starting point of all modern electronic ambient music, but so much more than “just” ambient.

Blood On The Tracks – Bob Dylan
IMHO Dylan’s last great album, and maybe his greatest ever.

Double Nickels on the Dime – Minutemen
One of the only double albums ever that doesn’t feel like it could have been cut in half, and one of the finest American rock records ever.

The Man Machine - Kraftwerk
Although sharing the love of synthesizers and unusual musical structures, Kraftwerk is in many respects the complete opposite of Tangerine Dream.
This is probably their greatest hour combining their super tight beats and melodies with an almost jazzy feel in places.

Cupid and Psyche 85 – Scritti Politti
Simply one of the best pop albums of all time. Very well crafted in every respect and with the unusual trait of being both accessible, “avantgarde” and deep at the same time.

Speaking in Tongues – Talking Heads
The last really great album from one of the greatest bands of their time, showing that they could “do it” without Eno.

Ege Bamyasi - Can
Halfway between Tago Mago and Future Days in accessibility but in no way a compromise, rather the perfect starting point for new fans.

Kind of Blue – Miles Davis
The album even people who don’t normally listen to jazz owns. You can certainly hear this was recorded almost 50 years ago, but that is only because of the style (which is in no way a bad thing). The range of emotions it covers, the quality of the music and indeed the sound quality is as good as it gets.

Most overrated album of all time:
OK Computer - Radiohead
I just don't get it. Is it the lyrics? Is it the music? Or even some magic combination of both? All I hear is boring mediocrity and lack of new ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll try (in no particular order):

Alice in Chains - "Dirt": this was THE ultimate grunge/rock album which still gives me shudders each time I hear it. Think Nirvana for people with more taste and better understanding of music ;). This came out at the time when I felt really, really bad and managed to give me good feelings even in worst of times.

Death - "Human": This is what transformed death metal from "noise" into serious music with high artistic value. Still on my daily programme. Best drumming ever bar none, too.

Cynic - "Focus": I really don't know how to describe this, but I'll try: this is the top of the foodchain, period. THE ultimate piece of music, right there between Bach and Mozart. But you won't get it unless you're a good musician with well-trained ears and high attention for details. I bow to them and envy them as well. Music for gods and mortals alike. :cool: THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THIS EXPERIENCE, GUYS!!!

Billy Cobham - "Spectrum": One of the best jazz albums from the best jazz drummer ever.

Soundgarden - "Badmotorfinger": the ultimate kick-ass Soundgarden record, this was their highest point. Great rock record for any occasion, lots of power and good feelings.

Deee-Lite - "World Clique": while I'm not really a techno/house fan, this record (like most of their stuff actually) is just plain beautiful and was quite revolutionary back then in that it broght electronic music to the wide audience. The remixes record even improved upon this, if you're a fan be sure to check that out as well. Lady Miss Kier's voice gives me shivers, besides being a great singer, she's got one of the most erotic voices I've heard AND also looks fantastic. I'd marry her right away, I swear :D

Deep Purple - "Live in Japan": my favourite hard rock recording and a really powerful live appearance, beats the sh*t out of Led Zeppelin and other bands from that period.

Placebo - "Black Market Music": I know most people find some of their other stuff better, but this one's more for personal reasons and the time I heard it. "Special K", "Days Before You Came" and "Taste In Men" are among my favourite songs ever.

Depeche Mode - "Songs of Faith and Devotion": this needs no comment, I think. "Walking in My Shoes" and "In Your Room" speak for themselves.

The Sisters Of Mercy - "A Slight Case of Overbombing": it's a greatest hits record, but it has all the best stuff they've done. A must in any serious collection.

The Cure - "Gallore": also a greatest hits record, though in case of Cure, I love all their stuff and can't pick just one record.

Sade - "Diamond Life": if you ever were in love, you'll know why. Speaks directly to the heart with no detours whatsoever. Lovely most soulful voice ever IMO, pure compressed feelings.

Marie Louise Girraurd - "J.S.Bach's Toccata And Fugue in d-moll": the best interpretation of Bach I've ever heard bar none. The woman is just an amazing organist and this one of my favourite pieces of classical music regardless.

That's enough I think, hard to choose though. I certainly forgot some stuff, but this should give a good enough picture...

Accept - Restless and Wild
One of the formative Metal albums of the 1980s , a true classic

Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid
Just a classic, this is my personal fav of all AC albums

Bathory - Hammerheart
The album that sparked the Viking Metal genre. Extremely powerful

Dark Tranquility - Haven
My favourite Melodic Death Metal album. There's just a truckload of great tunes.

DIO - Holy Diver
Best album of one of the greatest voices in Hard Rock

Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
My favourite Prog Rock album, even beats Dream Theater's "Images and Words"

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Perhaps the most influental Thrash/Speed Metal album, it's almost perfect

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Great concept album, groundbreaking for its time

Savatage - Streets
My favourite Rock Opera

Rose Tattoo - 25 to Live
An excellent live recording of this legendary Australian Hard Rock band.

filter - title of record

i first heard one of the bands song in the Spawn comic movie adaption, got the cd from a friend of a friend, and that was some years ago. And i still enjoy this album every time i hear it, it is not a raw as their first, not as commercialy clean as theire latest, simply one of the best alternative rock meets industrial albums for my taste. Though there are some sequences that simply sound disturbingly ugly.

massive atack - 100th window

very atmospherical, and compared to filter - title of record, it is without flaw from the beginning to the end. something to let play in a loop. mostly electric music.

anekdoten - Vemod

very melodic use of guitare and violine, and they even managed to fit in the drums without making the music worth "less". I generally dont like the drums.... so...

skunk anansie - post orgasmic chill

i love her voice, and i particularly like her in this one, no holding back with shouting and very high tones.

Bands from whome i cant chose a "one" special album from:

Assemblage 23
blackmail/scumbucket
skinny pupy/OhGr
argente naranja

I also loved OP: Mindcrime, but Geoff's live performance is nowhere near, that was a MAJOR disappointment

I'm seeing them perform the entire Operation Mindcrime album at Sweden Rock Festival this summer, so hopefully you're a damn liar. :smile:

oi said:
I'm seeing them perform the entire Operation Mindcrime album at Sweden Rock Festival this summer, so hopefully you're a damn liar. :smile:

Just look at the OP: Livecrime video, that is a good example. But maybe it was a bad day, dunno. I love their stuff up until OP regardless, great music. The newer stuff never managed to turn me on, kinda too soft...

Some of the greatest rock/pop albums, or at least my favorites. One per artist/group?

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I loved the transition from Dark Side of the Moon to WYWH. Still some of the best "soundscapes" ever, though I never much liked the second part of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. It's a tough choice to pick just one Floyd record, of course.

The Beatles - Abbey Road

I had to pick one Beatles album. Which one was... very difficult. It was between Revolver, Sgt.Pepper's, Let It Be, and Abbey Road... and I went with AR. It's got a fantastic set of songs, and I love the correlations between them.

Radiohead - The Bends

You thought I'd say OK Computer? While I don't agree with Squeak's comment, I'm also not OKC's biggest fan. It's a fantastic album, sure... but is it my favorite from Yorke and crew? No, its 1995 predecessor takes that honor. Kid A also deserves a mention.

Van Halen - 1984

They are the seminal party rock gods, and 1984 is their seminal album. IMHO, Van Halen I and 5150 also deserve high praise... but 1984 is probably more polished than either.

Blue Oyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus

A surprise choice to many, I'm sure... but BOC is among my top 10 and CE is probably my favorite work by them. A solid set. Handling by Black Sabbath's producer helped this one stand out among BOC's latter-day efforts.

The Police - Synchronicity

Another difficult choice, but add up the quality songs on each Police album and their final effort comes out on top. Almost by a mile, really. Lots of radio hits, lots of polish.

Roger Waters - Amused to Death

Pink Floyd's bassist and lead songwriter made 3 solo albums. All of them exceptional, but ATD is clearly his (final?) opus. "Pros and Cons" is a great album as well, but ATD is more well-rounded. More accessible.

Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell

There are, what, only 7 songs? Thankfully they're all great.

Edit:

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

IMO, with a few exceptions (most of them coming from established groups) the new millennium hasn't had a lot of great albums. Lots of good songs, but Coldplay (and especially AROBTTH) have put out three very solid albums and their 2nd LP probably tops those.

William Shatner - Hasbeen

It's not timeless, but it's a remarkably solid record from Bill Shatner. Yes, he may be a corny actor but he shows some talent here. A funny and emotional album, all the same.

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

I had some reservations about listing Trent Reznor, since I don't like NIN that much. TDS has a timeless nature to it, though. Trent, much like Radiohead, doesn't operate with the grace of other top songsmiths... but like Radiohead, he clearly has a strong grasp on musical theory. It transcends the fact that his music doesn't flow into the ear as easily as some of my other favorite groups.

AC/DC - Back in Black

AC/DC has done a lot of good, but Back in Black is clearly their best.

I also want to give a shout out to Led Zeppelin, Rush, The Eagles, The Cars, Elton John, and Billy Joel. Collectively, they are the rock gods but I can't think of what albums stand out!

You criteria of one album per act reallly cuts my list right down.

Abbey Road - The Beatles
More consistent than their other "super" albums, and as the last they record closes with a fitting epitaph to their carrer (If you ignore Paul's shite epliogue).
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Tapestry - Carol King
Strong consistent melody and lyrics, minimalist production to allow the songs carry themselve.
Actually my favorite effort from a solo performer.

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason - The Floyd
Heretic! Yes, Comfortably Numb is why Jesus invented the electric guitar, but I find The Wall to bloated and thus diluted. Yes, Dark Side Of The Moon personifies what made the seventies so musically rich, but, as an album, I find Dave Gilmour's version of The Floyd more appealing.

Squeak said:
Most overrated album of all time:
OK Computer - Radiohead
I just don't get it. Is it the lyrics? Is it the music? Or even some magic combination of both? All I hear is boring mediocrity and lack of new ideas.
:oops: Oh my god! I thought I was the only one, why do people think that Radiohead has anything remotely resembling finesse?

Why is it that a stereotype nerd always listens to heavy rock?

I have no top 10 list, I don't listen to music any more, not by albums at least.

Ok, I correct: An older nerd (27+) always listens to heavy rock or 70's progressive.
A Junior Nerd (-24) listens to techno or hip-hop.

Edit: I don't listen to heavy rock, I hate most of it. "london-boyically" inclined people don't listen to heavy rock.

First few that spring to mind...

Jeff Buckley - Grace
A beautiful, beautiful album that still makes my spine tingle. All the more amazing that it was his debut effort.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Revolutionary, 100% sampled album. It has this kind of etheral, yet extremely characterful/familiar quality that is still extremely uncommon in electronica, IMHO.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Value for money. :D

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
Tough to decide between this and Talking Book. A masterpiece - some of it seems a bit trite now but for the time the social commentary was as poignant as the likes of "What's Going On?" etc, with unparalleled musicianship thrown in for good measure.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Lyrical and melodic hooks to match their later releases, while maintaining the raw, funk-rock sound of the 80s stuff. Very well produced and their best album by far.

Roni Size - New Forms
Bit of a personal one this as it got me into "intelligent" DnB. Probably the first album I liked that didn't have many "real" musicians in it.

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
This said "I am the best bassist in the world by miles and all you other punks can suck my hairy balls". One of musical history's true geniuses (although I think his solo in Weather Report's "Havona" probably tops anything on this album).

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
The album that made disco mainstream, albeit a little too late since the onset of 80s cheese came soon after. Quite sad to look back at it now that he's all fucked up.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Gutted I wasn't around to see them live. This album rocks so damn hard, although I admit I rarely listen to it (something about listening to Zeppelin while seated - doesn't really work).

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Pretty much defined the Jazz/Funk genre, which several artists then proceeded to fuck up. Extremely raw-sounding and tight as hell.

Some more favourites from recent years - Speak For Yourself (Imogen Heap), S.C.I.E.N.C.E (Incubus), De-Loused in the Comatorium (The Mars Volta), Thirteenth Step (A Perfect Circle), The Vertigo Of Bliss (Biffy Clyro).

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

Heh, I wanted to quote it above as "Most overrated of all time", I really don't get it why people find it any good. Or anything else from them , for that matter.

I used to think exactly that. Something changed my opinion massively though... after watching a few live performances I think.

Back