Photek
Calibre
High Contrast
Moving Fusion
Hyper-On Experience
Technical Itch
Blame
Source Direct
Quoted for truth. Saw Concord Dawn DJ not long ago with El Hornet, great stuff. I'll add Sub Focus, Noizia, Roni Size, Krust, Andy C et al to that list.

I saw The Prodigy live recently, too. Best live music I have ever seen, bar none. 5000 people singing Smack My Bitch Up is to be experienced before your soul falls off the ends of the Earth.

Rys said:
I saw The Prodigy live recently, too. Best live music I have ever seen, bar none. 5000 people singing Smack My Bitch Up is to be experienced before your soul falls off the ends of the Earth.
Yeah, The Prodigy really needs to be experienced live. Not many bands do well on stage, but they certainly do. A truly hyper experience. The same goes for Rage Against the Machine. Absolutely amazing live and how the entire crowd gets into it. One large living mass. Awesome.

BTW, they need something new other than "smack my bitch up" to sing. They have been screaming that for a bit too long now. Of course, I much prefer "<censored word starting with the letter F> 'em and their law!!" <enter huge guitar> :devilish:

Rys said:
I'll add Sub Focus, Noizia, Roni Size, Krust, Andy C et al to that list.

My gosh, how was I able to forget Andy C ... and Origin Unknown for that matter. For those who are wondering what this is all about, we're talking breakbeat music here ... aka jungle, "drum and bass", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bass

My DNB album of the year is Pendulum's "Hold Your Colour", brilliant stuff, the whole thing, every single track!

ChryZ said:
For those who are wondering what this is all about, we're talking breakbeat music here ... aka jungle, "drum and bass",

Heh. I was about to say...I dunno any of the bands you guys just listed. Well, I know Bad Company :)oops:)... Sounds like I need to do some exploring in this area. I haven't really listened to much in that direction since Propellerheads and I was never into jungle.

Hmmm, CJ Bolland anyone?

BTW, The Chemical Brothers are pretty awesome live, even though I generally don't listen to much of their stuff at home. I prefer the Crystal Method to their...erm...method.

wireframe said:
The same goes for Rage Against the Machine. Absolutely amazing live and how the entire crowd gets into it. One large living mass. Awesome.

Yeah, such a pity they parted. Audioslave is total bull compared to both RATM and Soundgarden's older stuff.

wireframe said:
Yeah, The Prodigy really needs to be experienced live. Not many bands do well on stage, but they certainly do. A truly hyper experience. The same goes for Rage Against the Machine. Absolutely amazing live and how the entire crowd gets into it. One large living mass. Awesome.

BTW, they need something new other than "smack my bitch up" to sing. They have been screaming that for a bit too long now. Of course, I much prefer "<censored word starting with the letter F> 'em and their law!!" <enter huge guitar> :devilish:
They did Their Law, Voodoo People, Smack My Bitch Up, Out of Space, No Good..., all the classics, plus a load of new stuff. Hotride is incredible live. That bassline......awesome.

Breaks is a bit different to DnB, technically (I DJ both a wee bit), but if you can DJ DnB, doing it with breaks it easy enough since they're similar enough in that respect.

CJ Bolland is old school, wireframe! Great DJ, saw him nearly 10 years ago the first time. Never seen the Chemicals live, although they're responsible for getting me into breaks after I heard a DJ set of theirs. Should really make the effort to catch them.

Rys said:
They did Their Law, Voodoo People, Smack My Bitch Up, Out of Space, No Good..., all the classics, plus a load of new stuff. Hotride is incredible live. That bassline......awesome.

Those are the must-plays. Out of Space is still a trip. :smile:

Breaks is a bit different to DnB, technically (I DJ both a wee bit), but if you can DJ DnB, doing it with breaks it easy enough since they're similar enough in that respect.
I never got into the precise definitions and differences between all these things. Jungle, breakbeat...whatever...in the end someone is gonna call it electronica and I will just nod. :p

From what I gather, I prefer trance, but then someone will come along and break up trance into 100 different flavors and I won't be able to tell you which one I like.

CJ Bolland is old school, wireframe! Great DJ, saw him nearly 10 years ago the first time.
Never heard him live, but as far as I am concerned "Sugar is Sweeter" and "It ain't gonna be me" needs to be on everybody's playlist. I really like his kind of sound.

There are some other good Belgian DJs (LOL, I didn't even know CJ Bolland was Belgian until I just looked now) like Yves Deruyter and Marino Stephano (RIP). There are so many others as well. I used to love the compilations CDs like Trancemaster and Ministry of Sound, but then I sort of stopped going to discos and raves and settled for FatBoy Slim and Crystal Method on CD. (Yes, I am boring!;))

PS. I have never paid much attention where these DJs/Studio freaks are from because I just liked to gobble up the sound and must admit I thought most of it sounded pretty much the same. A great "tune" here and there. I just know that Belgium has a lot of popular DJs, but I am sure Britain and the US have even more. (I really thought CJ Bolland was American without looking)

Never seen the Chemicals live, although they're responsible for getting me into breaks after I heard a DJ set of theirs. Should really make the effort to catch them.
When I saw them it was just two guys, hats and shades standing by a turn table stand...like a whole stage with just a box on it. heh. Lots of light and smoke...but the SOUND. Holy crap. If you think you heard bass in an enclosed space and though it was big...well, I got news for you. It was outdoors and it was like the universe was about to cave in on itself. It was mostly good because everyone went nuts and then you have these guys up on stage, standing around like they are selling tickets at a train station. Not a hint of movement. Just this sound everywhere. It was HUGE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see...

Lisa Gerrard (anything with her is pure gold)
Venus Hum
Blonde Redhead
Bjork
Kaki King
Tujiko Noriko

I think that's pretty much what's been keeping me happy lately.

Nas
Jayz
Notorious BIG
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Common
Snoop Doog
De La Soul
Tribe Called quest
Public Enemy
U2
Coldplay
The Rurals
Daft Punk
Luther Vandross
Sade
Bob Marley
Heather Headly
Norah Jones
Raheem Devaughn
The Roots

And I love most things spun by Harry Romero on the club side things. Euro house is very nice especially the Brit stuff...

_xxx_ said:
Yeah, such a pity they parted. Audioslave is total bull compared to both RATM and Soundgarden's older stuff.
Meh.. I grew out of RATM..
I still wear my shirt that has Rage on the front and says "all hell can't stop us now" on the back.
I dont listen to them much if at all anymore.
Soundgarden is pretty cool though.. them >ratm.
Black HOLE SUN WONT YOU COME.. AND WASH AWAY THE RAIN.
Nice guitar song imo.
Not virtuous but just killer choice of notes.

didnt realize there were so many metal heads on this forum. as for me:

opeth
testament
slayer
kreator
arch enemy
iron maiden
motorhead
the haunted
nin
lords of acid
ministry
the doors
tenacious d

digitalwanderer said:
I'm hitting up Afroman hard and trying to shake a nasty case of the virtual blues. :(
Nice :)

Dude you got to check out common rider that I linked earlier, one is punky but the other is more indicative and I think they are pretty darn awesome at getting rid of the blues.

Nope, I've moved on to John Hyatt & John Prine already. :(

I'll check those out later though, I'm gonna wallow a bit longer methinks.

Back