"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

It's fan art from a german 3D artist, created before the announcement of SC2. Hasn't got anything to do with the polygon counts of the actual game at all.

It's fan art from a german 3D artist, created before the announcement of SC2. Hasn't got anything to do with the polygon counts of the actual game at all.

oh, sorry, i didn't new that, i've just found that in google image search without takin care of the website. the numbers looked quite high for my opionion tho.

I was actually lookin for Diablo 3 screen, but seeing that http://eu.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/screenshots/ss9-hires.jpg suprises me how extreem lowpoly the enviropment is. That could easily run on ps2 or psp IMO.

oh, sorry, i didn't new that, i've just found that in google image search without takin care of the website. the numbers looked quite high for my opionion tho.

I was actually lookin for Diablo 3 screen, but seeing that http://eu.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/screenshots/ss9-hires.jpg suprises me how extreem lowpoly the enviropment is. That could easily run on ps2 or psp IMO.

Don't judge just yet. For all we know that shot could have been taken on low. They would want the game to scale from low end (that shot) to high end (watch gameplay trailer, looks much better).

Not to mention, the old game isn't finished yet.

Looks quite normal, especially if the parts will break apart.

Does anyone remember the PC game called Messiah? I remember when it was first unveiled, there was a lot of talk about how impressive the visuals were for it's time. I think they said something about being able to render characters with lots of polygons because they only render what the camera sees. I was wondering if they were talking about culling. I'm not sure whether this technique existed in the N64/PSX days.

Does anyone remember the PC game called Messiah? I remember when it was first unveiled, there was a lot of talk about how impressive the visuals were for it's time. I think they said something about being able to render characters with lots of polygons because they only render what the camera sees. I was wondering if they were talking about culling. I'm not sure whether this technique existed in the N64/PSX days.

Yeah I still have that game and I think it may look awesome enough even by today's standards.

Brilliant game! Had very good AI too with a good emphasis on stealth. It is the first game I ve ever read about having different levels of detail depending on distance in order to maximize the amount of polygons and detail on screen at any moment.

Another impressive aspect of the game was its technology to create the impression of muscles and skin flexing to the movement of the character!

I feel that this game was underrated just like Outcast

Unfortunately I cant run it on my new PC though. How much I wish I could play it again :(

Yeah, but what kind of technology were they using for that game? The way they described it sounded like culling, but I'm not sure if the N64/PSX could do that.

As far as I remember the game was running in demo form on the PS1 as stated by David Perry in an old interview. I think I still have the UK Official Playstation Magazine with a preview and pictures of it. The pics I think were from the PS1 and not from the PC version since it suffered from the low resolution and texture issues we are all familiar with on the 32-bit console. Despite that it looked very impressive for a PS1 game.

It probably never saw the light of day on the PS1 or the N64 probably because of technical issues. Perhaps for the possible reason you speak of about culling.

As far as I remember the game was running in demo form on the PS1 as stated by David Perry in an old interview. I think I still have the UK Official Playstation Magazine with a preview and pictures of it. The pics I think were from the PS1 and not from the PC version since it suffered from the low resolution and texture issues we are all familiar with on the 32-bit console. Despite that it looked very impressive for a PS1 game.

It probably never saw the light of day on the PS1 or the N64 probably because of technical issues. Perhaps for the possible reason you speak of about culling.

I remember reading in a magazine about how the characters were made from 100,000 polygons, which blows my mind. I'm not sure if that's true though.

Here's the best article about their character technology.

I remember reading in a magazine about how the characters were made from 100,000 polygons, which blows my mind. I'm not sure if that's true though.

Mostly competly decimated by the engine to the standard.The engine did dynamic decimation based on anatomy rules,if i recall correctly.

Actually it is 100 to max 20000 (tesselation) polygons for characters. I would guess about a P3/K7 1GHz or a Geforce256 with weaker CPU to achieve highest detail based on how the game scales due to CPU and if T&L is active. :smile:

Damn impressive... for that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El-Z9QHvDuU&feature=related

Start watching at 7:00!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQHK8ZWrStw&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news on the MGS4 characters poly models for both cutscenes and gameplay ?
Is the info on the 60k poly Snake model that's been floating on the net accurate ?

10x and great topic :)

Is the info on the 60k poly Snake model that's been floating on the net accurate ?

Absolutely not.

The entire character seems to be somewhere between 10 and 20 thousand polygons in its highest level of detail. Less rough edges compared to, say, a Gears of War cinematic character that may have edgy legs with pixelated textures as they're not in the focus of any reasonable attention. Japanese AAA studios are just that much more precise, usually.

Really? 10-20k seems awfully little to be honest. I mean, they stated that the moustache on its own has as many polygons as one enemy in MGS3.

Really? 10-20k seems awfully little to be honest. I mean, they stated that the moustache on its own has as many polygons as one enemy in MGS3.

That was for the old Snake model. The final one was greatly downgraded. Its easily visible comparing the hair and moustache, heck the old model even had physics based hairstraws!

Though for the one now 10-20k seems like a really good estimate, the polygon hard edges are visible and mapping is not equal to geometry. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

That was running in the PS3 Evaluation System, or as I like to call it, "when the PS3 was quite more powerful than it is now".

Damn it... now I'm feeling disappointed with Sony again.

I wonder of Kojima knew that the final system would be weaker. He sure had huge expectations for MGS4 and he is not the kind of guy that would promise things he doesnt believe he can deliver.

The very first trailer mentioned 60fps too

Back