Yakuza 3

Yakuza 4 Sees Highest Shipment in Series History:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/18/yakuza_4_shipments/

Now in its fifth entry, Sega's Yakuza series shows no signs of slowing down. Yakuza 4 (yes, it's the fifth entry in the series -- the first PS3 entry, "Yakuza Kenzan," had no number), just released today, saw the highest initial shipment in series history. [No numbers ?]

He was also asked to share his impression of the launch. He said that his biggest impression was that younger players, of high school and college level, have increased. He feels that this is due both to the PS3 having expanded its age reach, and the Yakuza series having expanded its fanbase.

Timing is about right. Amidst Y4 and Y3 roll out, Boing Boing has an article on Yakuza:
http://kotaku.com/5498738/get-inside-the-real+life-yakuza

American author and journalist Jake Adelstein knows more about the Yakuza than most Westerners, having studied them closely for years, written books on the subject, and exposed their operations so extensively that he's received death threats.

Adelstein is now sharing some of this knowledge with culture site Boing-Boing, and if you've played Yakuza 3 (or any of the games in the series, known in Japan as Ryū ga Gotoku), it's great reading.

Original Source: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/18/jake-adelstein-expla.html

I got the game during lunch time. Decided to play GoW3 later when there are fewer games ^_^
[size=-2]Gotta save some for rainy days.[/size]

My work is too stressful right now and I need some comical relief !

Venturing into the Yakuza world. ^_^

Tuna, I see you playing Y3 now. Any tips for a noob ? I did not play Y1 and 2.

Venturing into the Yakuza world. ^_^

Tuna, I see you playing Y3 now. Any tips for a noob ? I did not play Y1 and 2.

Read thepatricks guide on gamefaqs from time to time for the side missions. They can be quite easy to miss sometimes...

Anyway, replaying 3 in english Okinawa feels much less lively due to the content removals. The red light district feels like a wasteland....

I hate it when developers took out existing content ! [grumble grumble]
I'll see if I can smell the difference when I'm there.

The game makes the player visit the local cemetery to go over past stories (and dead characters *sniff* *sniff*). Have a pretty good idea on what happened before. The story looks elaborate, eventful and grounded enough. Hopefully, they don't drag it out too long in Y3.

Linking in ThePatrick's guide:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/950186/55807

EDIT: It's another "old school" game where the difference between the cutscenes and the in-game experience is stark (e.g., no audio dialogue).

For a start, I like where the story is heading. ^_^ It's definitely more interesting and well developed than FFXIII.

The brawling is not as easy as I thought. Took 8 tries to defeat Ricki the Viper. He's only a mini-boss. Had to fight like a gangster, smashed all the chairs and tables on him before he's weak enough for the final blow.

I will probably take the game slowly.

Starting GoW3 at the same time (Left Y3 at home :().

Noooooooo... they are ok. Real kids are more pesky than the ones in Y3.
I was not easy to handle when young. Now it's payback time.

My fingers went numb when fighting Ricki. Is he an anomaly ? If not, I'm going to lower the difficulty to Easy.

My fingers went numb when fighting Ricki. Is he an anomaly ? If not, I'm going to lower the difficulty to Easy.

Beat the next boss last night at Normal. If you do it the wrong way, the fight will be difficult. I probably didn't figure out Rikiya's weakness. ^_^

The kids' sidequests were indeed troublesome but I don't really mind. They are who they are.

The other draw is the story. I think it's a very good Mafia story. :yes:

The Ryudo red light district (Tamashiro HQ) does look lifeless compared to the first area. Tuna, are you referring to this area ?

The other draw is the story. I think it's a very good Mafia story.
I've played through the first game but never went past 2 hours in the second game, how much does teh game draws from the previous game ?

At the beginning of the game, you get to visit your friends' graves. Kazuma will recount Y1 and Y2 stories to you. You may quit midway any time.

I feel cheated by the missing hostess clubs !!!

What do you do with the Ryukyu downtown locker keys ? I have about 10 now. Gone downtown to look for lockers with Haruka but couldn't find any. Will be leaving the island next morning, will I come back before the end of the game ?

Found the lockers ! They'll appear on the map after I run into some school girls.

Also explored the whole Ryukyu downtown at day time. It looks like I can find a hostess in a convenient store to go Karaoke with. The downtown is also not as barren as I thought. There are restaurants, pawn shops, small eateries, Karaoke, Mah-joong, Shogi, Dart and Pool games spread throughout the town. There are also quite a few sidequests to do.

Supposed to go tuna fishing now instead of paying 300,000 yen for some stupid fish. :(

Back