XenForo 2 Problems and Feature Requests

So after a quick test, a reply to a lengthier topic took longer to post up than this shorter topic. It was at least 5 seconds to post the 1 sentence post over here:

Meanwhile this post itself was instantaneous in the XF2 issues thread.
Other factors involved are causing delays, definitely not the thread length as structurally the amount of posts in a thread have zero performance impact on either that thread's display and making posts to it. My post in this thread reporting the issue took 5500ms according to Chrome network stats.

Other factors involved are causing delays, definitely not the thread length as structurally the amount of posts in a thread have zero performance impact on either that thread's display and making posts to it. My post in this thread reporting the issue took 5500ms according to Chrome network stats.
Weird. My replies to this thread were instantaneous earlier this morning. I didn't even see the loading bar on the upper right. I did not have network chrome inspector open though. Maybe earlier reply times of being quick were the anomaly?

Yup. This reply took over 5 seconds, felt closer towards 8.

Weird. My replies to this thread were instantaneous. I didn't even see the loading bar on the upper right. I did not have network chrome inspector open though. Maybe earlier reply times of being quick were the anomaly?
I doubt any issue will be constant, but rather load related as if the DB is write stalled or the server listeners aren't able to process enough threads at once. I can't imagine B3D suddenly gained a massive increase in server load compared to pre-XF2 so I'm guessing it's related to the new server framework Rys setup? I just figured I'd bring it up as it is occurring for me 4/5 posts I make since the upgrade.

I just figured I'd bring it up as it is occurring for me 4/5 posts I make since the upgrade.

Oh, I felt it last night when I did some posts in the technical threads, and with my test reply in one this morning and in my replies to TV Shows thread, and even in my reply just before this one and even this one. It was just an anomaly that I had instant replies earlier this morning. I edited my previous post to show it took over 5 seconds, and felt closer to 8 by human counting. So it's definitely not related to thread length or thread existing pre-conversion or number of posts-per-page.

I'm not going to kick off any db indexing tasks, figure let Rys look at the current stats and diagnostics as they are to sort out what's what.

The alerts page seems to no longer differentiate between read and unread alerts. All rows in the result show as unemphasised (topic name should be emphasised, but isn't, when the thread's newest posts have not been accessed).

This contrasts with the new posts page where all rows are emphasised.

Small niggle and I know Rys is working on a color other than the current color (orange) in the forums. So this might get addressed when he does that.

However, just in case this isn't taken into account, I'd love it if there was a greater difference between read and unread threads. Perhaps it's just how my visual system works but it currently isn't very easy to distinguish between read and unread threads.

It was much easier on the previous setup.

Regards,
SB

I’ve noticed the slow posting speed too, will investigate. Duly noted on the usability enhancements as well, with regards to differentiation of various visual elements.

On the post reactions side, let’s see how we get on and how they’re used. If they turn out to be hurting discussion, we can make changes.

Small niggle and I know Rys is working on a color other than the current color (orange) in the forums. So this might get addressed when he does that.

However, just in case this isn't taken into account, I'd love it if there was a greater difference between read and unread threads. Perhaps it's just how my visual system works but it currently isn't very easy to distinguish between read and unread threads.

It was much easier on the previous setup.

Regards,
SB
I've added a small extra visual element to the left of unread threads in the threads list, to help. You're right, in the dark theme it's especially difficult to discern them on font weight alone, so hopefully that little bar helps and isn't too intrusive. It's there on the light theme too, to keep them both consistent.

Any guidance as to what colour we should use to replace the orange?

Let me consult my graphic design department and get back to you. Their first impressions was that the orange was too yellow/bright and the background too dark, but they'd like some time to discuss amongst themselves to work out the best colour to recommend.
Also they want to redesign your logo, for free.

EDITED BITS: Ninja editing still works ftw! :D

Reactions: Rys
I used to be able to look at a subforum and see which threads have been posted in since my last visit (maybe those threads were in bold or something )
but now i cant tell (havnt tried light theme)

I used to be able to look at a subforum and see which threads have been posted in since my last visit (maybe those threads were in bold or something )
but now i cant tell (havnt tried light theme)

They are differentiated with more emphasis and a hilight strip on the left like follows, the Musk thread is the only unread thread:

Screenshot_20220605-220559_Chrome.jpg

I can easily change the colour (red?) and/or make the bar thicker or a different style, to help it stand out. Would that help?
I think it's fine. Clearly stands out to me.

The alerts page seems to no longer differentiate between read and unread alerts. All rows in the result show as unemphasised (topic name should be emphasised, but isn't, when the thread's newest posts have not been accessed).

This contrasts with the new posts page where all rows are emphasised.
I noticed that as well -- read alerts don't seem to get removed from the list. Also the mouse-over feature for alerts no longer seems to function and now requires a mouse click.

Another thing I noticed is when I select a new alert from the drop-down menu it does not always go to the intended posting on the last page, sometimes it will go to a posting on another page.
Edit: Using MS Edge on Windows 10.

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed is when I select a new alert from the drop-down menu it does not always go to the intended posting on the last page, sometimes it will go to a posting on another page.
What sort of alert are they, reaction to your post, replied to your post, or watched thread, or watched forum?

Also, any chance did you set a customized number of posts per page?

What I've noticed with some threads with more embedded tweets or images will load to the proper spot but then as the embeds expand when loading the browser adjusts and shows them and scrolls the window so it's now displaying the wrong location.

What sort of alert are they, reaction to your post, replied to your post, or watched thread, or watched forum?
Watched thread. The most recent posting it happened with was @neckthrough post in the Ada thread.
Also, any chance did you set a customized number of posts per page?
The perference is set to 50.
What I've noticed with some threads with more embedded tweets or images will load to the proper spot but then as the embeds expand when loading the browser adjusts and shows them and scrolls the window so it's now displaying the wrong location.
I've noticed that as well, but you usually end up on the proper page even though the location is not correct. This behavior also happened prior to the forum update.
In the case of the @neckthrough's post mentioned above I ended 2 pages from the last page where the post was located.

Back