Tapatalk support

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Since migrating to XenForo 1 way back in the deep mists of time, we've paid for Tapatalk support in order to provide a better experience for forum users on mobile devices. Now that we've moved to XenForo 2, I'd like to figure out whether that's still worth it, given the quality of the browser-based experience on mobile is way better with XF2. I personally think it's better than Tapatalk now by some distance.

Looking at the stats to see who uses Tapatalk, there is a small core of users that use it frequently enough that I'm not going to just turn it off without consultation, but there are less than 50 of you and it would be one less thing to pay for (although it's just $5pcm) and maintain (that's honestly minimal overhead too).

So if you use Tapatalk to access the forums today on your mobile device, give the browser a go and see what you think. If you'd be in favour of switching away from Tapatalk to the browser, let me know. If you'd like to continue using Tapatalk, let me know why. I imagine users also have other forums they interact with via Tapatalk too, so it helps keep that stuff in one place, but if there are other compelling reasons I'm all ears.

If I don't hear back from anyone I'm going to lean towards turning it off, but I'll wait a reasonable amount of time before doing so, just to give users a chance to chime in.

I dont remember when we stopped supporting Tapatalk at the other forums, but it became clear that they are not a company we wanted to continue doing business with.

I think @Malo might have some opinions to share as well.

Oh God please no. If anyone has any pretense of ethical business, don't have anything to do with Tapatalk.

XF2 even out of the box has great mobile support and can be improved upon. And with PWA support it's even better.

I appreciate Rys reaching out to B3D users though to see what they really want.

Reactions: Rys
I've done some research into what the company is up to, since I hadn't heard anything along those lines. Suffice to say I'll be removing Beyond3D from their listings and disabling the integration at some point later today.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I had no idea. The XF2 mobile support and PWA ability (which I've sorted out a couple of issues for and we're now capable of as far as XF2's checker is concerned) should serve mobile users really well.

Back