Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Looking at this more. We know the design evolved around the need to cool the components efficiently. However, I wonder if it wasn't also deliberately done to make it look less like a console?

We already saw that MS attempted this with the XBO, trying to make it look more like a typical AV component (large square black box) which would fit with their theme of an everything box for the living room. A design that also emphasized quiet operation and cooling.

This looks to be an extension of that way of thinking, except moving away from the AV cabinet aesthetic. It looks more like a modern IOT device. Like Alexa. Something you just put on a shelf and forget about it because it does all the things you expect it to do.

There's no glitz, no flash, nothing to make it stand out other than the lit power button and an ambient glow (again thinking of it on a shelf or somewhere) coming out of the top. I do wonder if they'll have a setting in the OS that allows you to disable the glow in the top? Missed opportunity if there isn't.

The machine isn't meant to stand out. It's meant to blend in and not be noticed.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it came with Amazon Alexa built in.

I was also wondering if anyone would notice the external similarities to the Silverstone FT-03 Mini. I have one, and it's quite nice once setup, but it's a bit of a pain to get setup as it's fairly cramped inside. Anyway, the design is also likely deliberately done to evoke images of a high end PC design. MS, under current leadership, views the PC gaming landscape as valuable and important. It's at the core of their efforts and whether one views PC gaming as an extension of their Xbox division or the Xbox division as an extension of their PC efforts, the two are becoming more and more inextricably linked.

To me, where the XBO at launch looked sort of utilitarian with elements of style (the shiny piano black finish on part of it), this one comes across as understated style.

Regards,
SB

I like it and think it's a clever design. It's simple and minimal while managing to look completely different than a traditional game console. Concaved vent is a nice touch.

Curious what a white version would look like. You could probably put it on the floor/shelf/table and most people would not know its a game console.

At the end of the day I'm most interested about cooling/noise. Supposedly it's as good as a Xbox One X on that front but that remains to be seen...

bOsdyk3.jpg
They look very similar but somehow the PC Silverstone looks bad and the Xbox looks amazing. I don't know exactly why

They look very similar but somehow the PC Silverstone looks bad and the Xbox looks amazing. I don't know exactly why

The hideous logo in the Silverstone design. Right in the center, staring you in the face. It's not cool. It's shit.

When I was looking to build a PC last time, I had this case under consideration, but I could not get over the logo. PC case manufacturers just do not understand simplicity and clean looks. (I ended up going with a logo free Phanteks)

The curved edges versus the sharp ones don't help either.

Thinking more about phil's coment of form fits function, and how this is XB-SEX, I'm wondering if they didn't stick a fleshlight in the bottom there. We haven't seen it's underside so far anyway. I mean, these 12TF rumors are giving me erections already right now. If it actually comes true, who wouldn't wanna fuck this beauty?

Last edited:
I think the name would make more sense if the X was basically a Roman numeral 10 standing for 10TF of graphics compute (but functionally equivalent to >12TF GCN). A "Series V/VI/Six/Sex" (lol) could be the lower end SKU with 5/6TF compute, targeting 1080p using either a binned X-Sex chip or one built around a new APU with a reduced CU count, maybe similar to the 5500XT.

If anything, Microsoft is going to shove Cortana in there and not Alexa. Making it much less functional and completely pointless.

You do know that Cortana is gone from all Xbox consoles? And that they are retiring the Cortana mobile apps as they transition Cortana to a personal productivity assistant? Word is that Cortana will also loose it's Xbox skill. So why would Microsoft do all that just to add it back in for XBSX? They have support from 2 of the 3 largest digital assistants. No need to continue supporting Cortana.

Tommy McClain

I really don't like the name... It's way to close to Xbox One X. "We" don't care, but I won't be surprised if it's another Wii / Wii U situation, where sometimes some people believed it was just an extension, or the same thing

Very functional design for cooling. I think the square side dimension would allow a 140mm fan in that form factor? And put on it's side you can still stack something on it.
Agreed. It looks tall when laid horizontally - assuming the Xbox controller is the same size as mine. I have doubts this will fit inside my media centre. Anything outside the media centre is at the mercy of my Roomba, which was seemingly programmed by Klingons. :runaway:

10ix21.jpg

I'll be upgrading the TV and media centre cabinet next summer so I can plan ahead knowing this!

I really don't like the name... It's way to close to Xbox One X. "We" don't care, but I won't be surprised if it's another Wii / Wii U situation, where sometimes some people believed it was just an extension, or the same thing
My friend asked me, "is that a new generation of XBox to come out with PS5?" so yeah, there's already a little. ;)

I really can't see launch purchasers being confused by the name. By the time grannies are purchasing them for grandchildren, the only S and X on the shelves will be the Series ones.

There's an outside chance that that the only S and X on the shelves at the end of next year are Series as well.

Doesn't this feel a bit rushed? Announcing a console a year before it is released? The PS3 did release almost 2 years later after being announced in some countries but this was due to issues producing enough BR drives. As for specs, a bit higher than most expected but I think 1-2TF up or down is not going to make much difference in terms of graphics quality.

Getting in early is the very opposite of being rushed. ;)

I mean, it seems like both Sony and MS are fighting to grab as much as attention as early as possible, in my opinion, too early. I don't know if this will hurt their sales until the new consoles launch. Maybe they are planning to have regular updates, showing new games, features, etc. But I think it kills the hype build up of previous releases.

Back