Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Well, it makes sense for Series X as it follows the natural air-flow (at last on earth ^^). But I really don't get why Sony chose to create a top-down solution for the air flow. Yes the impact is really minimal once the cooling is spinning. But working against the natural airflow (hot goes up) does not make it automatically better. So the cooler must always spin a bit faster than the other way around. This is especially surprising as they seem to want to keep the console as quite as possible.
Sony's goal was to be quieter than than the prior generation, but seemingly within design constraints that lent to the more shallow box and use of a blower fan. Other elements, like what seems like at least some reports of coil whine and uniformity issues with fan supplier and fan installation point to other factors being of higher importance than noise. The PSU seems to have enough in common with the prior gen's choices that it might be that the components lack the much higher noise floor of the the PS4, or the higher power and more variable PS4 might have made things worse.

Choosing an axial fan of substantial size and customizing it in terms of blades and mounting, and having a design that might trade off some manufacturing cost or volume can give more opportunity for a lower noise floor and more consistent installation.

That's right. But at the same time, the air you heated up goes up and might get pulled back into the system again.
It should be pushed out the back at sufficient speed. If the space is enclosed or airflow constrained enough to change this, poorer results would be expected.

Sony could also use the cooling to pull the air from the bottom and blow it out at the top with the same design. It might just require additions air channels inside the console so the power-supply does not heat up the air before the gpu get's it.
If Microsoft prioritized passive flow, there would have been substantially more airflow through the bottom (mostly obstructed) and not through a partially obstructed side grill. Some of the choices for hardware placement also disrupt airflow if you're hoping for results without a fan.
The fan's direction may be related to dust and debris considerations with the innards of the console being on a straight path from above.

Are you talking about a Pilotwings remake or real world physic?
Real world. Heat is a form of energy, and can only move from hot to cold. Even things that make things cold like an air conditioner or freezer don't create cold, they remove heat. That's why AC units need to be mounted half outside, completely outside, or otherwise vented so they can discharge that heat away from the area you are trying to cool. It's also how heatsinks work. Heat will naturally move into the heatsink and be naturally wicked out into the fins and discharged into the air even without a fan to assist. Adding a fan just accelerates this, to a great degree of course.

It's the same with air pressure. If you create an area of high pressure, that pressure will dissipate to lower pressure until equilibrium is achieved. For example, if you blow up a balloon, the air pressure inside the balloon is higher than the pressure outside the balloon. Let it go, and the pressure rushes out the opening until pressure is normalized.

Real world. Heat is a form of energy, and can only move from hot to cold. Even things that make things cold like an air conditioner or freezer don't create cold, they remove heat. That's why AC units need to be mounted half outside, completely outside, or otherwise vented so they can discharge that heat away from the area you are trying to cool. It's also how heatsinks work. Heat will naturally move into the heatsink and be naturally wicked out into the fins and discharged into the air even without a fan to assist. Adding a fan just accelerates this, to a great degree of course.

It's the same with air pressure. If you create an area of high pressure, that pressure will dissipate to lower pressure until equilibrium is achieved. For example, if you blow up a balloon, the air pressure inside the balloon is higher than the pressure outside the balloon. Let it go, and the pressure rushes out the opening until pressure is normalized.

WRT hot moving to cold, this is true if the particles are relatively static, like say a copper wire or a pan on a stove.

But for gasses (like air) it's more hot and cold air displacing each other as DSoup noted above. In this case due to the difference in density combined with the effects of gravity, cold air displaces hot air. As pressure is equal at any given point, the path of least resistance means that the colder air (in very simplistic terms) will displace hot air from the bottom up as the path of least resistance for the displaced hot air is upwards.

However, pressure also equates to heat. Or another way to think about it is that as pressure increases due to heat (energy) it is displaced or "seeks" lower pressure areas where the heat (energy) is gradually lost. Thus as hot air is displaced towards lower pressure, it also loses heat as it expands which then cools it eventually causing it to gain enough density that gravity pulls it back down and the cycle repeats. Hence leading to the weather patterns on this planet.

Anyway, short answer is that for a gas, it isn't that heat seeks cold but that hot air is displaced by cold air for various reasons. Which is different from a solid where heat propagates to cold, which can be seen as "seeking" cold.

Of course, for gasses there is some movement of hot to cold in the form of hot air particles transferring heat (energy) to cold particles, but it's relatively small compared to the effects of displacement.

Regards,
SB

03:23 The memory subsystem on the Series X was designed to
03:28 run GDDR6 at 14Gb/s per pin bandwidth
03:31 and has a total capacity of 16GB.
03:35 An interesting choice was made here,
03:38 such that 10GB of memory
03:40 were dedicated towards game titles and 6GB were dedicated
03:45 towards the operating system.
03:48 The 10GB of memory has access to the full
03:51 memory bandwidth of 560GB per second.
03:54 Whereas the operating system has access to 336GB per
03:59 second,
03:59 running GDDR6 at 14Gb per second as compared
04:03 to
04:04 the 6.8Gb per second from the Xbox
04:08 One S, made us think about quite a number of
04:12 things.
04:13 We have to think about new PCB materials,
04:15 any PCB stuck up to ensure that we have good
04:19 signal integrity on the memory bus.
04:21 An interesting challenge too was power
04:24 of them, the memory devices.
04:27 Our initial extrapolations of what we expected from the
04:31 GDDR6 parts compared to the GDDR5 parts, was completely
04:34 different from what we saw
04:36 when we built out the system and started running some
04:40 tests.

Yea.. I'm not quite sure what to say honestly. I guess if I don't want to stick a foot in my mouth it's best to wait to see if this gets clarified later. But if this is how it works, I do have to wonder if space is a challenge for developers.

04:58 Finally, this whole concept of of running
05:02 10GB of kind of dedicated towards
05:06 game titles and 6GB dedicated towards the operating system
05:10 meant that we had to
05:12 use 2GB devices on 1 GB devices.
05:16 That means, or meant that we needed to optimize for
05:21 both signaling
05:22 and timing in terms of latency for the different devices.

Unfortunately, someone ... somewhere is only going to look at the presentation video or transcript for it and the internet will likely be flooded by articles or reports that XBS-X only uses 10 GB of data for games. Or I'm being overly pessimistic about the state of the internet. :p

Regards,
SB

Unfortunately, someone ... somewhere is only going to look at the presentation video or transcript for it and the internet will likely be flooded by articles or reports that XBS-X only uses 10 GB of data for games. Or I'm being overly pessimistic about the state of the internet. :p

Regards,
SB

you mean realistic? ;)

I very much doubt that, maybe forgot as it wasn’t important to remember.
I mean, I watched the video, and I was under the impression that they went back to fix the mistake in the video.
Yea, in my mind, OS was sitting around 2.5GB from much older tech talks. Surprised to see the slide and text the way it was, that should have been vetted. Not sure why that even happened.

I can't imagine many (any? Medium maybe?) games are using more than 10GB on the XSX yet.

Also providing the IO system is able to feed data fast enough, then does it matter it has 10GB or 13.5GB available to it? A more efficient steaming system would be more effective, presumably. Looks like the system is specifically built around fast data transfer.

Back